Types of Japanese Martial Arts

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are the main japanese martial arts? what makes each one unique from the others? what are the similarities?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since most Japanese martial arts are from Okinawa martial arts, there are several types of Japanese Martial arts. Those influenced by Naha te, which would include Goju-ryu, Shuri Te which would be Shorin ryu, Shotokan, Isshin ryu and then you would have Jujutsu which was influenced by Chinese Chin-Na. But there could be 100's of different styles of Japanese Martial Arts.
Bob :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
Since most Japanese martial arts are from Okinawa martial arts

I don't think that I agree with this! Look at all the systems that came from jujutsu, and all the varied Japanese weapons arts (iaijutsu, kenjutsu, kyudo,...). I would say that the karate-based arts are a distinct minority, as are those with recent Chinese influence like Shorinji Kempo.

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by arnisador
I don't think that I agree with this! Look at all the systems that came from jujutsu, and all the varied Japanese weapons arts (iaijutsu, kenjutsu, kyudo,...). I would say that the karate-based arts are a distinct minority, as are those with recent Chinese influence like Shorinji Kempo.

I know that I don't agree with it either. Where did you get this information from? :cuss:

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
Since most Japanese martial arts are from Okinawa martial arts, there are several types of Japanese Martial arts. Those influenced by Naha te, which would include Goju-ryu, Shuri Te which would be Shorin ryu, Shotokan, Isshin ryu and then you would have Jujutsu which was influenced by Chinese Chin-Na. But there could be 100's of different styles of Japanese Martial Arts.
Bob :asian:

Bob,

If you are going to make such gross over generalizations, you better be able to back it up with proof.

Fuedal Japanese martial arts aren't ANYTHING like Okinawan/Ryukyu Budo. Jujutsu's main influence in those days was Sumo (Modern day Sumo is a little different, since a lot of techniques have been dropped). Also if you have ever had any experience at watching real koryu jujutsu, you'd find the striking dynamic different from Okinawan budo too. The unarmed systems contain mainly grappling & finishing people off with daggers (Yoroi kumiuchi & Kogusoku) and their weapons systems like sojutsu & naginatajutsu are nothing like their ryukyu counterparts.

How many times have you seen a 2.5 metre spear being practiced with in an Okinawan budo? Or come to think of it, when was the last time you saw an Okinawan karateka do an eye attack to effect an entry for a crossover choke hold?

S

Shinzu

the main ones i can think of are:

judo
jujutsu
shotokan
aikido

i am not real possitive since there are many kinds of japanese martial arts but they seem to blend together well.

T

TheRustyOne

I'm interested in the history of the Japanese Martial Arts...like, when and where (if possible) did they evolve? Who used them at first? that kind of stuff...

domo arigatou gosaimasu, minna-san!!

:asian:

K

Kempo Guy

What do you mean by "main martial arts"? I think you ought to re-phrase this question...

It's easy to give generalizations of budo such as:
Karatedo, Judo, Aikido, Kendo, Jujutsu, Kyudo, Naginatado, Jukendo, Jodo, Iaido etc.
Within these categories there are many styles and sub-styles.

And we haven't even scratched the surface of the older ryuha (systems)!

TheRustyone,
I'd recommend reading the books by Donn F. Draeger as a start... (his three book series on classical bujutsu, classical budo and modern budo in particular).

KG

Latest Discussions