Switching up my edc

Jinho

White Belt
Reaction score
I think this kind of thing is common in "equipment intensive" activities. Look at what people spend on golf clubs! Probably more than they spend on instruction from a pro. For a lot of people, not all, guns and related gear is only partially practical. A large part of it is really a hobby, although some won't admit it. So the equipment is part of the fun. But it relates to training because a segment of the hobbyists will take training because they find it fun or think it's cool.

I've been shooting for over 50 years, mostly because I liked it. I competed with the 1911 and the M1 Garand on a Navy team. As a civilian, I took a lot of tactical training, not because it was work related, or I felt I was in danger, but because I could and because I liked it. Now I am older and I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, don't have as much access as I used to and can't afford it like I used to. But I still look at new guns. I changed up my EDC recently from a snubby to a P365. I did take a couple of lessons with it from a shooting instructor, but that is probably all I will do, other than laser training at home.

Bottom line is training is often motivated by enjoyment or job requirements if you are in LE or security. Outside of that, IMHO a lot of training nowadays is not enjoyable for beginners.

Tigerwarrior said:
Jmf552, thank you for your response. I suspect we are not far off in agreement in this. That is why I said it will "probably get it done". I would also want a .45 ACP over a .22lr. In fact I would rather have a .223 over a .45 ACP, of course. 😊

But the point is, a lot of gun people know all about the "wiz bang delta attachment", combined with the "Laser/flashlight combo" and the "Zombie Death Round " 🔫 but you are right, because they don't know what a proper target engagement sequence is, and that's the problem.

Too much time researching "fear gear" purchase, not enough time developing the basics, basics that will 99 times out of 100 win fights. Too much time trying to figure out the right gun, or the right grip modification, or the right sight upgrade, or the right night vision scope, not enough time practicing how to grip and shoot. Definitely not enough time figuring out how to make reasonable decisions and stay calm under extreme, acute stress.

There is a place for consideration on bullet design, round capacity, and weapon choice. But those are relatively straight forward, simple decisions, not an endless quest for the holly grail of guns and gear that give you an advantage.
Yeah, gear is major incentive for many(hell, I'm guilty of that myself when it comes to rifles :D ). And yeah, gotta agree a lot of "beginner" training is not fun at all, especially if you're just starting...
"wiz bang delta attachment", combined with the "Laser/flashlight combo" and the "Zombie Death Round "

Chuckled a bit on Tiger's :D A lot of gimmick names right now in industry that's for sure.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Kalifornia, collapsible baton is illegal, or else that would be a good one. Walking cane is about the most effective here.

Fixed blade or ones that deploy with spring are not legal also, neither is cane sword.

And yes, they will make an example of law abiding citizen, they are only lenient to criminals with records.
Well, if you’re carrying something that is not allowed by law, you’re not a law-abiding citizen.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, if you’re carrying something that is not allowed by law, you’re not a law-abiding citizen.
I'm not a law breaker, but some laws are stupid. Up here as long as youre 21 and not a felon you can concealed carry a gun. I'm pro 2nd but where this gets stupid is if you get caught carrying certain types of knives or impact weapons you go to jail. I knew of a guy who did 3 weeks in county for brass knuckles. It's kind of stupid in my opinion that everyone's carrying guns, but if you carry a certain blade concealed it's a crime.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a law breaker, but some laws are stupid. Up here as long as youre 21 and not a felon you can concealed carry a gun. I'm pro 2nd but where this gets stupid is if you get caught carrying certain types of knives or impact weapons you go to jail. I knew of a guy who did 3 weeks in county for brass knuckles. It's kind of stupid in my opinion that everyone's carrying guns, but if you carry a certain blade concealed it's a crime.
Stupid laws are still laws, and if you break them, you're still committing a crime. Therefore, by definition, a law breaker. A criminal.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The stupidity of the law is irrelevant to whether or not alan's (or anyone's) a law-abiding citizen though, if they are carrying something that breaks the law.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not a contest, just useful info. Canemaster's is pricey, so it's nice when people post alternatives. That's one thing a forum like this is good for. :)

BTW I picked up one of these at a fair price back before the pandemic:

It's listed as 1 1/16 in straight-grained hickory. The biggest problem was that instead of the "3-5 day shipping time, I waited well over a month and then had to contact them and complain before it eventually arrived. It was solid and heavy, but the grain wasn't very straight and the finish needed attention. That was back about 5 years ago. Maybe they've got their act together now? I hope so.

BTW I'd advise against carrying am obviously "weaponized" cane like a lot of the canemaster's stuff (and other so-called self-defense canes). Gimmicky and vicious looking sharp pointed crooks, saw-toothed/serrated sides, etc. only call attention to you and don't really make for a better self defense tool.

That's what good MA training is for. ;)
I actually email to Canemaster, they charge $89 for the 1 1/8" octagonal crook cane. I ask if they are willing to choose one with straight grain. THEY ACTUALLY CAME BACK AND SAID THEY DO NOT CHOOSE FOR CUSTOMERS. The shipping is $30, that's almost $120 + tax. I almost reply and give them a finger.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's why everything I carry is legal. I cannot afford to carry anything illegal because I am not a thug. If I were a thug, then I don't worry about it as they won't charge me and let me go.

More importantly, I don't want to kill people. I am very good in shooting and I have very reliable guns(I do gun smithing and I made mine very reliable). I do NOT miss when I shoot. That would be so so much easier to carry a gun for self defense if I choose to.

For that reason, I don't do shooting. I bought a Glock 26 2yrs ago and I yet to go test it out. I bought it because of all the crimes and beating of older asians on the streets. I ended up practicing stick fight with a cane instead. It's been 2yrs, I still practice all the time.

Actually get caught carrying a gun is less of a crime than an illegal knife.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's why everything I carry is legal. I cannot afford to carry anything illegal because I am not a thug. If I were a thug, then I don't worry about it as they won't charge me and let me go.
This makes no sense. You believe that they discriminate against non-thugs, where they will arrest them and not thugs? What is your definition of a thug, and why do you think it's different?
Actually get caught carrying a gun is less of a crime than an illegal knife.
Where are you getting this info? You are in California, correct? If so, everything I am finding suggests that the typical punishment for both, assuming just possession and not use, is a 1k fine and up to a year in jail, while if circumstances allow it to be a wobbler offense/charge (for both), the punishment is up to 3 years and 10k fine, again for both gun and knife.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that seems stupid. Still the law, though.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This makes no sense. You believe that they discriminate against non-thugs, where they will arrest them and not thugs? What is your definition of a thug, and why do you think it's different?

Where are you getting this info? You are in California, correct? If so, everything I am finding suggests that the typical punishment for both, assuming just possession and not use, is a 1k fine and up to a year in jail, while if circumstances allow it to be a wobbler offense/charge (for both), the punishment is up to 3 years and 10k fine, again for both gun and knife.
Unless they change the law lately, caught carrying a gun is misdemeanor, an illegal knife is felony.

You watch news, violent criminals get released without or very little bail. Look at Mark McCloskey got into so much trouble holding a gun to protect their own home. Never point at anyone, never fired a shot. LAW IS NOT ON THE LAW ABIDING CITIZEN'S SIDE.

Even police don't arrest you in self defense, if you have money/property in your name, they can sue you for bodily harm. Criminals likely don't own anything, they are "Judgement proofed". They can get away where you cannot.

Thinking back, it's so stupid for people laugh about "blowing people's head off" and all that. You injure someone and you have money in your name, you are in TROUBLE.

If you are renting, driving a 20yr old car, having less than $1000 in the bank, then, you are a lot safer.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless they change the law lately, caught carrying a gun is misdemeanor, an illegal knife is felony.
You are free to look it up. Both have the potential to be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the context (wobbler offense) in California.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are free to look it up. Both have the potential to be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the context (wobbler offense) in California.
Not that I even care. But to solve this debate you would have to look at precedent and what people are actually getting pinged.

Look at the law as written and you are probably interpreting it wrong. And can get caught out.

This is why lawyers drive expensive cars.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not that I even care. But to solve this debate you would have to look at precedent and what people are actually getting pinged.

Look at the law as written and you are probably interpreting it wrong. And can get caught out.

If you have nothing to lose, like not house, old cars and little in the bank, you don't have to worry, nobody can touch you. BUT, if you have something to lose, BE CAREFUL. That's why lawyers drive expensive cars.

Just like criminals with long records, they can't do anything about them, they can get no cash bail and all, but if you are law abiding citizen, you are in big trouble. Look at NYC and SF.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have nothing to lose, like not house, old cars and little in the bank, you don't have to worry, nobody can touch you. BUT, if you have something to lose, BE CAREFUL. That's why lawyers drive expensive cars.

Just like criminals with long records, they can't do anything about them, they can get no cash bail and all, but if you are law abiding citizen, you are in big trouble. Look at NYC and SF.

I solved the problem by living somewhere nice.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I was looking at the law as written, and to double check was comparing to law websites who used precedent to explain.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Do you really believe that people who are poor have nothing to lose?

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Once to determine the moral aspect of breaking the law, it becomes a question of are you will to deal with the consequences if caught.

This is where breaking the law can be okay for the individual, but don't do it for the sake of being rebellious. You have to know where your values are.

I find many situations helping people overseas where the law gets broken intentionally for one reason or another.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Once to determine the moral aspect of breaking the law, it becomes a question of are you will to deal with the consequences if caught.

This is where breaking the law can be okay for the individual, but don't do it for the sake of being rebellious. You have to know where your values are.

I find many situations helping people overseas where the law gets broken intentionally for one reason or another.
I agree. Sometimes people have to make a moral decision that isn't legal. Say for instance someone owns a pistol and lives in a bad neighborhood and applied for their carry permit, they have been getting threats towards them and their family but they don't have a license to carry, the moral thing might be to break the law to defend their family. I've heard stories of people carrying illegally and stopping crimes with a legal weapon they didn't have a permit to carry.

Latest Discussions