Taoist Tai Chi Society New April Class for Beginners (Buffalo NY)

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wednesday, 2 Apr, 2008 6:00 PM
NEW BEGINNER TAOIST TAI CHI CLASSES FOR APRILStarts Wednesday, April 2nd at 6:00 P.M.
This class will meet every Monday and Wednesday from 6:00-7:00 P.M. for three months at the Buffalo location.

The Process of Learning Taoist Tai Chi™ Goes Through Several Steps

Beginner: Learning the 108 moves of the Taoist Tai Chi™ Set.

Continuing: These classes help the student who has completed the beginner lessons to consolidate his/her knowledge of the sequence of the Taoist Tai Chi™ set, learning to make it a more effective exercise for health improvement. The process of building a foundation that exercises the entire physiology will be introduced through other health improving exercises and through practicing frequently repeated moves in the set. Push hands is also introduced.

Health Recovery class: This class is intended for people who wish to learn Taoist Tai Chi™ but are unable join in a regular class because of particular health or other difficulties and for people who could benefit from the specialized exercises practiced in this class.

More Information about the Taoist Tai Chi Society can be found at www.taoist.org
Event Location:
968 Kenmore Avenue
Buffalo, NY Contact:716-876-7218
http://buffalo.newyork.usa.taoist.org/

------------------------------------------------
Additional Information:

About the International Taoist Tai Chi Society

A volunteer, non-profit organization

chatting.jpg

Members from around the world meet and learn from each other
The International Taoist Tai Chi Society is a global volunteer organization with member associations in more than 25 countries around the world. The Society brings together people of different languages and cultures in a worldwide community focused on furthering the aims and objectives laid down by the Society’s founder, Master Moy Lin-shin.

The Society is the international umbrella organization for the governance of all member associations around the world. All member associations are incorporated as non-profit organizations and many are also incorporated as charitable organizations.

The Society and its member associations are administered almost completely by volunteers, allowing income over expenses to be used in furthering the Society's Aims and Objectives. The volunteer aspect of the organization provides many opportunities for members to contribute their time and talents for the benefit of others, and often to learn new and valuable skills in the process. The volunteer spirit of the Society extends to instruction in Taoist Tai Chi† internal arts and methods, which is provided by accredited volunteer instructors.

Improve, recover and maintain health

We offer classes in Taoist Tai Chi† internal arts and methods at our own centres, at local community centres and other public facilities in approximately 500 locations worldwide. Many branches of our member associations offer special classes for Senior Citizens, and some have a Golden Age Division dedicated especially to improving the health of Seniors.

In collaboration with our sister organisation, the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism, we offer a range of programs in Taoist Tai Chi† internal arts and methods at our International Centre in Ontario, Canada. These include our Health Recovery Program, which provides an opportunity for those with significant health problems to improve their health, through a program of focused and intensive practice of Taoist Tai Chi† internal arts of health in a supportive, calm and healthy environment.

Service in the Community

Our members also contribute many hours of service in their communities. We have supported relief efforts for major disasters, and we assist other charities whenever possible.

The Society has conducted fundraising campaigns for Senior Citizens' homes, the Arthritis Society, The Muscular Dystrophy Association, the United Way, the March of Dimes, and other charities. In addition, volunteer instructors teach classes in nursing homes, and for special needs groups such as the Multiple Sclerosis Society, the Parkinson's Foundation, and the Cerebral Palsy Association.

Trained Volunteer Instructors

In keeping with the aims of the Society, all instructors are volunteers. An accredited instructor must meet the standards set by Master Moy and continually upgrade his or her knowledge through attendance at regular classes and workshops. For the student, being taught by a volunteer means receiving attention that is motivated by enthusiasm and belief in the benefits of the art.

To ensure the same quality of instruction and consistency of purpose at all locations, meetings and workshops are frequently conducted at all levels of the organization. Members enjoy the fact that they can visit or transfer to any branch location and find the same style and quality of instruction, as well as the same friendly atmosphere and charitable orientation.

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been practicing Taoist Tai Chi for 12 years now and I feel that it has been a wonderful and positive experience on my well being, my body, and my way of life. I'm happy to answer any questions that people may have.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what's the diference between Taoist Tai Chi with Wu, Yang style.
except pracitsing Taichi, will you do other kinds of pracitising, as sit crosslegged?

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sword, Saber, Hsing-I, Lok Hup Ba Fa and breathing/meditations are also taught to those that want to learn.
Taoist Tai Chi is a combination of Yang style and Taoist healing techniques. Taoist Tai Chi has very little combat application as the moves are ment to stretch and open up the body, which would leave one open to easy attack.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hsing-I,.....Taoist Tai Chi has very little combat application as the moves are ment to stretch and open up the body, which would leave one open to easy attack.

I was staying out of this but now I am very confused.

Xingyiquan is based on attack is defense and it is a VERY aggressive martial art. How do you remove the martial side of it and still train Xingyiquan? If you remove attack you no longer have Xingyiquan

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could also ask a similar questions in relation to Jian and Dao? Ans as for Liu He Ba Fa (A synthesis of Taiji, Bagua amd Xing-I) how can you train that without martial intent?

Very best wishes

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess you could stand in San ti shi for a good while.
I also suppose on the five element form they do follow the meridans but that can be said on each art. I personally would see Bagua to be more of "Taoist orgins" than Hsing yi as legend has it Dong Haichuan studied with the Lung men sect ( I don't know if that is true) but there is a suppose connection of Moy lin Shin with the Yuen Yuen Inst. which traces itself to Sanyuan gong which goes back the the Lung men.
I do have a question does the sword work come from Yang Tai chi chuan?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have another question and I do not know where to post it but since it is a question about Moy Lin-shin I will put it here.

Where exactly did he learn the Yang style taijiquan that he later modified?

Taoists do not teach Yang style taiji they teach a Taoist taiji and it is considerably different.

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a sickly youth Moy was sent to a monastery. There he was trained in the teachings of the Earlier Heaven Wu-chi sect of the Hua Shan School of Taoism and regained his health. Moy reported that he studied the religious and philosophical side of Taoism and that he had acquired knowledge and skills in Chinese martial arts.
Ahead of the Communist Revolution of 1949 Moy moved to Hong Kong. There he joined the Yuen Yuen Institute, in Tsuen Wan district in the New Territories, continued his education and became a Taoist monk.
The Yuen Yuen Institute was established in 1950 by monks from Sanyuan Gong (Three Originals Palace) in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, which in turn traces its lineage to the Longmen (Dragon Gate) sect of Quanzhen (Complete Perfection) Taoism. The Yuen Yuen Institute is dedicated to Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism. In 1968, Moy co-founded, together with Taoist Masters Mui Ming-to and Mrs Tang Yuen Mei, the temple for the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism (FLK; Penglai ge, 蓬萊閣) on the grounds of the Yuen Yuen Institute. [3]
In addition to his studies and education in Taoism Moy Lin-shin learned a range of internal martial arts including Lok Hup Ba Fa, Tai Chi, Hsing I Ch'uan, Bagua and Taoist Qigong. One of Moy's main teachers in Hong Kong was Leung Jee-peng (Liang Tzu-peng, or Leung Chi Pang) (1900-1974), an instructor in Lok Hup Ba Fa and other arts, who was in turn a student of Wu Yi Hui. [4] Lok Hup Ba Fa is considered by some of its schools to be a combination of the three arts of Tai Chi Chuan, Hsing I Chuan, and Pa Kua Chang. Moy was taught Lok Hup Ba Fa at the Chin Woo Athletic Association in Shanghai. Moy also trained in Hong Kong with Sun Dit, a fellow student of Leung Jee-peng, who Moy said had developed skills in Hsing I Chuan and Push hands.

Moy was sent overseas with a mission of spreading the understanding of Taoism and its practices. After some travel, he settled in Montreal, Canada, and in 1970 began teaching a small group of dedicated students. In those early days, Moy taught both the health and martial arts aspects of Tai Chi. Upon moving to one of Toronto's "Chinatowns" a few years later, he changed his focus, emphasising the health giving aspects and no martial applications. Moy's choice was made with the intention of presenting his modified Tai Chi forms only as exercise, rather than as a martial art.

Moy started with a standard Yang style Tai Chi Chuan form, also saying he had mixed in elements of other internal arts, and taught it to condition students to learn Lok Hup Ba Fa later. Moy called this modified form Taoist Tai Chi. Moy emphasized the non-competitive nature of his style of teaching and of the form (see explanation in here). A teacher of Taoist Tai Chi is asked to conform to and live by what Moy called, "Eight Heavenly Virtues":

Sense of Shame
Honor
Sacrifice
Propriety
Trustworthiness
Dedication
Sibling Harmony
Filial piety.
In accordance with these virtues, Taoist Tai Chi is a form that is taught by volunteers.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply but I think the questions asked were not answered.
Ans as for Liu He Ba Fa (A synthesis of Taiji, Bagua amd Xing-I) how can you train that without martial intent?
This is from East Wind

Where exactly did he learn the Yang style taijiquan that he later modified?
From Xue Sheng though I am guessing the Yang form is from Liang tzu Peng.

I do have a question does the sword work come from Yang Tai chi chuan?
As for my queston

Thanks

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I also asked this which is not yet answered

Xingyiquan is based on attack is defense and it is a VERY aggressive martial art. How do you remove the martial side of it and still train Xingyiquan? If you remove attack you no longer have Xingyiquan

Liang Tzu-peng learned Yang style from who?

I go this by clicking the link

Liang Tzu-peng (Leung Ji Pang) (1900 - 1974) is a noted Liuhebafa Master from Hong Kong.[citation needed] He was an instructor in Liuhebafa, Tai Chi, Baguazhang, Yiquan and Xingyi Quan and other arts. He studied Liuhebafa with Wu Yi Hui.[citation needed] Although a recognized student of Wu, Liang Tzu-peng only studied the first half of the Liuhebafa form called Zhu Ji, and devised his own personal second half from knowledge of other styles.
Liang Tzu-peng is the teacher of Sun Dit, Li Chung, Fong Pak Sing and Moy Lin-shin, among many.[citation needed]
Video of Leung Ji Pang performing the Zhu Ji form of Liuhebafa

It says Taiji but it does not say what style.

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think you are going deeper than I ever cared to research... you are asking who taught who nearly 100 years ago now... With the internet as vast as it is, I'm sure your answers can be found through searching. I am just a volunteer of the TTCS and even though I am increasing my knowledge, I am not the source of all knowledge.

Answers off the top of my head I will help with but to research every single question being asked of me is becoming time consuming.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can go back over 100 years of lineage off the top of my head in my style of Taiji back Sifu by Sifu about Yang Luchan and with my notes Sifu by Sifu back to the founder of Chen style (Chen Wang-Ting) over 300 years and you can't go 3 generations.

And I did do an internet search and I cannot find out who taught Liang Tzu-peng, or Moy Lin-shin, Yang style that is why I asked

As to the Xingyi question I pretty much have my answer so just forget it

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps I can help out DaPoets and Jade Cloud Alchemist a bit. The Taoist Tai Chi Society set is exactly the sequence of Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan, adapted by Moy but without the 10 essences that Yang Cheng-fu placed so much emphasis on. The TTCS sword form is an emasculated shadow of the Yang 32 Jian set.

Trying to find out who Moy's teachers were is like trying to grab a handful of mist. For instance DaPoets tells us Moy left mainland China in 1949 and as he died in his early 60's he must have been about 14 when he left China. But apparently he was also in Shanghai at sometime where he learned Lok Hup Bat Fat (Cantonese for Liu Ho Pa Fa). He also spoke Cantonese not Mandarin as would be expected of someone born and brought up in mainland China.

Some of the reasons I left the Society were these inconsistencies and the restrictions placed on me in relation to learning about other forms of Taiji. I have an open and enquiring mind and do not like being told that I cannot learn about other forms of Taiji or be prevented from exploring the martial side of the art. And incidentally, Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan is not only a wonderful martial art, it is a superb health giving form.

Very best wishes

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some of the reasons I left the Society were these inconsistencies and the restrictions placed on me in relation to learning about other forms of Taiji. I have an open and enquiring mind and do not like being told that I cannot learn about other forms of Taiji or be prevented from exploring the martial side of the art. And incidentally, Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan is not only a wonderful martial art, it is a superb health giving form.

Just out of curiosity... how were these restrictions about learning about other forms (traditional taijiquan) of Tai Chi presented to you? Did they give you any reasons for it?

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
They don't come out and say don't learn other styles, but if you chose to become an instructor then this is the only style you should be a student of at that time.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Moy expressly forbid any talk or practise of martial aspects of taiji. This came round as a circular from Moy himself via the Canadian HQ. The exploration of other forms of Taiji were also considered disrespectful to Moy and again Instructors were expressly forbidden to practise or explore any other forms.

Very best wishes

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
They don't come out and say don't learn other styles, but if you chose to become an instructor then this is the only style you should be a student of at that time.

Any particular reason for that? I know several instructors who teach more than one style of taijiquan.

What about other martial arts? Can you be a TTCS instructor and practice some other martial art?

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Myrmidon,

Quite simply the answer is a big NO.

Very best wishes

Well... too bad for those who heed that silly restriction... as long as they do it... they will not truly know the wonderful world of taijiquan...

Latest Discussions