Taijutsu video I thought was great

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
my point is that the techniques in the last video are about as realistic as those in the second video posted

as a side note, in searching for ninjitsu training anywhere near me, this hoshin budo ryu popped up, seems there is a guy in Bay City , MI who is listed as an instructor, too bad their stuff wasn't more like this, (note the head control, which is stressed in my stuff)

Last edited by a moderator:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO I don't think the video of Hoshin school can be compared with the Dublin Bujinkan video presented by Stephen. Both videos you posted I feel are no where near Doug's skill.

Look at Hatsumi's movement in this video:

You can see how much closer Doug is to it then the Hoshin school and the Hoshi school you presented.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, if you weren't here to troll, I'd point out that all the stuff you've posted that you hold in high esteem all seems to emphasize the use of physical strength and while that's important, it's not the be-all-end-all. It's why certain short, slight Japanese people kick the asses of people three times their weight and mass.

But ... good luck with that.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
my point is that the techniques in the last video are about as realistic as those in the second video posted

as a side note, in searching for ninjitsu training anywhere near me, this hoshin budo ryu popped up, seems there is a guy in Bay City , MI who is listed as an instructor, too bad their stuff wasn't more like this, (note the head control, which is stressed in my stuff)

I wouldn't call this decent head control. The guy bends over way too much putting himself in a vulnerable spot.

The other Hoshin video, seems sketchy though I have seen some pretty cool aiki stuff in years past that I didn't think could be done. Mind you, you can pretty much make your uke do anything if they believe in you.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score

i like the guy in teh red shirt doing the nose drag. one time, doing that drill, i had a guy peel me back and drop me across his knee. nobody explained to him that you aren't supposed to do the whole movement.

my back still hurts when i think about it.

regards.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't call this decent head control. The guy bends over way too much putting himself in a vulnerable spot.
quote]

The only time he bends over is when using his own head to exert the force on his opponent's head to execute the technique, the bend makes it happen, you are controlling uke the whole time, I really dont see the vulnerability here.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
quote]

The only time he bends over is when using his own head to exert the force on his opponent's head to execute the technique, the bend makes it happen, you are controlling uke the whole time, I really dont see the vulnerability here.

OK, fair enough. It was just my opinion. I wouldn't use my head like that in conjunction with bending my body over. It leaves you idle for attack from someone else, and or a decent opponent on the ground.
But thats me

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score

note I've only been training for 4 months so if some of my critisms are not well placed im sorry

Hmmm you can obviously tell that you have not trained in ninjutsu when you say somthing like that. despite warnings of you being a troller i still would like to point out that the guy in the second video was teaching and not in a real combat situation. I personally would dread going up against any of my instuctors at my current level.

also the guys in your first video were doing alot of muscling and flashy moves like the one around :37. im fairly new to the art but im pretty sure he should not have flipped the way he did, also his landing was horrible! where was the breakfall?!

around :41 just... no. There is way to much muscle. it denies the basis of what i know about ninjutsu. he would not be able to do that to someone who was way bigger. i should know!, I weight around 120 and am around 5'5'' and I train with one guy whos at least twice my weight probley much more. but i can still throw him using the proper technique. thats the beauty of it. i doubt that guy on there could throw his partner if his partner was more than twice his weight.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well firstly, let me assure you I am no troll, secondly, when you say you can throw this person twice your weight, are you refering to during randori or simply with him as your uke?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well firstly, let me assure you I am no troll, secondly, when you say you can throw this person twice your weight, are you refering to during randori or simply with him as your uke?

Ya know, for someone who says he trained in Judo, this really should not shock you, even in randori. "The gentle way" is *all* about the science of leverage and balance, not strength.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been tossed around by Japanese guys half my size. Maybe they were doing it wrong. :lol:

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My taijutsu instructor is half my size (height and possibly weight). He controls me almost effortlessly. The more I resist, the worse it is for me. There's no muscling him around. I'm guessing he's doign it wrong too. :D

On a more serious note, there is no denying that strength and power give one an edge in combat. However, in my experience...effective SD, combat...whatever...starts with good, crisp technique. Strength and power come later. If one has to sacrifice technique in order to utilize strength, then they're doing it wrong. Strength should enhace, but should not replace technique...this holds treu for all martial arts...not just taijutsu. Look at Helio Gracie...he regularly was able to dominate larger, stronger, skilled opponents with superior skill and technique.

Peace,
Erik

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bah everyone knows old Japanese masters do not throw tires they are skilled in the art of Pachinko.

Speaking of Japanese games I once played an arcade game back in Japan were you are a peeping Tom and the object of the game is to avoid being caught. I recall you had to physically step off a platform and peek without being seen.

tossing around fat gaijin.
LOL

Last edited:

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score

he snuck up behind me in class and put me in a full nelson to see what I would do/ if could effectivly use a technique I had learned without being told to.