Tai Chi Sword

D

disciple

Does anybody know how to choose a sword suitable for the owner? (consider the weight, length, material, quality)
And where do you usually buy quality training swords?

Kaith Rustaz:
"Ok, after a long a fruitless search, I struck possible paydirt. Will post info shortly, once I verify quality, etc."
How about yours?

Thanks

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been trying to get all the supplier paperwork squared away in between various client projects. Should hopefully have info soon...hopefully.

My preference for solo work is to train with live steel. I may take a dremil and "butterknife" the edges first to be safe though. For partner work, a red-oak version. I've got several of the bokkens and have pounded the snot outta them and they hold up very well.

I try to find a sword that fits my hand well, is balanced, and a reasonable weight. Get one too heavy, and you'll tire too easy.

I had some info on the choosing of a sword somewhere...I'll see if I can track it down.

:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's one of the best sites I've ever seen on the Japanese sword:

http://www.meiboku.demon.co.uk/guide/index.htm

They go into detail on almost every feature of the sword and tell you how recognize various features and appraise them. They even try to help you recognize dates and signatures of Japanese swords. Furthermore, they have links to various sites that will allow you to purchase authentic swords.

Cthulhu

OP
D

disciple

Cthulhu
If you have similar link for chinese sword, it would probably more helpful to me

salute

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by disciple
Cthulhu
If you have similar link for chinese sword, it would probably more helpful to me

salute

The thing is, I don't think Chinese swords are looked upon the same way as Japanese swords. I could be mistaken, but there has always been a lot of interest in Japanese swords, for many reasons.

However, if I ever do run across something, I will definitely post a link here.

Cthulhu

OP
D

disciple

Originally posted by Cthulhu

The thing is, I don't think Chinese swords are looked upon the same way as Japanese swords.
Cthulhu

What do you mean? There is no as many interest in chinese sword as in japanese sword? Why?

salute

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by disciple

What do you mean? There is no as many interest in chinese sword as in japanese sword? Why?

salute

I didn't mean in the arts of Chinese sword fighting, but in the swords themselves.

Japanese swords are famous for their cutting abilities, in the hands of skilled practitioners. There is a mystique in the forging process, and quality blades can easily draw 5 figure prices in U.S. dollars. Bear in mind, these prices can just be for bare blades, without hilt, scabbard, and other sword furniture.

I haven't seen anything similar with Chinese swords. However, my familiarity with Chinese weaponry is next to nothing, so if you do know something about the collectibility and value of Chinese blades, please share it with us! :)

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Cthulhu--there is greater interest in Japanese swords but not necessarily in Japanese swordsmanship. Japanese swords bring out the collectors.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. I've seen a few really ornate Chinese swords though... Where does one find the information on them?

meant to mention a while back, mentioning other forums isn't a bad idea...we get some cross poliation of ideas, both sites benefit. :)

OP
D

disciple

I don't know much either, but since I am learning CMA, I am more interested in chinese sword. :D
If you go to swordforum.com, you can read all you want about chinese and japanese sword. :eek: Of course, japanese swords are more popular there also. :confused:

salute

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually Chinese broadswords cut better then the Japanese Samauri swords. I've seen a demo showing this, but they were not using the top of the line for Japanese or Chinese swords, just equivalent quality.