Sword Styled Umbrella

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few years ago I was pulled over one night for running a stop sign that I didn't see. The officer asked the standard question:"Any weapons?" I told him I had an axe in the trunk. No reason to lie. I popped the trunk, and showed him the Cold Steel Bad Axe I had bought. He asked what I paid and I told him. He asked if I'd sell it to him, I asked if he was going to write the ticket.

He paid me $40. I followed him to an ATM.

The ticket cost me $225.

But, I did get a decent story out of it...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Folks... let's get real.

Unless you're doing something to draw their attention, most cops ain't gonna care about an umbrella handle. They'll notice the umbrella, especially if there's no rain or you're acting unusual... but if you're just acting like a normal person -- you'll probably be fine.

You might get a question or two in a situation like a traffic stop if all they see is the handle sticking out... But that's easy to handle: "Oh, that? It's an umbrella." And follow their directions about handling it at that point.

Most police officers have more than enough to occupy their time without making work for themselves by checking non suspicious people for weapons.

But what if I dress a Ninja or a Samurai as most Americans often do on vacation... or is that just me :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks... let's get real.

Unless you're doing something to draw their attention, most cops ain't gonna care about an umbrella handle. They'll notice the umbrella, especially if there's no rain or you're acting unusual... but if you're just acting like a normal person -- you'll probably be fine.

You might get a question or two in a situation like a traffic stop if all they see is the handle sticking out... But that's easy to handle: "Oh, that? It's an umbrella." And follow their directions about handling it at that point.

I agree with jks9199. It really would not constitute a major issue until asked about it and then just be careful and follow directions.
icon14.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what if I dress a Ninja or a Samurai as most Americans often do on vacation... or is that just me :D

Nah thats just you lol! American dress in loud colours, polyester and 'sneakers', they clutch their belongings fearfully and tut tut at topless women on the beaches of Europe, they travel as a tribe, terrified at being separated from the tour guide. they won't touch local food or drink preferring to eat at Mcdonalds and Burgerking ( despite the fact these are run by locals) they won't talk to the locals either unlike the British who will shout in English to the 'natives' sure that if they speak loud enough the natives will suddenly understand English. The English can be picked out by their football shirts, baggy shorts and beer bellies, they will also be carrying bottles of beer and most likely be drunk.
This is why I always pretend I'm Dutch when in Europe. I like the Dutch, I like Norway a lot too but don't speak Norwegian sadly, though we have many Norse names here as Vikings used to live here. We had many Norwegians in Aberdeen, Scotland when I was at school and uni, really nice people.

Anyway I digress, this policewoman was over the top but there's always someone like that wherever you work, the one that really annoys you because they don't seem to know where common sense finished and madness starts. they are the ones who post up notices in the toilets telling you not just to wash your hands but how to. Who complains if exactly one spoon of coffee isn't used, not one and a bit, exactly one spoonful because the instructions say so.They come and tidy your desk so the pens nibs are all facing the same one, yes that one. This constable at the anti terrorist briefing was told to just keep an eye on photographers but she has to go that bit further and stop them all, because that's what she does. Could be worse, she could be working with you, or even worse than that, training MA with you and woe betime you if you deviate from what the instructor tells you!!! Or she could be the instructor rofl.