Taekwondo + Judo combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m gonna be studying a combo of both Judo and Taekwondo together at two separate schools. Taekwondo Tuesdays and Thursdays and Judo Wednesday night and Saturday mornings. Approximately 3 hours each week in both arts. I’m gonna do some strength and conditioning on my off days on Mondays and Fridays and rest on Sundays. Both my schools are ran through two separate community centers so it isn’t destroying my wallet. I have some experience in both boxing and MMA where I have competed in both sports in the past. My goals are to get a great workout and for self defense and to be a complete martial artist. If I do compete I’ll probably only compete in Judo. What are your guys thoughts on this combo? I feel it will go nice with the skills I attained in both boxing and mma. I have competed in no gi bjj as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah it will sort of work. Probably want to look at sanda as a way to bring them together.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh nice man, that's awesome!

I remember a little while back you were looking to get back into it all, that's a brilliant combo.

What we think of it? Doesn't matter, if you're getting alot out them and enjoy the crap out of them just go nuts, no need for any validity from anyone. Really glad to hear you've found your places.

Ps. Just thought of it, how cool would a tournament format be "taekwonjudo". Specifically combining those two formats in tournament would be fascinating haha

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna be studying a combo of both Judo and Taekwondo together at two separate schools. Taekwondo Tuesdays and Thursdays and Judo Wednesday night and Saturday mornings. Approximately 3 hours each week in both arts. I’m gonna do some strength and conditioning on my off days on Mondays and Fridays and rest on Sundays. Both my schools are ran through two separate community centers so it isn’t destroying my wallet. I have some experience in both boxing and MMA where I have competed in both sports in the past. My goals are to get a great workout and for self defense and to be a complete martial artist. If I do compete I’ll probably only compete in Judo. What are your guys thoughts on this combo? I feel it will go nice with the skills I attained in both boxing and mma. I have competed in no gi bjj as well.
How well it works will depend on a lot of factors. Some depend upon the teachers, some on you. With your background, if this interests you, go for it.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it will sort of work. Probably want to look at sanda as a way to bring them together.
I already thought about sanda as well but don’t have sanda anywhere in my entire state. That art seems pretty rare here in the states at least where I’m at currently.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I like TKD a lot I’m learning from an 8th Dan who was a two time Korean national champion and was in the Korean military back in the day. As for a Judo my club has been around since the early 90’s in my area and produces good competitors. Both schools are great especially for the price. I’m paying $85 every three months for TKD and about $50 a month for Judo so it’s pretty legit.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you use TKD to set up a Judo "hip throw", or "shoulder throw" that both require leading arm control?

Judo_hip-throw.jpg

Judo_shoulder_throw.jpg

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds awesome to me, Brandon. Man, you're going to have so much fun.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dunno I’ll have to mesh my skills together and figure it out on my own. Will take some time for sure.
You can use

- kick to set up punch.
- punch to set up clinch.
- clinch to set up throw.

Since "clinch" is the bridge between the striking art and the grappling art, if both of your TKD instructor and your Judo instructor cannot help you to figure out how to obtain clinch during a fist flying situation, and you have to figure it out all by yourself, something is missing here.

Last edited:

MasterChu

White Belt
Reaction score
save your time and money learn Leung Ting Wing Tsun

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can use

- kick to set up punch.
- punch to set up clinch.
- clinch to set up throw.

Since "clinch" is the bridge between the striking art and the grappling art, if both of your TKD instructor and your Judo instructor cannot help you to figure out how to obtain clinch during a fist flying situation, and you have to figure it out all by yourself, something is missing here.
I boxed amateurs and fought in amatuer mma as well. I’ll be able to blend the two. I have trained boxing, Thai boxing, sub grappling. I’m just new to judo and Taekwondo. I’m in my 30’s now and don’t fight anymore competitively. I’m just training for overall self improvement, fitness, self defense, mental health, hobby, earning my black belts in both arts etc. I’m sure with my experience I can blend the two when I get pretty efficient in both arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I boxed amateurs and fought in amatuer mma as well. I’ll be able to blend the two. I have trained boxing, Thai boxing, sub grappling. I’m just new to judo and Taekwondo. I’m in my 30’s now and don’t fight anymore competitively. I’m just training for overall self improvement, fitness, self defense, mental health, hobby, earning my black belts in both arts etc. I’m sure with my experience I can blend the two when I get pretty efficient in both arts.
Rock on, my brother, ain't it grand?

Yeah, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions