Sussex Sword Academy

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know them or anything about 'modern' weapons but it looks welcoming and the 'rule's of behaviour seem fair. I'd actually quite like to have a look at them, if the website is anything to go by and the blurb about their instructors I think it would be enjoyable. Far too far for me but I'd give it a go if I were nearer.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know them or anything about 'modern' weapons but it looks welcoming and the 'rule's of behaviour seem fair. I'd actually quite like to have a look at them, if the website is anything to go by and the blurb about their instructors I think it would be enjoyable. Far too far for me but I'd give it a go if I were nearer.

It does look good as say on the web site. Have always wondered just how heavy a broadsword or a longsword (which I think is Norman in origin, but maybe wrong there) is to swing. I imagine that they weigh more

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly have no knowledge of the school/academy butt from looking at the site listed they seem to be very well organized and have a wide choice for the beginner to stat learning. If anyone ever gets a chance to visit or stuty I would love to hear their impressions of the actual training

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly have no knowledge of the school/academy butt from looking at the site listed they seem to be very well organized and have a wide choice for the beginner to stat learning. If anyone ever gets a chance to visit or stuty I would love to hear their impressions of the actual training

Thinking about for next January, get the impression though that it could be expensive hobby.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about for next January, get the impression though that it could be expensive hobby.

I know what you mean. My husband has always wanted to do Kendo but even second hand the kit costs a lot so as our kids were young at the time he didn't do it. Now we are older and have the money he's not able to because of a back injury.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My husband has always wanted to do Kendo but even second hand the kit costs a lot so as our kids were young at the time he didn't do it. Now we are older and have the money he's not able to because of a back injury.

Bummer. A shame that something he wanted to do is still denied him.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sussex Sword Academy said:
Split payment purchase of equipment (within reason and at our discretion) is available through the School and can be an option if cash flow is a problem.

This pretty much declares that this will ultimately be an expensive endeavour, but hey ho, it would not every day that you would get to learn how to wield a sword. Always wondered what it would be like to wield a battle axe, or even those glove type knives that Ray Winstone had in King Arthur with Clive Owen, amongst others in a excellent cast. There I go again, OFT. Where is that facepalm button again lol.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The school looks pretty decent. My only caveat is they seem to have a bit of a hodgepodge of sources for the longsword stuff. Meyer and Vadi are a bit far apart. What the heck, Vadi's cool and not a lot of people study it except as an accessory to studying Fiore. Worth the price of admission just for that really.

Transk: The swords in question are all quite light. A typical longsword is 2.5 - 3.5 lbs, with longer versions reaching 4 lbs. A basket-hilted sword is about 2 lbs. Rapiers are also in the 2 lb range. Swords don't get into the 5-6 lb range until they become something like spadone or montante, which is about as tall as the wielder.

Here's a video on the subject:

-Mark

Latest Discussions