Sylvia vs. Couture

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
March 3rd will be here soon! I'm really looking forward to this fight. For this thread, I thought that we could discuss the strengths/weaknesses of each fighter and what each will need to do in order to get the win.

Thoughts?

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Couture needs to get past and under Sylvia's fists and deal with his sprawl. For as boring as the Monson fight was, Sylvia did show great takedown defense.

Sylvia needs to be more agressive (which Couture has been calling him out on) and go for the win.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Couture needs to get past and under Sylvia's fists and deal with his sprawl. For as boring as the Monson fight was, Sylvia did show great takedown defense.

Sylvia needs to be more agressive (which Couture has been calling him out on) and go for the win.

I agree. You summarized my thoughts well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think just somes it up as best as I can

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well Sylvia is a huge guy. If and only if Couture gets under those big long arms will he win. Just a thought. However, if he takes Tim down he has to do more with the opportunity than big muscle bound Jeff was able to.

I really honestly think that Jeff beat himself mentally.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ace up Couture's sleeve is the fact that he was actually once one of syliva's instructors and proberly knows him better then most people Timmy has faced.
Also Couture said he's already spotted a weakness in Sylvia's technique not sure what, as boring as it is to watch jab and sprawl seems to work for him and as we've seen Tim has some bite in his right hand.
One thing for sure is I cant see Randy fighting Tim's fight, I cant see him repeatedly eating jabs while walking around the octagon randy is smarter then that………I hope!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Tim has size on his side. I don't think that Randy will fall victim to Tims fight game. Now, I don't know alot about Monson, but as far as ground skill goes, I think I have to lean more towards Randy.

Mike

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Monsoon has a very good ground, i think he was a bjj black belt, not to sure what he was thinking when he fought Timmy.

Randy likes to clinch before performing a take down...maybe he will try to push timmy against the fence first?
We all know randy like to throw punches fron the clinch...maybe the plan???

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a fight that really could go either way. I am not a fan to Sylvia but this may be a tough fight for Randy. Should make for an interesting night!
icon14.gif

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Randy will crowd him against the fence, take him down, and ground and pound him.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Randy will crowd him against the fence, take him down, and ground and pound him.

No. Sylvia will jab, jab, jab and..........oh yeah jab. He will then unload a right cross after Randy has started to slowdown from boredom and wondering if this is real or a bad dream.

Someone had to give an opposing view :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My biggest fear for Randy is that he is older and substantially lighter. I do not like the way Sylvia fights one bit nor do I think he is particularly all that skilled. (his fights are boring) Having said that though he is very big! Should be a good fight and let's hope that Randy win's!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think he holds a black belt, but he has submitted black belts, and has a ton of experience. Randy couture recently showed great grappling ability against Jacare, so they are probably about even

Latest Discussions