Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point is that even if my opponent is purposely trying to avoid my jab and being defensive, he will have a harder time with the elbow flare missing. The dude I was referring to had no proactive game himself.

im not sure how much real world difference it makes, he is all ready anticipate a punch quite possibly a jab, your stutter is at least half the problem, as its putting a second on your punch time, of course your not hitting him, my gran could avoid that

give him an elbow flare to react to and then hit him with the other hand

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im not sure how much real world difference it makes, he is all ready anticipate a punch quite possibly a jab, your stutter is at least half the problem, as its putting a second on your punch time, of course your not hitting him, my gran could avoid that

So you think I stop and then jab just because I did it in the youtube clip? That would be even worse than a physical telegraph. So no I do not do that in sparring.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That's what I did in one of the clips. This thread is strictly about the jab.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I did in one of the clips. This thread is strictly about the jab.
but a jab is mostly a set up punch, if you set him up by pretending to throw a jab, then thats at least as useful as throwing a jab

get some one vaguely athletic to hold a focus mit for you

they have to anticipate your moving and move the mit before you hit it with a jab

they shouldnt be able to do that as above

then practice, you will naturally adjust your movements to compensate, if you cant get to the point where your hitting more often than not, give up boxing at least as a competitive event

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
but a jab is mostly a set up punch, if you set him up by pretending to throw a jab, then thats at least as useful as throwing a jab

get some one vaguely athletic to hold a focus mit for you

they have to anticipate your moving and move the mit before you hit it with a jab

they shouldnt be able to do that as above

then practice, you will naturally adjust your movements to compensate, if you cant get to the point where your hitting more often than not, give up boxing at least as a competitive event

It's not in boxing though. It all depends how good it is. The jab can be your most frequent shot. The rules promote it since there is no kicking long or mid range.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not in boxing though. It all depends how good it is. The jab can be your most frequent shot. The rules promote it since there is no kicking long or mid range.
are you actually being coached in boxing ? coz this has all the hail marks of someone thinking they can learn on their own in their bed room,

which as you are completely unreceptive to anything anyone has to say, means that your going nowhere fast, sort of rat mark two

ask your coach if you have one, if not get one, there a real limit anyone can do over the internet particularly as you keep arguing the point

if you look at say Antony Joshua, he is not a very good boxer, but is world champion mostly on the fact he is to big and strong for most people and he just jabs them to death and then when they slow down he knocks them over

you can win a fight just jabbing, if the other guy is out jabbing you, stop jabbing your going to loose

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
are you actually being coached in boxing ? coz this has all the hail marks of someone thinking they can learn on their own in their bed room,

which as you are completely unreceptive to anything anyone has to say, means that your going nowhere fast, sort of rat mark two

ask your coach if you have one, if not get one, there a real limit anyone can do over the internet particularly as you keep arguing the point

if you look at say Antony Joshua, he is not a very good boxer, but is world champion mostly on the fact he is to big and strong for most people and he just jabs them to death and then when they slow down he knocks them over

you can win a fight just jabbing, if the other guy is out jabbing you, stop jabbing your going to loose
Apparently he beats up everyone in the gym

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Apparently he beats up everyone in the gym

The intermediates were no match, and yeah I just jabbed them or hooked. I was not allowed to spar the competitors because my bag work was so bad. I hope the Mod reads that, who thinks there is any correlation at all.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The intermediates were no match, and yeah I just jabbed them or hooked. I was not allowed to spar the competitors because my bag work was so bad. I hope the Mod reads that, who thinks there is any correlation at all.
so in short your beating up intermediaries, but cant beat up a hanging bag

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol so all these boxing trainers and kickboxing trainers and MMA trainers and pro fighters who hit bags....they’re all wrong but the guy who needs help throwing a right cross knows the secret....ah

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’d be careful of that arrogance. There’s always someone better than you and one day you’ll end up sparring someone better and your arrogance will cause you to get dropped. Much better people than you have found that out the hard way

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’d be careful of that arrogance. There’s always someone better than you and one day you’ll end up sparring someone better and your arrogance will cause you to get dropped. Much better people than you have found that out the hard way

It's hard to say. I've only really been outpointed by strong fighters, so I have a hard time placing myself exactly. If the coach would have allowed me to spar his competitors I could have gotten a better picture about my potential. So that bummed me out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard to say. I've only really been outpointed by strong fighters, so I have a hard time placing myself exactly. If the coach would have allowed me to spar his competitors I could have gotten a better picture about my potential. So that bummed me out.
Obviously doesn’t think you’re good enough to go against them

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They teach you distance according to the mod. Very cunning.
its the internet, people make all sorts of claims, i give people the benefit of the doubt, but if your to be believed you need to have some consistency in what your saying

so far we have that you beat up with out effort people at the gym, but they wont let you spar with people who are competitors, but despite that you had a competitive bout with a guy, who in your own view wasn't very good and he beat you up

i suspect somewhere in there is the truth, probably the last bit

but, if your intent was ever to get advice from people on your punching technique, you've managed to suck a lot of the good will from the forum

Latest Discussions