Talking about training

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember when I first started training in JKD. I was so excited about the concepts that I was learning, I just couldn't help myself, I had to talk to everybody about it.

What I found was that most people were mainly disinterested. I found this really surprising - how could everyone in the world not find this stuff exciting and intriguing? Doesn't everyone in the world want to understand this stuff?

Has any one else had this experience? How did it make you feel? Did you receive any surprising or negative responses?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I remember when I first started training in JKD. I was so excited about the concepts that I was learning, I just couldn't help myself, I had to talk to everybody about it.

What I found was that most people were mainly disinterested. I found this really surprising - how could everyone in the world not find this stuff exciting and intriguing? Doesn't everyone in the world want to understand this stuff?

Has any one else had this experience? How did it make you feel? Did you receive any surprising or negative responses?
HAHAHA I think many of us go through this. Heck that is why we are here on MT. I found out very early that when I talked about my training, other than those that train, nobody understood me and or was interested.:( So I don't talk about it too much to outside of the dojo or MT. Unless of course I am trying to recruit someone.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:

Oh, yes...I understand this well. Even my wife was bleh about my training. I have about 2 people, outside of class, to speak with on the topic (excepting this clan here, of course).

The most negative comment came from my soon-to-be-ex, in which she said, 'I am SO sick of hearing martial this and martial that'. The most positive came from a friend (female) that said, 'That'll buff you up'.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They pretend to look interested in the beginning, but the eyes soon glaze over...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
They pretend to look interested in the beginning, but the eyes soon glaze over...

The "deer in the headlights look" :D

Yup, been there, done that. See I talked about it to my husband constantly. But I figured if I had to contantly listen about guns and ammunition and what type of powder to use, what brass, etc. He deserves every minute of my babbling :D

I tried to share my interest with family, they just didn't care. They were polite but I got a lot of "oh, yeah, that is nice" :)

Basically I find if people don't hold interest in what you are doing themselves, if they don't train, they don't want to hear it. I suppose that is why we flock to MA boards like these. Birds of a feather..:)

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It’s good to see I am not the only one in this situation. It drove me nuts that I would tell friends about what I was learning and to me it was very cool but they for the most part are very uninterested. Even my better half has no interest in any part of my training. But I get even LOL, when she goes to talking about curtains and room decorations I just nicely remind her that this kind of frilly froo froo stuff is as interesting to me as Kenpo is to her.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
they just dont understand. have sympathy for them.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's true. I guess that is why so many of my husband and my friends nowadays are also training partners of ours. They understand our obsession and our social circle is mainly made up of BJJ and karate friends, almost all of whom are currently training or have done so. We always have tons to talk about!

My family, however, doesn't want to hear anything about it. Although I have converted a couple of my nephews into UFC and Pride fans...so slowly I will take over the family as well!:)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Yup, been there, done that. See I talked about it to my husband constantly. But I figured if I had to contantly listen about guns and ammunition and what type of powder to use, what brass, etc. He deserves every minute of my babbling :D

Nice payback. :lol:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely! It proved to be both something good and bad. Bad, because I wanted (and still do) to talk about it all the time and glazed over only begins to describe it. Good, because that's ultimately how I got here with all you good folks! :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't usually talk to anyone (other than here) about MA training. About 98% of the people I told what I do in my spare time, were open enough to not act goofy. However, nearly no one is interested in what I'm doing. I said in another post, how another female said, "I would like to do something like that, but I just couldn't". She acted like it was like becoming a secret agent of some sort.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I have to agree with all of this. There's just this thing - this spark of interest - that not everybody has. It's what separates us from the rest of society. Maybe we're weird.....

But it tells me something! It tells me that the Martial Talk forum serves a purpose for us that nothing else can. It gives us an opportunity to share with others of like mind, because if they're not of like mind, they don't want to discuss this stuff! (man are they missing out....)

Anyway, why not do your training partners and interested friends a favour, and refer them here? The more of us there are, the stronger our community will be. At least think about it, will ya?

Thanks to all those who have replied!

T

TheBattousai

Flatlander said:
Well, I have to agree with all of this. There's just this thing - this spark of interest - that not everybody has. It's what separates us from the rest of society. Maybe we're weird.....

No, most people just don't want to do anything good for themselves....

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that is one of the reasons video promotions and one year black belt courses are so on the rise, cause people dont want to put up with the hard work. Sure, most people I know are quite disinterested in any form of MA, they dont understand that it is not just self defense, that is just one piece of the puzzle, but a way of life.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander I believe we have all been there at one time or another. Real training is what it is about and liking the training is a plus and being enthusiactic about it is icing on the cake.
Terry

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
No, most people just don't want to do anything good for themselves....

Amen...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then you get the 'Karate Kid' weirdos, assuming a crane stance,(though looks more like a stork laying an egg stance) croaking out some funky pseudo kiai...

*shakes head*..

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I think that is one of the reasons video promotions and one year black belt courses are so on the rise, cause people dont want to put up with the hard work.

For the most part, people want immediate gratification. You don't get immediate gratification from MA. Well, there is.... but on a different level that they don't understand.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I used to be in Amtgaurd, A medevial(sp) reinactment group We dressed in period garb and pummeled each other with foam padded weapons and such. This always drew far more funny comments than my martial arts training.
%-}

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of us that signed up for a martial arts-related forum, are probably more dedicated than the "average" martial artist. This is not to say that those that don't sign up aren't dedicated, it's just that I'm only looking at a sampling from one group.

The dedicated folks are going to find the martial arts to be more exciting than others will. There's no doubt about it. I can take a look at one of the classes I teach, and compare some of the more enthusiastic students with the ones that really don't want to be there (and would probably play hooky if their parent(s) weren't watching). The differences in the eagerness to learn and the enjoyment of the training is easily evident.

Some folks who aren't quite as eager as the more enthusiastic ones can still grow to certainly enjoy it more as time goes on. Some folks simply need time to crawl out of their proverbial shells. It should actually be pretty easy to see who really wants to be there and who does not, after a couple of years of training.

Latest Discussions