Tae Kwon Do in MMA

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about Olympic level TKDists is that they are that level in Olympic rules TKD, which has very specific rules in terms of scoring and legal shots which leads to a very specific set of tactics designed against those rules. That's not "TKD", that's "Olympic TKD", which does not really represent the highest level of TKD combat.

To turn the question around how many UFC fighters would do well in a high level olympic rules TKD sparring match? None, I would think, because the rules are different and you learn to compete within those rules. How many UFC fighters would do well in an environment where you cannot trap or clinch and connot punch to the head or face and cannot take down your opponent? On the other hand, most people who train to be really good at Olympic TKD do not train in those aspects so... It would take a very concentrated effort by a Olympic TKDist to train to be good in other techniques...but why bother. By just a guess at observation, even in my mid-size city there are several TKD events a year, giving more opportunitues to compete. How many UFC-style events can the average UFC fighter compete in in his own city per-year?

One thing my instructor has been harping on a lot recently is that what you train the most for is what you naturally react with. He's big on TKD as self-defense and not big on sparring. When we spar we do olympic rules sparring, but we dont spar as much as many other schools. We train a lot in all those things that are not allowed by sparring rules, hand strikes to the head/neck, traps and blocks, joint manipulations and takedowns, kicks to break knees and arm bars to break arms, etc....the full range of TKD as a fighting art. I probably spent more time last week working on takedown techniques than I did working on sparring techniques. We train for scenarios of an attacker punching to the head or trying to bull-rush us, etc...someone attacking in ways that are not legal sparring but are likely to be seen in..well..real life. I spar, and I do it pretty well for a guy of my experience, but I try to focus on using sparring to teach me to keep my focus and to react quickly to an aggressive and skilled opponent doing what I don't expect. Stay alert and aware, strike hard (really hard) and fast, don't get hit, stay balanced and in control, etc.. My instructor gets on me when I do things in sparring that are ok, but would get me hurt if I was fighting someone not following sparring rules. I think that as I continue and put most of my focus into fighting TKD, that my sparring finess and technique will not keep up with my peers. My hope, or my experiment, is to be good at fighting/self-defense TKD and then to apply that in sparring. I won't be as good at some of the sparring-only tactics, but I hope to hold my own just by being faster, stronger, and more skilled in proper technique than my opponent (and I think I'm a long way from doing it).

Anyway, sorry for going astray. The point is that olympic-style TKD has certain rules of engagement that promote certain tactics that are not the same as TKD as a fighting art. So someone who trains a lot to be really good at olympic rules TKD is probably not going to be very good at UFC, and vice versa. Someone who trains a more 'traditional' or 'fighting/self-defense' of TKD would probably do much better, but...I don't see how someone who trains like that would end up in a UFC-style match anyway. UFC is itself just a sport with a different set of rules that encourages a certain style of interaction and certain tactics.

I don't think that's specific to TKD, I think a lot of MAists train for self-defense/fighting and would do very well in a UFC-style match but have no interest, reason, or opportunity to do it.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont really like Olympic TKD. The thing is, Kano develped judo, with the idea of Olympics in his mind,even if only a small idea. not the case with taekwondo. it was more of a rejuvination of a martial art. it existed, then didnt, then did.
My old TKD instructor taught some wicked Tae Kyon self defense techniques, that were really cool. the low kicks were similar to Muay Thai, and the grappling used a lot of subtle takedowns. placing the knee behind the attackers knee and such.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
placing the knee behind the attackers knee and such.

Yeah, we do that one a lot. Planting the toes behind the attackers foot with a bent knee and then push the heel down and straighten your leg; it will cause their knee to bend and if you couple it with some sort of upper body motion like a shoulder shove or a palm heel strike to the jaw and then drive down, they attacker goes down fairly quickly.

Sorta wish I saw those kinda fast takedowns in UFC.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In UFC, the opponent is more prepared than in a self defense situation, and they focus on the main takedown groups of single and double legs and reaps.
On the street, your attacker doesnt have 4 months to watch videos on your fights, and prepare for how you fight.

J

JDenz

In self defense there not bad *** mugs that have been training non stop for four months to knock your teeth out.

J

JDenz

They are allowed to punch but it is kind of a rarity for it to score. I watched the olympics and I saw a clean punch land solidly not score. I really am not sure of the rules if there is a TKDist that does this stlye of compition I would be very interested to read the rules.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Punching is allowed and supposed to score. They are supposed to be starting to reinforce scoring punches more often. My instructor teaches TKD for self-defense/fighting so we work a lot on doing good punches and when we spar he encourages us to use them. In a match recently, I punched my opponent and it knocked him down. Ironically, I got the extra point for the knock down from a legal technique, but not a point for the punch itself.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets just apply a simple formula to the equation. If it works it works. If it don't work, it probably don't work. Wanting something to work when it doesn't, or trying to figure a unique variable where it might work, is silly. If TKD works in the MMA ring, then we'll see it a lot. If it doesn't, I don't predict it to be a training trend in the MMA ring. It's that simple. In fact, it's kind of why the MMA was developed, to see what worked. I guess we could change the rules to make something work, but then we'd be doing what the MMA's were designed to reverse. If we see a trend of good TKD techniques that start working in the octagon or, where ever, then heck, i'll start stealing them. Until then, oh well. I'm really kind of tired of hearing people talk about how their style doesn't get the respect it deserves in MMA. If it earns respect, it'll deserve it. I'm not saying that some TKD practioners won't come in and earn some respect for their style, i'm just saying lets see it first. I know Bas Rutten and several others have black belts in TKD, but i've got Rutten's books, and I don't see any TKD in it. That kind of makes me wonder what he thinks of the style in MMA.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most people who start TKD do not wish to train toward that particular goal, I assume. I will probably do a few small time MMA fights, but I will not try to go for prid or ufc. as have a few students at the school I train at. I have seen a few TKDers in UFC and Pride though. nobody huge yet though.

pnoy_kickfighter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
Judo has been in MMA for quite some time, and it works quite well. Though not very big in the UFC, North America's biggest MMA organization, it thrives in Asia's Pride Fighter. Hidehiko Yoshida is a perfect example. Hidehiko Yoshida used to be one of the greatest in his prime, and he even has a victory over Royce Gracie as I heard. Hidehiko Yoshida is and Olympic gold medalist in judo. Judo though becoming a sport is still effective in street fights.

However, there is another big Asian martial art that is also in the Olympics, but it doesn't seem to have made it into the MMA. I actually have never heard of a Tae Kwon Do Master or Olympian in MMA. Why is this? Is Tae Kwon Do not an effective are for street fighting.

A lot of Tae Kwon Do is striking and may teach less practical fighting moves than let's judo or BJJ, but it is still and effective striking art in my opinion. Maybe it is not the best sole are, but I think it is great art for cross-training grapplers.

Why do you think there are not that many TKD MMArtists in MMA? Do you think it has to do with the effectiveness or do you think it has to do that TKD masters just don't want to do MMA? Do you think TKD would be a good striking art in MMA fighter? What do you think?
As for your question, I think it matters in which training you do. In MMA competitions it is not advisable to fight in TKD olympic rules style but as you can see in UFC the competitors also do some roundhouse kicks and some occasional spinning kicks in K-1 where do you think they got that? You might notice that some of the MMA fighters put emphasis on grappling because that works for them. If you are a TKD practitioner you have to mix it with some ground styles or close range styles but still let people know that you are a TKD practitioner. You can do fancy kicks in real life fights or in UFC if the timing is right for example if the opponent is stagering you can give him a kick or two

S

SammyB57

David Loiseau... used the spinning back kick as a counter to the overhand right.

14207.jpg

14209.jpg

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ya know, there are quite a few head kick knock outs in those best knockouts clips you find all over the internet

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
David Loiseau... used the spinning back kick as a counter to the overhand right.

14207.jpg

14209.jpg
i saw that fight! it was freaking sweet

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
chuck lidell does alot of striking thats kinda similar to tai kwon do

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
hwarang said:
chuck lidell does alot of striking thats kinda similar to tai kwon do
Ah no that is Muay Thai
From http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-martial-arts-chuck_liddell.htm
However it was Chuck’s striking prowess that drew him acclaim as one of the most street-effective fighters in MMA. His Muay Thai skills earned him heavyweight titles in USMPA (an American Thai boxing association) and WKA (World Kickboxing Association) and two national kickboxing belts. For Chuck’s toe-to-toe training he has remained with The Pit’s John Hackleman as his kickboxing instructor.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I give mention to 2 TKD blackbelts in the UFC, and one who used to be.

Bas Rutten- 3rd degree BB in TKD
Robbie Lawler- blackbelt
Yves Edwards- Blackbelt

these are some of the best fighters of past and present. mind you, they train MMA and stuff, but TKD seems to be good for MMA training.

Interesting...but that doesn't qualify the art if they're not using the methods from it. Erik Paulsen has a third dan in TKD, and he really never used too much of it in the ring.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions