Swords not on for public practice in London

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear. Are you insinuating that that the police officers can't tell the difference between someone using an article for it's intended purpose and someone using an article to commit assault? If you have no intention of committing a crime why would you worry about carrying anything like a briefcase, umbrella or cane in public?
As a tool to use against someone committing assault upon you, of course. "Self Defense." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a tool to use against someone committing assault upon you, of course. "Self Defense." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Using an article in self defence isn't a crime here so still no need to worry about carrying it. You only have to worry about carrying anything if you use it to commit a crime otherwise you are fine.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Using an article in self defence isn't a crime here so still no need to worry about carrying it. You only have to worry about carrying anything if you use it to commit a crime otherwise you are fine.
So I have been given to understand. Nevertheless, my reply was in specific response to your question, "If you have no intention of committing a crime why would you worry about carrying anything like a briefcase, umbrella or cane in public?" Well, that's why. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have been given to understand. Nevertheless, my reply was in specific response to your question, "If you have no intention of committing a crime why would you worry about carrying anything like a briefcase, umbrella or cane in public?" Well, that's why. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Sorry, I don't understand your comment, why would you worry about carrying things you can use to defend yourself?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand your comment, why would you worry about carrying things you can use to defend yourself?
Perhaps it's that "Two Nations divided by a common language" thing again.

I understood your question to be more generally, "why would you desire to carry these items?," when, apparently, the question is, "why would you experience concern or anxiety when choosing to carry these items?"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's that "Two Nations divided by a common language" thing again.

I understood your question to be more generally, "why would you desire to carry these items?," when, apparently, the question is, "why would you experience concern or anxiety when choosing to carry these items?"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

No, I definitely wasn't asking why would you want to carry these articles! it was specifically that if you aren't intending to commit a crime why would you been concerned/worried about carrying them?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I definitely wasn't asking why would you want to carry these articles! it was specifically that if you aren't intending to commit a crime why would you been concerned/worried about carrying them?

Could be a question of how carrying swords and knives relates to the norm or baseline. If you live in a relatively weapons free society, why would you want people walking around big sharp blades? It definitely would not make you feel safer.

On the other hand, supposed you lived in an imaginary cowboy-sort of place where just about anybody can walk around with a firearm, openly or concealed, with no license or permit necessary. ...Where people show up at rallies and speeches by politicians they oppose with assault rifles hanging from their shoulders and the police can do no more than to ask them to maintain a discrete distance. That in spite of mass shootings in the area that killed many and seriously wounded and permanently disabled one of their congressional representatives.

In such a place, someone practicing martial arts forms in a park with a non-functional sword might actually seem pretty innocuous. Maybe even peaceful. :confused:

BTW this isn't some Swiftian parody. Such a fabled land actually exists. It's where I live. :)

Latest Discussions