Taoist Defense Against Brazilian Jujitsu style takedowns

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In that clip, "by using the stealing step to step out of your opponent's attacking path" has been addressed which is the most important principle IMO. If you are not there, there is nothing for your opponent to attack. We should look "what's shown in that clip" and not "what's missing in that clip".

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As long as you don't move too soon, in which case he follows.
:asian:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
come on, guys. I've never seen anyone, in any style of grappling ever, teach the "start from 10 feet away, bend over at the waist with your arms extended, close your eyes, charge (slowly) and hope your opponent doesn't move," takedown. This is so far removed from reality that it could just as easily have been a demonstration of Star Trek fight choreography.

You can't draw any legitimate conclusions if the premise is fundamentally stupid. It's like saying, "If we presume that fire breathing dragons are real, shouldn't we all wear nomex underwear?" Well, that sounds perfectly reasonable, except that there are no fire breathing dragons. Why would we ever pretend that there are?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Other than I doubt it is Taoist and it isn't Brazilian Jujitsu I see no issue here

come on, guys. I've never seen anyone, in any style of grappling ever, teach the "start from 10 feet away, bend over at the waist with your arms extended, close your eyes, charge (slowly) and hope your opponent doesn't move," takedown. This is so far removed from reality that it could just as easily have been a demonstration of Star Trek fight choreography.

You can't draw any legitimate conclusions if the premise is fundamentally stupid. It's like saying, "If we presume that fire breathing dragons are real, shouldn't we all wear nomex underwear?" Well, that sounds perfectly reasonable, except that there are no fire breathing dragons. Why would we ever pretend that there are?

:jaw-dropping: DRAGONS!!!!! I had no idea.....looks like I need to figure out what the hell nomex underwear is :uhyeah:

Being a CMA guy who ha trained Taijiquan for years and also did an awful lot of Xingyiquan I have to say I agree with Steve here.

It is a viable defense but it is highly unlike that any Brazilian Jujitsu person is ever going to come at you that way at that distance. I know a drunken pro-wrestler that did (but he came a bit faster) and that defense worked but you have to add a trip. I would be more incline to root and use Zhou if the person was already on me like I would expect from a good BJJ guy, but if he did decide to put his head down and charge me like a bull I might resort to stepping out of the way, but I highly doubt a good (and sober) BJJ guy would do that

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, this isn't just a defense against takedowns. It's also an effective punch defense against someone who throws punches by charging in slowly from ten feet away with his head down and eyes closed.

Seriously, getting off the line of attack is an important defensive principle in general. However if you are going to demonstrate a defense against some form of attack, it's a good idea to find someone who has a clue about actually performing the attack in question.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it might have some relevance to football and knife fights as seen in West Side Story.

OP
M

Mon Mon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When i first saw this on youtube i thought it was a joke but the guy is actually serious i could not stop laughing so i thought i would share because everyone needs a good laugh from time to time :)

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so the man felt attacked by the martial arts community and decided to extend an invitation to any grappler to try the technique out. The challenge was excepted.

the video [video=youtube_share;lXRf5-sH3SA]http://youtu.be/lXRf5-sH3SA[/video]

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can't work. There were no downward elbows.

Buy the way trying to catch that push from inside the pocket is near impossible. It just comes out too low and too straight to create a circle in time to defend it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The grappling arts is complicate. To

1. prevent a problem from happening,
2. deal with a problem when it's happening,
3. deal with a problem after it has happened,

will require different skill set. A simple example,

If

1. I can run faster than you can, there is nothing that you can do to me. I only need to deal with your footwork.
2. you get me into clinch, I will need clinching skill to deal with you.
3. you apply a take down on me, I will need take down counter skill to deal with you.

Since the 1st clip only applies to the 1st situation - move your body to be outside of your opponent's moving path, it won't work for the 2nd and 3rd situations.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting how the original video is presented as showing a defense against a "takedown", but in the follow-up video he has backed it down to only being a defense against a shove.

Still, kudos to the fellow for being willing to meet with a BJJ practitioner and actually test out his theories.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The first video was a terrible example of a takedown attempt even though the theory can work at times.

Strive To Be A Martial Artist & Not A Jock Artist.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting how the original video is presented as showing a defense against a "takedown", but in the follow-up video he has backed it down to only being a defense against a shove.

Still, kudos to the fellow for being willing to meet with a BJJ practitioner and actually test out his theories.

I'd give more kudos to the guy if he'd met with a decent grappler and tested his stuff before posting that first crap-ola clip.

Shinjuku Kid

White Belt
Reaction score

Agree it took guts to go find someone and respond .... earnest at the least.

Latest Discussions