Tae Kwon Do: Sport or Art

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the topic is misleading, however my question lies into the fact of the following: Are you practicing the art of Tae kwon do for the art and defense or are you practicing for the sport aspect? They are two different things, and each has there own reason. I am just curious.

Hoshin

Matt

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My teacher W.J.Lee tought it as combat.We had no trophies-no tournements.We did do 1 step-sparring & full pads fighting.It was controlled but no point were given.I did A.T.A. of the Chun-ji forms.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Moo Sul Kwan, sparring is a big deal for tournament, not a lot of National and Olympic kind of stuff though. In that I mean it is still traditional tkd and all so the art is the emphasis and sparring is something used to better the practitioner. So with that being said, sparring is an aid. Also, we have to do the Tae Guek and Chong Gi forms. It is all good.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD is what you make it. To me it is mostly a martial art with spiritual, mental, and physical benefits. I do also enjoy the occasions when the instructor turns to the sporting aspect. The sport is like the gravy on the meat and potatoes.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is up to the person taking it, it can be sport or Art which ever suites your needs, me personally it is a way life!!

Terry

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry,

I am with you 100%. You read my topic post of Come Back Kid. I tell you if it were not for Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido training I would still be hobbling around with a back brace and cane.

I am in it for the physical fitness, physical therapy and tradition. My dad is a master in hapkido. I love the forms and training of tae kwon do as well. I can't get enough really.

I wear leg braces so the sparring matches are out of the question. Obvious reasons.

Hoshin

Matt

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cali and Crushing, I am glad to see your schools are more about the tradition. I am with Terry though, whatever suits your needs-just train.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I learn the Martial Art,
I train in self defense,
I play sports....

...I live by the "Way." :asian:

CM Eisenhart

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think you'll get a variety of answers, personally I took up TKD the day I quit smoking for the workout which then evolved into the joy of the tradition (forms and decorum) then into the challenge of sparring (point now, my days of Olympic style are gone thanks to a bad back).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crushing said:
TKD is what you make it. To me it is mostly a martial art with spiritual, mental, and physical benefits. I do also enjoy the occasions when the instructor turns to the sporting aspect. The sport is like the gravy on the meat and potatoes.

What he said. Sparring isn't the substance, it's the spice.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
I learn the Martial Art,
I train in self defense,
I play sports....

...I live by the "Way." :asian:

CM Eisenhart

i think you just summed it up for everyone, regardless of motivation.

very nice.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i do it as a sport but i train for self defence i have fun but its not all games so id say both

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Back when I did train TDK I trained it as a Martial art, but those were the days before Olympic TDK.

But I do not see the separation Art or Sport it can be both.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taekwon-Do, like any martial art, can be on either end of the art/sport spectrum, or anywhere in between. Associations and classes within associations may have a tendency toward one end or the other, but within associations, even within classes, there will be a range of responses, depending on what each person wants out of their training, and where each person, class, association, etc. falls on the scale is not set in stone; it will change over time and with experience.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the sport aspect, but for various reasons can't and won't participate in sport. Anything wrong with sport? No. Can sport be an art? Better believe it!

Rick J

White Belt
Reaction score
I favor the Art due to my age but my kids are more into the sport due to their age and enjoyment of sparring.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me I guess it is all about technique, is it correct? How can I do better etc. But remember, I am moving around on two leg braces. I do enjoy watching a good sparring match, however I like watching the snap and pop of excellently excecuted poomse as well.

Latest Discussions