Talk about Fast!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to be critical, but... Is that supposed to be effective for real? Maybe I don't understand the purpose of that type of training, being that I don't train in Wing Chun.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately fast! However when you actually hit something with force you are just not going to be that fast. (you have to have follow through to do damage) Still he is pretty fast!

I must say though that my experience with Wing Chun was very good and all of the Wing Chun people I have met were not only nice but good martial artists.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think he's using the speed to illustrate the technique. I'm betting one or more of those strikes are designed to be hard strikes.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is very fast but they are working on focus speed drills we do them here for TKD but with kicks.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder about those strikes too, though I note they're principally to the throat and eyes, where less power is needed for an effect. Like the chain punches, the purpose is not that any one of them is a KO, but rather that they force the opponent into playing defense and backing up after which point a fight-ending blow(s) can be delivered.

Also, my understanding (based on very limited experience) is that a Wing Chun practitioner may be thinking that if a blow gets through then he'll make it a solid strike, but that if it's intercepted he'll trap. So, the assumption may be that he's trying to get a blow in but expecting that it'll be blocked and that he'll need to quickly switch to that next strike--that is, that on a good day only the first strike might be needed in this sequence.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of my favorite techniques include multiple fast strikes to the head/face with the last one ending at the throat. What that guy is doing is almost the same thing (but a hellva lot faster) as you can see some of the strikes are around vitals of the head.
From personal experience you pop a guy in the throat they're not going to be doing too much except trying to breathe/swallow. So maybe not all the hits are going to be at full strength but you can bet the first or the last ones are going to be.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, those are fast alright.

They are doing Chi Sau, which is a drill used to develop sensitivity and sponteneity. Chi sau can be done on different levels of intensity, from very cooperative so that a student can develop certain responses, to very freeform, where it can almost approach free sparring. It looks like they are doing the drill in a cooperative fashion to work these responses. The second guy just sort of drops his hands and allows the first guy to do his stuff. If this was a more freeform chi sau, the second guy wouldn't just drop his hands like that. He'd be doing his best to counter what is coming at him and trapping those hands. The first guy wouldn't be able to throw all those fast strikes like that, at least not so easily.

grifter

White Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty amazing! The speed and precision almost seems unreal. Very inspirational. Thanks for posting it.

Flash25

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I note they're principally to the throat and eyes, where less power is needed for an effect.

Good observation. A lot of those strikes come from the Biu-Tze form, which attacks the softer parts of the body. The reason a lot of WT/WC strikes look fast and weak is because force is exerted as late a possible. We train to generate a lot of force in a small distance. This allows one to wait until the end of the strike to actually exert the force needed to cause damage. Force is usually applied somewhere around the last inch of the punch, hence the one inch punch. When you are able to exert force late in a strike, you have much more control.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That certainly is fast, but this video shows none of the body mechanics that would indicate power. This is because the hips and the feet are not shown.

Anyway, impressive, none the less.