Sumo in America.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (Oct. 2003) issue of Grappling has an article on the International Sumo Federation, focusing on the California Sumo Federation.

They discuss the UCLA Sumo Open and how the ISF tries to make the sport available to all, regardless of size, weight, and gender.

I didn't realize Sumo had this many U.S. adherents!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw some televised competition of non-Japanese sumo. It wasn't pretty. For one, they had weight classes, which traditional sumo does not. Also, the wrestlers still wore mawashi, but with some sort of undergarment, which really looked rather idiotic. If you're going to emulate something with that much tradition, it needs to be done right.

They didn't do it right.

Cthulhu

P

pknox

Originally posted by arnisador
I didn't realize Sumo had this many U.S. adherents!

Actually, it is still a pretty small number, but they are starting to get exposure now, so they may seem a bit bigger. Between the California group and the one here in NJ, you have the lion's share of practitioners (I'm talking lower 48 -- Hawaii has a strong Sumo tradition, and I honestly don't know if there are any practitioners in Alaska). There are a few in Texas as well, and some individuals and very small groups in other states, but all in all the group is still much smaller than most arts. That is partly why they are striving for Olympic acceptance -- the powers at be believe that being in the Olympics would increase visibility for Sumo, and ultimately participation in it, much like it did for Judo.

J

J-kid

Hey its going to be the new Football here, because soon everyone should be able to do it. We are the fatest country in the world.

S

superdave

Actually, Sumo wrestlers are in pretty good shape. Don't let the fat fool you.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by superdave
Actually, Sumo wrestlers are in pretty good shape. Don't let the fat fool you.

How many here have used this same line about themselves? :D

Latest Discussions