Taoist talismans, martial arts and Taiwan law

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Elizabeth Guo and I did an article on Taoist Talismans for Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine that appears in the current issue (the Sept/Oct 07 issue with Lou Reed the rocker on the cover)

To give folks some idea what these Taoist talismans are, here is a picture of one I got here in Taiwan. This talisman uses the power/mojo of Matsui to protect me from all forms of evil, disease and misfortune.

matsuicharm.jpg

Elizabeth and I talk more about all this in the article. As a follow up to the article, there was a criminal law case here in Taiwan about two weeks ago that Taoist talismans figured into. I mention this because for a fairly large percentage of Taiwanese, these Taoist talismans are not just some joke or some cultural artifact; but rather they are a real deal with real results.

That is reflected in the fact that in the Taiwanese law it is a crime (yes, a real crime) to curse someone with a Taoist talisman. No fooling; Taiwanese criminal law takes these things seriously. How it came out was the prosecutors did a search of a politicians office. As is the norm here in Taiwan the politician had plenty of advance notice that the prosecutors were going to raid his office. So he laid out a Taoist talisman, nice and neat on his desk, cursing the prosecutors on their arrival. And when I say cursing I do not mean in the **** you sense of cursing, but in the sense of by removing this talisman you life will be cut short.

I am somewhat familiar with the case as the prosecutor victim is one of my students. (law students, not martial arts students). So bottom line is, Taoist talismans are still viewed as serious business here in Taiwan.

It is an interesting example of martial arts in a broader sense. For example the politician involved in that case would (probably) never think of getting in a fist fight with the prosecutors (although Taiwanese legislators are famous for their staged Professional Wresting type scrimmages), nor would he hire someone with a gun to kill the prosecutor but he would use one of these Taoist talismans to attack and injure the prosecutor. I am almost 100% sure the guy did not do it as a joke or simply as a way to give the finger to the prosecutors. I strongly suspect he thinks, the talismans work and that they are an effective form of martial art.

And let me be quick to add, these Taiwanese who accept the efficacy of Taoist talismans are not betel nut chewing farmers with second grade educations. Many of them have graduate degrees from America, the UK or Germany.

In any event, if folks are interested in this kind of Taoist "martial art", maybe have a look at the article.

Take care,
Brian

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very interesting. Thanks for posting about it. The article sounds like a good read :asian:

OP
B

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Glad you found it of interest. I have always been interested in placing martial arts in a wider cultural context. At least for me it really helps give a depth to martial arts.

take care,
Brian
p.s. sorry about writing the naughty word in the post. I forgot my manners.