Tae Kwon Do Forms Book

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got done reading tthis bookcalled Tae Kwon Do Forms revised ed. 1991 complete & official forms of the World Tae Kwon Do association.
International Council on Martial Art Education.

Ehat I found interesting is this part,
The ten Comandments of Form Training

1.Memorize the line of movement, the sequence and direction of the techniques in the form.

2. In assuming the ready stance be calm, cautious and courageous.Evenif this attitude is not outwardly expressed, it must be felt each time the form is begun.

3.In learning the form, gradually speed up the movements, being careful to maintain good form in the execution of the techniques.

4. The execution of each movement must be dynamic. When a yell (kihap) is called for, it must be sharp and load, reflecting the strong spirit of the proformer.

5. Maintain an objective focus. Lookstraight forward in executing a block, punch or kick, you should see and visualize the target area but not look at it. The gaze should not wonder or concentrate on a specific technique or stance being executed.

6. In turning, look first, then turn, remember that in the forms one defends against multiple, imaginary attackers. One must see the direction from which an attack is coming before one can defend against it.

7. In walking, maintain pose, balance and a good stance. Hips and shoulders should both move on an even plane and not up and down from one stance to the next.

8. Relax while assuming the stance and executing the technique until the instance the technique would impact the opponet. Then focus sharply on the end of the technique bringing all the body strength (momentarily) into the technique. One must not be tense thoughout the movement as this inhibits speed in both aestheticsquality and effectiveness of the technique.

9. Be certain to practice the forms form different angles so as not to become disoriented if the form is practiced in strange surroundings. The movements should be performed once per second except withen instructions call for a slow movement performed with tension.

10. Return to the ready stance, calmly, gracefully and with satisfaction. Remember that forms are best learned from a Master Instructor.

What I find amazing is they are call the Ten Comandments and that it really never goes into the actual techniques, if they are suppose to teach only proper movement would not a better name like memorize the movements of TKD and not the latter. Very disappointed book nothing really in it and it looks like it was done for a four year old. What is everybody else take on the above 10?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the list of those 10 commandments is useful in a general sense. I think it gives someone a good "backbone" to practice forms with...especially a whitebelt.

I never really heard those commandments expressed out loud before...it was always an understood thing.

I do think, though, that the title is very misleading. I could see it titled "A Beginner's Guide to Form Expression".

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I find amazing is they are call the Ten Comandments and that it really never goes into the actual techniques, if they are suppose to teach only proper movement would not a better name like memorize the movements of TKD and not the latter. Very disappointed book nothing really in it and it looks like it was done for a four year old. What is everybody else take on the above 10?

My take: this kind of claptrap treats hyungs as though they were a kind of violent-looking solo ballroom dancing. Everything is about the performance, nothing about the purpose. It's like a set of instructions on How to Learn to Fix a Manual Transmission:

1. Open the instruction booklet with a firm, confident flip of the hand;

2. Pronounce the first paragraph of the booklet in a deep voice at a dignified, measured tempo...

And so on. :rolleyes:

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These are not unreasonable instructions for pattern performance for physical education, i.e. gymnastics, active meditation, etc. I do think patterns have some value for these purposes.

Latest Discussions