Swords not on for public practice in London

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally stupid knowing the law and flouting it like that. I'm sure too that it would have disturbed anyone who saw him, coming not so long after the beheading of a soldier not far from there. There is no reason he can't own and practice with them in private but why he thought it was a good idea to take them out in public beats me.
Now, before everyone starts on about the UK laws and how they are wrong, misguided and where they live is much better etc etc, I'll just say they are our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs so really it doesn't concern anyone else. :cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol Tez are you having a bad day?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Tez are you having a bad day?

Not in the least, just pre-empting the usual comments that appear on here about anything like this. Over the years a number of posts like this bring out those who disapprove of our laws who start pontificating, it gets tiresome I'm afraid. It was even worse when we had the 'political' section and it was about gun control, one side or the other would write out something about the UK to make a point appropriate to whatever stance they were taking and it would all get very heated so I'm getting my rebuttals in first LOL.
It's against the law to take weapons out in public...so what.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Totally stupid knowing the law and flouting it like that. I'm sure too that it would have disturbed anyone who saw him, coming not so long after the beheading of a soldier not far from there. There is no reason he can't own and practice with them in private but why he thought it was a good idea to take them out in public beats me.
Maybe he's incredulous that simply practicing with them "in public" would be considered "bad."

More likely, the poor soul probably can't afford or doesn't have access to a "private" location which has enough space to swing his hunks of metal about. I'm basing this guess on what I've seen in the U.S., I admit. People who can't afford a private training hall, have to make do with back yards and the like. If they're an apartment dweller (called a "flat," right?), then they have, literally, no choice but to go to the park and find a clear spot there. Surely you've got Tai Chi-ers who do that there, right? So, to an extent, some might throw "class warfare against the poor!" into the battle cry.

there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs
Yes there is and yes there are. I'm "plugged into" the HEMA community a bit and I know for a fact there is outrage amongst the community over the strict laws and there has, in fact, been "grassroots" lobbying efforts to change them. Do you not remember the "Save Our Swords" campaign?

so really it doesn't concern anyone else. :cool:
Unless you're a martial artist and want to both visit and practice a sword art. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not in the least, just pre-empting the usual comments that appear on here about anything like this. Over the years a number of posts like this bring out those who disapprove of our laws who start pontificating, it gets tiresome I'm afraid.
Yeah, I get that.

It was even worse when we had the 'political' section and it was about gun control, one side or the other would write out something about the UK to make a point appropriate to whatever stance they were taking and it would all get very heated so I'm getting my rebuttals in first LOL.
I get that too. But claiming that everyone there apparently likes those particular laws and there's no voter pushback against them is inaccurate.

It's against the law to take weapons out in public...so what.
So, to a lot of us, this isn't logical and they're going to want to try to discuss and debate the pros and cons. It's unavoidable when these sort of stories are posted. Just part of being human.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training outdoors is not common here. There's plenty of cheap places to train with your sword if you wish, village, church and community halls, youth clubs etc cost a couple of quid to hire.
At the moment changing the laws on weapons is the last thing on anyone's minds, we have far larger things to worry about, number one today half of England ( the bit I'm in to boot, though I live high enough not to worry about being flooded we can still be cut off) is disappearing under water, we have the most awful floods, in a few hours the tide is high again and the floods which are already at chest height will get worse. We have economic problems, refugee problems, a war problem ( Afghanistan is kicking off again) we have people dying because the government says they are fit for work when they aren't, shall I go on. The fact that some specific martial arts community who of course are shall we say biased discuss the weapons laws doesn't mean the whole country is. The rest of the country is more interested in whether we are staying in the EU or not, it's a matter of priorities, weapons are very low on that list.
If people chose to use something like this to criticise a country not theirs then they shouldn't be surprised if the 'natives' get restive. If I posted up something critical of the US do you think anyone would not say anything? How much flak do you think I'd get? A chap broke the law taking his swords out uncovered, that's it, there's no story here. Oh and we like our laws even more after foreigners tell us they don't like them lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I posted up something critical of the US do you think anyone would not say anything?
lol.. go for it. you'll probably be correct. The U.S. is full of crazy stuff especially in the legal system. The next time someone gives you a hard time about the laws in your area. Just look up one of the many stupid laws in the U.S. and post that as your response. That should provide you with 20 years of good responses.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training outdoors is not common here. There's plenty of cheap places to train with your sword if you wish, village, church and community halls, youth clubs etc cost a couple of quid to hire.
And everybody has that? If the economic problems you list below are true, then I rather doubt that everyone has that much disposable income.

At the moment changing the laws on weapons is the last thing on anyone's minds,
Again, this is demonstrably not true. While it might not be on everyone's minds, saying that it's on no ones is simply not true.

we have far larger things to worry about
Just like everyone else. Doesn't mean you get to misrepresent facts to support your point of view. Fact is, not everyone there is happy with the law and those people are, in fact, working to get it changed, despite what you earlier wrote.

The fact that some specific martial arts community who of course are shall we say biased discuss the weapons laws doesn't mean the whole country is.
The only one who characterized "the whole country" is you. You already said, "are our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs." All three of those statements of fact are inaccurate. Not everyone there "likes them," there is, in fact, an "outcry for them to be changed," and there are, in fact, people there "lobbying their MPs." Just because they have a vested interest in the item in question doesn't automatically exempt them from the set of "everyone in England."

If people chose to use something like this to criticise a country not theirs then they shouldn't be surprised if the 'natives' get restive.
So far, the only persons in this thread specifically criticizing the referenced laws are the people who also live in England/GB which I already referenced and linked to. If I lived there, yes, I would be highly critical of them and work to change them. But I've deliberately left that alone, preferring, instead, to simply point out that your claim that everyone there likes 'em just fine is simply not true. It is, at best, misrepresenting the issue; rosily painting it, per se.

If I posted up something critical of the US do you think anyone would not say anything? How much flak do you think I'd get? A chap broke the law taking his swords out uncovered, that's it, there's no story here. Oh and we like our laws even more after foreigners tell us they don't like them lol.
I get that, but, despite the fact that you, personally, would LIKE it to be "there's no story here," in fact, there is. It made the news in the Standard and it is of interest to any martial artist who used "swords," including Kobudo practitioners, as well as historians and researchers. I agree that "martial artists" are a rather small subset of any Western population, but they're certainly not 'nobody'. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs." All three of those statements of fact are inaccurate.
Are they? I've not heard of any outcry to change our weapons laws, or of anyone lobbying their MP.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I referenced the "Save Our Swords" campaign and gave a link up-thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I don't think referencing as campaign that happened more than 10 years ago disproves Taz's points. I think her take on the situation is more accurate.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think referencing as campaign that happened more than 10 years ago disproves Taz's points. I think her take on the situation is more accurate.
These people haven't gone away. I trade posts with them regularly on Face Book. The fact is that, no Tez's statements that "our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs" are all demonstrably wrong.

I understand that, to her, it's unimportant and that she doesn't like foreigners maligning British laws. I get that. But her supporting claims that they "are our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs" shouldn't have been used in support because the claims aren't accurate.

Perhaps you'd like me to give you an introduction Maestro Macdonald, Martin Austwick, or Dr. Milo Thurston of Oxford?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Their laws, they can do as they like, and those who don't like them can lobby as they like, regardless of what I think of them.

It would be disastrous for sword arts here in Canada if such laws were put in place. It is very difficult to get training space at any price in an urban area, and getting it for cheap is well, impossible. Our own venue costs a lot of money and it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum. This forces many groups and individuals who are apartment dwellers to train in parks. Thankfully here in Calgary, there are numerous weapons groups that train in parks so the public is used to it and don't really bat an eye. It would certainly choke some groups nearly out of existence, since those without indoor training space can't practice in the winter at all unless you're willing to risk frostbite. Practicing outdoors in -35C is no fun, I've done it.

Fortunately, here weapons laws are intent-based. If someone uses a baseball bat to attack someone, it's classed as a "weapon". If I have a sword and am obviously training in a park and not bothering anyone, it's "sporting equipment" or similar. That's a good compromise, I think.

I wouldn't take a sharp out to the park though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And everybody has that? If the economic problems you list below are true, then I rather doubt that everyone has that much disposable income.

Er, how much do you think a couple of quid is? 'that much disposable income', I'm sure if they can afford to buy swords they can afford what at today's exchange rate is just under three American dollars for a couple of hours practice.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their laws, they can do as they like, and those who don't like them can lobby as they like, regardless of what I think of them.
Quite so.

It would be disastrous for sword arts here in Canada if such laws were put in place. It is very difficult to get training space at any price in an urban area, and getting it for cheap is well, impossible. Our own venue costs a lot of money and it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum. This forces many groups and individuals who are apartment dwellers to train in parks.
Indeed. It is similar here in many places in the U.S. Given how urbanized Britain is, in comparison with the U.S. and Canada, I'm really surprised to hear that training areas are comparatively cheap, nor does it agree with what I've been told of the cost of training areas by my friends living here, though I admit that is primarily London based and so may be less representative.

Thankfully here in Calgary, there are numerous weapons groups that train in parks so the public is used to it and don't really bat an eye. It would certainly choke some groups nearly out of existence, since those without indoor training space can't practice in the winter at all unless you're willing to risk frostbite. Practicing outdoors in -35C is no fun, I've done it.

Fortunately, here weapons laws are intent-based. If someone uses a baseball bat to attack someone, it's classed as a "weapon". If I have a sword and am obviously training in a park and not bothering anyone, it's "sporting equipment" or similar. That's a good compromise, I think.
In the U.S., it is often very circumstantial. A lone individual in the park may get a "man with a weapon" call and a friendly visit from the police. Groups tend to be ignored with the assumption that they're martial artists or LARPers. Some cities and states have varying codes as well, along with varying degrees of enforcement. New York State isn't the same as New York City, never mind Dayton, Ohio.

I wouldn't take a sharp out to the park though.
I wouldn't either, though that's more because I simply don't trust that passers-by wouldn't be stupid enough to do something dumb. I just had an image of some cell-phone zombie walking directly into the blade path. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These people haven't gone away. I trade posts with them regularly on Face Book. The fact is that, no Tez's statements that "our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs" are all demonstrably wrong.

I understand that, to her, it's unimportant and that she doesn't like foreigners maligning British laws. I get that. But her supporting claims that they "are our laws and we like them, there's no outcry for them to be changed, no one is lobbying their MPs" shouldn't have been used in support because the claims aren't accurate.

Perhaps you'd like me to give you an introduction Maestro Macdonald, Martin Austwick, or Dr. Milo Thurston of Oxford?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Perhaps I've just had too much crap thrown at me on this site by Americans who choose to criticise British laws to be inclined to take a more objective view. So, a few people you know want the law changed, and that means what? I'm lying, well perhaps I've just got a wider view of the issues, rather than of a few ( and of the millions here it really is a few, does it even reach three figures?) who are obviously going to be biased because it's their interest rather than that of the majority of people. As for Oxford people meh, I'm a Cambridge person. :D

Oh and London prices really do not reflect the rest of the UK.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Er, how much do you think a couple of quid is? 'that much disposable income',
According to the exchange rate sites I check, it fluctuates. :)

I'm sure if they can afford to buy swords they can afford what at today's exchange rate is just under three American dollars for a couple of hours practice.
You'd think, but that's not necessarily so. I know some folks who have to scrimp and save for a fair period to be able to afford an entry level beater and would be hard pressed to cut an extra $5-10 every week (assuming they want to practice more than once per week) out of the family budget. Over the course of a year, that adds up to real money. I also know of a few folks who would have none at all but for loaners and gifts. I suppose that all but the most down trodden could afford an extra "couple of quid" every other month or so, but would you be willing to only train once a month?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps I've just had too much crap thrown at me on this site by Americans who choose to criticise British laws to be inclined to take a more objective view.
I get that. I've tried to avoid making any sort of value statements or personal opinions upon the law itself in this thread, until pressed to do so.

So, a few people you know want the law changed, and that means what? I'm lying,
I don't recall accusing you of lying anywhere. Would you mind terribly linking to it to refresh my memory? What I do recall writing is that a particular set of statements you made were inaccurate. I made no attempt to attribute motive or reason to why the statements were inaccurate. When faced with the fact that what a person has previously said or believed is demonstrably not so, a reasonable person would simply adjusts their statements and accept it: "Oh, I wasn't aware of those guys until now." However, that's not human nature is it?

well perhaps I've just got a wider view of the issues, rather than of a few ( and of the millions here it really is a few, does it even reach three figures?)
A number greater than 0 would be all which is required to refute the statement. Nevertheless, I can assure you that the issue is far greater than 0. It is a "big deal" among the HEMA community which, even in Britain, numbers greater than 0. I'm given to understand that it easily crests the three figures threshold in London alone. Is this a vast and seething multitude? I doubt it. But neither is the entire population of martial artists in any western nation, of which HEMA groups are a subset, as I believe I already wrote.

who are obviously going to be biased because it's their interest rather than that of the majority of people.
Ummm... So? Just because they have a specific interest somehow makes their positions irrelevant? I don't get it?

As for Oxford people meh, I'm a Cambridge person. :D
I get that too. My brother's a Michigan fan... living in Ohio. :)

Oh and London prices really do not reflect the rest of the UK.
Good to know.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the exchange rate sites I check, it fluctuates. :)

You'd think, but that's not necessarily so. I know some folks who have to scrimp and save for a fair period to be able to afford an entry level beater and would be hard pressed to cut an extra $5-10 every week (assuming they want to practice more than once per week) out of the family budget. Over the course of a year, that adds up to real money. I also know of a few folks who would have none at all but for loaners and gifts. I suppose that all but the most down trodden could afford an extra "couple of quid" every other month or so, but would you be willing to only train once a month?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

And? I'm not going to nit pick about who can afford to pay for training and who can't. The fact is that it's illegal to have a sword uncovered on our streets, that's the way it is and if people don't like it don't come here. Simples.
Two quid is two pounds, it's value against the dollar doesn't fluctuate that much. Today £2 =$2.98.

Latest Discussions