Instructor recognition from students

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For the instructors out there: have you ever had a student offer "surprise" public recognition of you, your skills, organization, etc? If so how did they go about it? What did they say, etc. How did you react? By surprise i mean you had no idea they were going to do it. Ok everyone, I know modesty is common here, but please share or pm me if you do not want to talk about it for the world to see. Thanks!!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was given recognition during a banquet and was totally surprised. I usually have a good idea of what is afoot (at least in my own mind!), but this came as a total surprise to me.
I am usually the one to think of ways to recognize the students, this was a rare occaision where the table was turned.
How did I react? Probably like a deer caught in the headlights! :)

If you have a teacher that you appreciate, let them know it from time to time. My original teacher does not even practice karate anymore and has moved far from me, but i still make it a point from time to time to let him know the impact that he made in my life. He deserves at least that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
stickarts said:
If you have a teacher that you appreciate, let them know it from time to time. My original teacher does not even practice karate anymore and has moved far from me, but i still make it a point from time to time to let him know the impact that he made in my life. He deserves at least that.

That's excellent. My original kenpo teacher also does not even practice anymore, and I have moved halfway across the continent and only see him every couple years or so. After being out of touch with him for several years, I decided to make an effort to keep in touch, especially regarding my ideas on change and how things might be improved.

He is a leather craftsman by trade, and I have even found a way to sell some of his work here on the West Coast. We worked together to design a sheath for Kung Fu style spear points. These are to keep the point covered up and less hazardous when transporting spears. I make the spears, he makes the sheaths, and I sell them to people in the kung fu community here in San Francisco.

I am so happy that I decided to make the effort to get back in touch with him, and even pursue an sort of business idea with him. I think the relationship has meant a lot to both of us.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
stickarts said:
I was given recognition during a banquet and was totally surprised. I usually have a good idea of what is afoot (at least in my own mind!), but this came as a total surprise to me.
I am usually the one to think of ways to recognize the students, this was a rare occaision where the table was turned.
How did I react? Probably like a deer caught in the headlights! :)

We did get you off guard, didn't we?! :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
That's excellent. My original kenpo teacher also does not even practice anymore, and I have moved halfway across the continent and only see him every couple years or so. After being out of touch with him for several years, I decided to make an effort to keep in touch, especially regarding my ideas on change and how things might be improved.

He is a leather craftsman by trade, and I have even found a way to sell some of his work here on the West Coast. We worked together to design a sheath for Kung Fu style spear points. These are to keep the point covered up and less hazardous when transporting spears. I make the spears, he makes the sheaths, and I sell them to people in the kung fu community here in San Francisco.

I am so happy that I decided to make the effort to get back in touch with him, and even pursue an sort of business idea with him. I think the relationship has meant a lot to both of us.

Thats awesome!
My teacher has once told me that once you learn something, it's yours, but don't forget where it came from.
Now you probably can't remember every single thing you learned and who it came from, however you can give proper credit to those that have helped you.
I can relate to your situation. I had lost contact too but made the effort to re-establish contact. It meant a lot to the both of us too.
That's great that you can still work together today!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We normally have an awards ceremony every year where we give awards for things such as best sparrer, best at kata, most helpful, etc...as well as recognize many people who help keep the school going. There is dinner, dancing, music, the whole 9 yards.
One year, after the normal awards, I was, to my surprise, awarded a nice plaque that showed me with some of my instructors thanking me for passing on what I had learned from my teachers. The plaque was home made and now hangs in our dojo!
It was on behalf of the students although it was HKphooey that made the plaque and presented it. I would guess it was his idea too!
There are many highs and lows running a school. Lots of great times and lots of disappointments. You make a lot of sacrifices to do the thing you love.
But it's moments like those that are very appreciated and always remembered.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My students buy me birthday and holiday gifts, and it floors me every time it happens. I have presented my instructor with gifts in public (usually at touraments) on several occasions, marking his testings, my testings, time in class... although the best recognition DID come from him, not my students; when I tested for IV Dan, he gave me two gifts: a complete copy of the Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do (the 15 volume set, not the condensed single volume), and a pair of cloth stripes from his instructor's IVth Dan belt, which he received from his instructor when he tested for IVth Dan.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
My students buy me birthday and holiday gifts, and it floors me every time it happens. I have presented my instructor with gifts in public (usually at touraments) on several occasions, marking his testings, my testings, time in class... although the best recognition DID come from him, not my students; when I tested for IV Dan, he gave me two gifts: a complete copy of the Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do (the 15 volume set, not the condensed single volume), and a pair of cloth stripes from his instructor's IVth Dan belt, which he received from his instructor when he tested for IVth Dan.

Very cool!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
HK, what did you do to honor your instructor?

Sensei Shekosky has worked out with many of the great masters. He had a great picture with a bunch of them after a seminar. I had made a plaque with that picture and some symbols of our styles. There was an engraved plackard which read, "For all that you have learned for the master and have past on to us, your students" (or something like that :)).

He has taught me and numerous other students that the martial arts are about what you can do to help others, not just yourself.

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On the 10th anniversary of our club, we hosted an international event in my hometown, attended by over 200 competitors from Poland and Moldova. For almost a week, I barely had some time to sleep, working on the event. On the first day, during the opening ceremony, I was presented with a copy of a Samurai sword from my students, with a special writing on the stand. It was just great.

On the other hand, I really appreciate small souvenirs I receive from my youngest students when we start the summer break. Like miniature glass globe or a small bottle full of coloured grain, always offered with a bright smile that really makes me happy.

Gizmo

Latest Discussions