Summit Springs to sell "raw water."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Summit Springs to sell "raw water."

By Leslie H. Dixon, Staff Writer Sun Journal.com EXCERPT:

Published: Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

HARRISON — Summit Spring Water Co. will soon launch its "Raw Water," bottled unfiltered spring water directly from its source, at the organic and natural food store Portland Whole Foods, President Bryan Pullen said Friday.
"The raw water will be exactly that, gravity fed into the bottle moments after leaving the ground without any filtration, pumping, treatment, etc. Nothing, nada, not so much as a paper towel," he said.
Pullen said Summit Spring Water is one of a select few bottled waters to carry the state of Maine Premium Grade designation, meeting the very stringent quality and testing guidelines developed by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
DHHS Division of Water Quality Director Roger Crouse said his department has reviewed the so-called "raw water" and it meets all the requirements for bottled water distribution.
"We look at water quality. If they meet the water standards, they (bottlers) can treat or not treat their water," he explained. "He chose not to treat. Most bottlers treat. They don't have to."
Bottlers such as Pullen must continue to test their water regularly and if at any time it's found to have contaminant in it, Crouse said the company would be required to treat the water until it was clean.

END EXCERPT
MARKETING GENIUS!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey man we take our water very seriously here in northern New England ;)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tyler Durden approves.
icon14.gif

Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard on a TV show recently that most bottled water is just bottled tap water, and if you check the label it states it as such.

If the "raw water" is proven uncontaminated, then good for them, it's better than tap water bottled in New York. If you're going to buy bottled tap water, why not just get your own water filter, (Brita, Pur, etc.) and save a little money by bottling your own.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
darn, drinking pure water again, I wonder how many people have ever drank pure unfiltered water

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
darn, drinking pure water again, I wonder how many people have ever drank pure unfiltered water

I have. Grew up in central Illinois in small towns like Deer Creek and San Jose. Artesian wells, the water comes straight up out of the ground under its own power, no filters.

Now I use a Pur water filter on my faucet. Takes the funny taste out of the water, and my coffee pot doesn't get all covered in calcium deposits. The only thing that I don't use filtered water for with regard to food preparation is cooking pasta, since it would be too expensive to use the filters for a gallon or so of water every time I want to have spaghetti.

I don't buy bottled water of any kind. Or to be more precise, I'll buy one to get the bottle and reuse it afterwards with filtered water from my tap.

One of my senseis is an electrician who recently did a gig in Missouri, where a bottled water plant was being expanded. He came back shaking his head and told us that every brand of bottled water he had ever seen came out of the same tap there, which was just city water run through reverse-osmosis filtration and then bottled. Brand X, Y, and Z, sold at a variety of price points, all came from the exact same spigot. Even premium versions of the SAME brand. Brand X good, Brand X better, and Brand X best - all the exact same. He was shocked. I'm not.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can spend hours on here debating the improtance of clean water.
Yes there are a few companies that sell bottled tap water and yes there are others that merely put it through more stringent filtration.
Either way using a home filter is also a good idea if you don't want to buy bottled water.

I will just say this there is a HUGE profit being made from poisoning tap water right now.
Just as there is a HUGE propaganda campaign out there to discredit bottled water.
Follow the money I always say.
And for all of you that have heard that plastic bottles from water are filling up land fills, wouldn't the same be true for soft drink bottles?

Why not go after them after all soft drink sales FAR outweight those of bottled water.

Either way clean water is one of the most important substances for life.

Do your homework and the rest will all fall into place.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I heard on a TV show recently that most bottled water is just bottled tap water, and if you check the label it states it as such.

If the "raw water" is proven uncontaminated, then good for them, it's better than tap water bottled in New York. If you're going to buy bottled tap water, why not just get your own water filter, (Brita, Pur, etc.) and save a little money by bottling your own.

Actually, New York tap water is some of the finest there is-depending upon the pipes in a particular building, of course, but the water itself is consistently rated high for taste, mineral content and purity.

Seriously.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, New York tap water is some of the finest there is-depending upon the pipes in a particular building, of course, but the water itself is consistently rated high for taste, mineral content and purity.

Seriously.

Huh. Did not know that. Heard it on "The Doctors" TV show and they made it sound like a really bad thing. I actually like the tap water we have here. Didn't like the tap water we had down south. Interesting. Thanks for the info. :asian:

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score

Seriously.

Really?
Is that why an independent study of New York city's water found traces of everything from prescription medication to hormones to other toxic componds in the drinking water???

Remember I said traces but still...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really?
Is that why an independent study of New York city's water found traces of everything from prescription medication to hormones to other toxic componds in the drinking water???

Remember I said traces but still...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/10/health/main3920454.shtml

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose.

In the course of a five-month inquiry, the AP discovered that drugs have been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas - from Southern California to Northern New Jersey, from Detroit to Louisville, Ky.

Dr. David Carpenter, director of the Institute for Health and the Environment at the State University of New York at Albany, tells CBS' The Early Show that it is important to remember, "you have to drink water. And bottled water isn't any better than tap water."
Rural consumers who draw water from their own wells aren't in the clear either, experts say.

Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals, according to the industry's main trade group. The same goes for the makers of home filtration systems.
Adds Dr. David Carpenter: "We know we are being exposed to other people's drugs through our drinking water, and that can't be good."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have flouride added to your mains water by the water companies/local authorites?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have flouride added to your mains water by the water companies/local authorites?

Usually. That is a decision made by the individual town.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, to seppuku. Please be a hoax...

No hoax. I usually have their "regular" spring water at the house. Haven't seen the raw water near me, yet.

Attachments

• $Summit Springs crop.jpg
    $Summit Springs crop.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 126

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
recent studies - which have gone virtually unnoticed by the general public - have found alarming effects on human cells and wildlife

This is the quote that worries me.

Also the part that states that bottled water is no different than tap, seems to be refering to drug residues and not generally.
I know without a doubt that bottled water is WAY better than the tap water form the majority of areas in North America.
That isn't to say that bottled water is perfect, it isn't. But it is a huge step ahead of most tap water.
(Of course I'm speaking of some of the bottled water companies not all)

There has been a link established between chlorine and fluoride (among other substances) in drinking water and degenerative and auto-immune disorders.

Again, yes fluoride is also present in bottled water, although at MUCH lower levels.

Ultimately, having 2 filters, charcoal filtration as well as a fluoride filter, is the optimal answer.

Latest Discussions