Supplements

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many train with some type of supplement and has it really helped your overall performence in Martial Art?
Terry

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use 100 % Whey Protein(and a low fat, high complex carb diet for energy) after my weight training successions to help rebuild my muscles.It has helped my training because I train six days a week (weights,plyometics,weighted aerobics,solo martial arts training and classroom Muay Thai) is a large percentage of my training so I dont have much time for recovery.It helped in my overall performance in Martial Arts,because the weight lifting/plyometrics helped a great deal with stamnia explosiveness and overall conditioning and mental preperation.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Unless Budweiser recently became a suppliment, no. :rolleyes:

A "supplement" isn't something solely related to performance enhancement...think of the literal definition of supplementation. I would say that your Bud does indeed supplement your diet...perhaps not in a positive manner, but it certainly supplements it.

Your diet of solid foods should be the focus.

Then...supplement it with supplements if needed/desired.

I use multi-vitamins, whey protein and fish oils (Omega3 fatty acids). Those are the regulars anyway.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How many train with some type of supplement and has it really helped your overall performence in Martial Art?
Terry

For a while I was using protein shakes and creatine. I saw some good results from it. Currently I'm not using any supplements.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take a good multi-vitamin, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Fatty Acids), a small aspirin (history of heart disease in my family), Calcium (I'm a heavy coffe drinker) and a B complex occasionally. The B definitely helps give me energy for a workout.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I must say that my diet is completely horrible. Please keep posting about this subject. I would be interested to hear why you guys use the supplements you are talking about.

Respects,
Frank

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I must say that my diet is completely horrible. Please keep posting about this subject. I would be interested to hear why you guys use the supplements you are talking about.

Respects,
Frank

First off, I recommend you do what I do, and that is to buy and force yourself to eat ONE APPLE a day. No joke. Apples contain fiber, vitamins, pectin (digestive aid, IIRC) and will increase your energy level without causing it to spike and drop as coffee and soda will.

Fish Oil is very cheap, and prevents cardiovascular disease (according to the experts), half an aspirin (with doctor's ok) can decrease heart attacks, calcium is required by the body and coffee decreases it's absorption by the body, so heavy coffee drinkers, especially, need a supplement, IIRC.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think JR and Henderson hit the nail on the head. IMO, diet is where it really begins. I'm not saying that supplements are a bad thing, as I've taken them myself. I'm saying that we'd see the best results if, in addition to the supplements, took the time to watch what we eat. Its amazing how easy the lbs. are to go on, but they're so damn hard to come off. Of course, depending on how active one is, will determine how much weight we gain. I have a sit down job, and I've noticed a few extra lbs. coming on, so I've been working harder to increase cardio, watch what I eat, etc.

A combination of good diet and a supplement would show the best results.

Mike

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I dunno, maybe I was tired to begin with, but, I used to take Creatine enrgy boosters before, and got sleepy, every time. Then I would take a Protein drink after. It did help with my recovery time.

Creatine is not really meant to boost normal energy. It helps during high-intensity/exertion exercise (when your body is in the creatine-phosphate cycle for energy production), such as when maxing out or lifting a weight at 90% of the max you can lift. Taking extra creatine helps put more creatine in your muscles so that you can squeeze out an extra repetition or two during heavy lifting.

For myself, I try to eat a balanced diet, then supplement with a good mutivitamin and a whey protein shake once per day. Many times I simply add whey protein to my oatmeal in the morning.

R. McLain

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I take a protein shake that includes a huge blend of vitamins and herbs, plus the partner vitamins. It contains alot of green tea and ginsing type herbs so I've really seen great results from it, I'll be using it indeffinitely.

7sm

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have used multi vitamins, fish oil, protein shakes,and vearious other supplements fom time to time. I am not deligent on my vitamins and things because I just forget to take them regular. I know the importance of taking care of myself, but I just don't remember. Which is kinda of crazy becasue as a kid I had to take 500 mgs of Ritalin 3 times a day from second grade through High school when i just decided to stop. Whole crazy story there going off a med cold turkey on your own.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM-anybody over 40 in martial arts SHOULD be taking this unless they know for sure it doesn't work for them!! It has no side effects but takes 3 months to fully get into your system to work properly. It builds cartilage (repaired two of my meniscal tears) aids synovial fluid and definitely makes all your joints feel better. After years of telling my doctor about it, I noticed that they (Mayo docs) are now recommending it. Get a good brand--I didn't like Walmarts generic brand--as it is not all equal. I use NOW brand now, Shaklee is also good but more expensive.

I take a Shaklee multivitamin without iron, calcium, Nutraferon-an immunity booster, and Juice Plus tabs and shakes--they are derivatives of fruits and veggies the best parts. These are great! They did a study of teens--offer free products if an adult is buying the same and it improves schoolwork etc. Helps with their immunity too. My teens took it for years as I could open the capsule and sprinkle the fruits and veggies on cereal or food. The fruits are pinkish contents and the veggies are green capsules. I like their shakes too but add soy protein powder for more substance and as lunch. Their shakes have stuff from the sea, nutrients we don't usually get.
TW

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I take Flintstone Vitamins every day. I doubt they do much, but they taste good.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Banana's work for us! To prevent crampings ...eat banana's...prefer...the ones that are yellow color. At least two a day...maybe taken with water or on a empty stomach. (peel skin first).

Taste better on Ice Creams or Cereals....Prefer RAW. ....Aloha

Latest Discussions