Taking the Hit

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what way was you train to take the hit and before someone say get out of the way that is not an option for this decussion, lets say some one was kicking you with a roundhouse to your middle chest area how would you prepare to take it in a split second?
Terry

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno Terry if anything will totally prepare you for that first "bell-ringer" sucker punch that you encounter outside of the Dojo..My 2 cents...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno Terry if anything will totally prepare you for that first "bell-ringer" sucker punch that you encounter outside of the Dojo..My 2 cents...

I agree with the statement you can prepare your body to take a blow and if you do how would you do it in that split second before impact, like breathing in to absorb the blow then exhauling or simple tighten up or what evr you do.
Terry

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only initial exposure will come from holding the sheild for someone who is a powerful puncher or kicker or from alot of sparring wearing minimal protection...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have several one step sparring drills that take the roundhouse attack into consideration. However, like anything you have to do a ton of reps for it to become second nature.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what way was you train to take the hit and before someone say get out of the way that is not an option for this decussion, lets say some one was kicking you with a roundhouse to your middle chest area how would you prepare to take it in a split second?

Is being on the edge of their range within question? The reason I ask, is range makes a big difference in how much one would have to do to absorb the kick. The closer you are to the edge of the range, the less you have to do to absorb the kick, because it terminates within inches of where you are at. At that range, I could be exhaling at the moment of impact allowing the decompression to slow it down and minimize the impact. Obviously this wouldn't work if one is too close or well within range. So, in my opinion a component of taking the hit, is having good distance, and the other is exhaling and letting the body compress and move naturally.

The way we train is start off slow and slowly punch into the midsection. Do this for 15 or 20 times. Exhale and let the midsection decompress and it will naturally cave in with each punch. After doing it 15 or 20 times, speed it up and make it more powerful. Do the same and ramp it up a little more. It won't be long someone can take a full force punch into the midsection. This will also allow someone to overcome their fear of getting hit.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it helps to kihap when getting hit with a body shot.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If my guard is up, I, of course, attack the foot with my elbows; however relaxing and accepting the blow while breathing out is really all you can do beside creating distance or getting off the line of attack.
Sean

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another drill we do from time to time instead of punching, we push each other, start with one shoulder, then the other, maybe one hip then the other. We learn to roll around the shove, instead of the typical rigid resistance. This is also the foundation for taking a hit. After you get the rolling around these things, even the punches, start replying back to the attacker with a punch or shove.

I don't know how this would fit into TKD, but they are good drills for being able to take a hit and be able to return fire. Also, it doesn't need to be done very often, just once in a while.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the statement you can prepare your body to take a blow and if you do how would you do it in that split second before impact, like breathing in to absorb the blow then exhauling or simple tighten up or what evr you do.
Terry

Oh man, don't inhale when you get hit. Inhaling relaxes the abdomen muscles and leaves the internal organs susceptible to a strike. That is actually an old-days strategy - pick up on the opponent's breathing and strike the body when they are inhaling. One of my instructor's got killed that way with a side kick.

For the body, sharply exhale upon impact or try to exhale without letting air out.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions