EDC suggestions?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that one is going on the list as well.

CRKM16-01K.jpg

Definately a good knife!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do have a question though...why would you personallly prefer a Delica or Endura over the Persian? I look at the guard of the Persian and my perception is that I could get in a better stab.

Or...is such a design too limiting to the types of grips?
I'm sure the Persian is a great knife, I just prefer the other two (I carry Enduras but I have a Delica also) because of my prefered method of gripping the knife. I like the reverse-grip with the edge facing in, the Persian's handle design is not really conducive to that method. Even though the Endura and Delica don't have much in the way of a guard, I usually thumb-cap the handle so it's not really an issue.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, the CRKT is a nice knife if you are on a budget, not my preffered EDC. Don't get me wrong, I carry a CRKT M-21 at work because is inexpensive so if I lose or break, oh well. But for EDC I preffer my BM 630 (Benchmade Skirmish). Why? Well, titanium handle/framelock, huge 4.25" S30V blade, nice ergos, etc. CRKT M-16 and M-21 series are good knives but quality is somewhat inconsistent. I got lucky with mine. I've heard complaints of blades closing on a light tap from a spine whack test, very soft steel (I dulled mine a little when the blade tip hit an eggshell while cutting a bag open) blades not centered when closed, among others. Also, the M16 with Zytel handles come in AUS-6 a cheaper and softer steel, comparable to 440A (but with a bit of vanadium, I believe, for wear resistance) which is nice for display knives but not for hard-use ones. The "upper" class of M16 and M21s have AUS-8 steel blades, not bad, but not great. VG-10, S30V, 134CM, ATS34 or even 440C are good choices for a blade.

Shovel Hook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I you actually find out what's legal where you live (from the state statutes, not from word-of-mouth), you can stay within that envelope without having to play the "just to be safe" game.

True, but at the same time, an LEO could arrest you for something that is legal. Different officers in my area have told me they would arrest someone for having a Spyderco Police (like she was carrying)(this was in the late 90's), another said "any" folder was alright. Many seem to think anything with a blade the length or less of the user's thumb is acceptable. I have learned to never admit to it being carried for self defense in any case. Perhaps those were differences in city laws. But while you could be acquitted later, getting arrested for anything is really expensive, and the timing could cost you your job. The Leek could be an officer's idea of a switchblade and I do recall a kid in MI being prosecuted for some Kershaw Onion model assisted opener. The outcome I don't know, but I'm going to try to make my EDC something unquestionably within the law just to avoid any trouble. I'm thinking the Delica in either Zytel (for weight) or Steel (more durable, classy and tough looking), PE or PS would be nice, excellent quality for the price (40. on ebay).
Has anyone seen the gunvideo.com dvd, "Little Knives...Big Trouble"? It's all about the use of blades in the Delica size range. I'm sure I'll get it (and/or Advanced Folding Knife Techniques) eventually, their releases look very interesting but cost a lot for a dvd. I would also like to check out "Surviving Edged Weapons", have heard for years how good that one is. I love instructionals.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but at the same time, an LEO could arrest you for something that is legal. Different officers in my area have told me they would arrest someone for having a Spyderco Police (like she was carrying)(this was in the late 90's), another said "any" folder was alright. Many seem to think anything with a blade the length or less of the user's thumb is acceptable.
Sadly, many officers are not sure exactly what the weapons laws are in their jurisdictions. In other cases, they may be "bluffing" you. I've heard stories about officers who confiscated knives that were legal and got away with it because the person with the knife didn't really know the laws either. "Sir this knife is illegal but I won't arrest you this time, just give me the knife and don't carry one like this again" (does anyone believe that the knife ended up in a weapons locker instead of the officer's pocket?). I'm not saying that all officers who give people hassles about legal knives do so with less than honorable intentions, as I said, I've spoken to many who don't really know what is and isn't legal.

This is why I am very familiar with the laws in my area, to the point that I can give the chapter and paragraph number of the appropriate statute. I also carry a copy of the relevent laws in my vehicle. If an officer tried something like this, he/she would have an argument on their hands. I've actually had conversations with different LEO's who admit that they will try to bluff someone (on various issues) but that if the person demonstrates a knowledge of the law, they'll kinda back off.

Everyone has to make their own choice as to how they'll handle, this situation. If I lived in "occupied territory" (Cali, Mass, NY, etc.) I might take a slightly different approach. On the other hand, if you know what you're talking about, the officer probably isn't going to want to risk an unlawful-arrest lawsuit.

Missouri law says 4", I'm not going to limit myself to a 3" blade "just to be safe," I'll carry the 4" blade and be prepared to demonstrate my knowledge of the law if I ever get bothered. (of course, with a CCW I can carry any knife execept an auto or a bali)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, the CRKT is a nice knife if you are on a budget, not my preffered EDC. Don't get me wrong, I carry a CRKT M-21 at work because is inexpensive so if I lose or break, oh well. But for EDC I preffer my BM 630 (Benchmade Skirmish). Why? Well, titanium handle/framelock, huge 4.25" S30V blade, nice ergos, etc. CRKT M-16 and M-21 series are good knives but quality is somewhat inconsistent. I got lucky with mine. I've heard complaints of blades closing on a light tap from a spine whack test, very soft steel (I dulled mine a little when the blade tip hit an eggshell while cutting a bag open) blades not centered when closed, among others. Also, the M16 with Zytel handles come in AUS-6 a cheaper and softer steel, comparable to 440A (but with a bit of vanadium, I believe, for wear resistance) which is nice for display knives but not for hard-use ones. The "upper" class of M16 and M21s have AUS-8 steel blades, not bad, but not great. VG-10, S30V, 134CM, ATS34 or even 440C are good choices for a blade.
Now I prefer AUS-8 to 440c. Admitedly, it doesn't hold an edge as long, but I find it a lot easier to sharpen. The AUS-6 I don't really care for either.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, many officers are not sure exactly what the weapons laws are in their jurisdictions. In other cases, they may be "bluffing" you. I've heard stories about officers who confiscated knives that were legal and got away with it because the person with the knife didn't really know the laws either. "Sir this knife is illegal but I won't arrest you this time, just give me the knife and don't carry one like this again" (does anyone believe that the knife ended up in a weapons locker instead of the officer's pocket?). I'm not saying that all officers who give people hassles about legal knives do so with less than honorable intentions, as I said, I've spoken to many who don't really know what is and isn't legal.

This is why I am very familiar with the laws in my area, to the point that I can give the chapter and paragraph number of the appropriate statute. I also carry a copy of the relevent laws in my vehicle. If an officer tried something like this, he/she would have an argument on their hands. I've actually had conversations with different LEO's who admit that they will try to bluff someone (on various issues) but that if the person demonstrates a knowledge of the law, they'll kinda back off.

Everyone has to make their own choice as to how they'll handle, this situation. If I lived in "occupied territory" (Cali, Mass, NY, etc.) I might take a slightly different approach. On the other hand, if you know what you're talking about, the officer probably isn't going to want to risk an unlawful-arrest lawsuit.

Missouri law says 4", I'm not going to limit myself to a 3" blade "just to be safe," I'll carry the 4" blade and be prepared to demonstrate my knowledge of the law if I ever get bothered. (of course, with a CCW I can carry any knife execept an auto or a bali)
Great advice here. I have worked with, and now just train with a lot of the local LEO's. None of them knew the laws about this. They were actually surprised when I first told them and then showed them. Keep up on your state and municipal laws on this.

Jeff

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great advice here. I have worked with, and now just train with a lot of the local LEO's. None of them knew the laws about this. They were actually surprised when I first told them and then showed them. Keep up on your state and municipal laws on this.

Jeff

I read one suggestion on the web that was keeping a hardcopy of your state or municipal statutes with you, and if you run in to a carry issue...to calmly show a copy of the statute in question. Logically that makes sense to me, I'm not sure how advisable that is to actually do.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, the CRKT is a nice knife if you are on a budget, not my preffered EDC. Don't get me wrong, I carry a CRKT M-21 at work because is inexpensive so if I lose or break, oh well. But for EDC I preffer my BM 630 (Benchmade Skirmish). Why? Well, titanium handle/framelock, huge 4.25" S30V blade, nice ergos, etc. CRKT M-16 and M-21 series are good knives but quality is somewhat inconsistent. I got lucky with mine. I've heard complaints of blades closing on a light tap from a spine whack test, very soft steel (I dulled mine a little when the blade tip hit an eggshell while cutting a bag open) blades not centered when closed, among others. Also, the M16 with Zytel handles come in AUS-6 a cheaper and softer steel, comparable to 440A (but with a bit of vanadium, I believe, for wear resistance) which is nice for display knives but not for hard-use ones.

That sure is a sweet knife. May be a little much for me in terms of size and appearance, but it sure looks like a beauty to own.

At the moment at least I don't think I'll be looking at the mid-300's price point. I hope to apply for a License to Carry before too long and my attorney will need his pound of flesh for that. :) Dang Massachusetts.

The "upper" class of M16 and M21s have AUS-8 steel blades, not bad, but not great. VG-10, S30V, 134CM, ATS34 or even 440C are good choices for a blade.[/quote]

That is awesome info :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But for EDC I preffer my BM 630 (Benchmade Skirmish).

I have heard alot of good things about the Benchmade, just it was out of my price range.

CRKT M-16 and M-21 series are good knives but quality is somewhat inconsistent. I got lucky with mine. I've heard complaints of blades closing on a light tap from a spine whack test, very soft steel (I dulled mine a little when the blade tip hit an eggshell while cutting a bag open) blades not centered when closed, among others.

My experience with my M-16 has been good. I have tried to close it with the locking mechanism in place, it won't. I have cut with it quite a bit and only recently has it become a little dull. I have to sharpen it now. Also, I just checked and my blade is centered when closed.

Also, the M16 with Zytel handles come in AUS-6 a cheaper and softer steel, comparable to 440A (but with a bit of vanadium, I believe, for wear resistance) which is nice for display knives but not for hard-use ones.

I would NOT recommend the Zytel handled knives to anyone.

Latest Discussions