Is the less people in class during summer

• Yes, Ghost town

• Nope same

• More

Results are only viewable after voting.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok most people I talk to say that summer is the worst season for people not to show up for karate. I also have seen this when the classes I was in had 14 people in it now it only has 5 if where lucky.

So is this a problem at your school? If so what do you do to get the back for the summer not just having them train in winter?

thanks

J

Jill666

In my Kenpo class there are the same number of black belts every week, plus a couple of guys from Rhode Island who drive up.

But it is a ghost town in the kyu classes- the ones who do show up are getting a semi-private class! I always used to show up in the summer for that reason- my partner & I used to be the only ones on several occasions.

In Taijutsu class though, more are coming faithfully because we train outside during the summer and there are woods behind my teacher's house. It gets us out of the garage and into some great Ninpo applications.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems lighter, but I've always found that less people = more intense training ops. I just prefer smaller classes, personally.

:asian:

P

progressivetactics

Historically, we would pick up new students as soon as school let out, and the 'summer breakers' would be virtually un-missed. That was until last year. Last year and this year, we have dropped about 25% for Gup ranks. Don't know what it is....we air condition the club! Do we need to train in a swimming pool?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My class size remains the same give or take a couple.
I tend to get more visitors from other schools droping in during the summer.
Being able to stand outside and paint the sign in good weather attracts people who dont know where the school is. Darn thing gets painted a few times wach summer.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At my school, the kids classes drop dramatically. That's great for my daughter because she gets more attention. On the other hand, the adult classes just keep getting bigger. I've heard talk of splitting the class because there's no room to do forms and we run out of heavy bags.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have a small class, and attendance stays the same... And we workout more often in the summer (attendance at extra classes is about half of the regular class) - adding extra days where we can workout outside...

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
we need to get some way for people to still train hard in the summer I heard that one school gives ice cream after there classes sounds good just pricy.

P

progressivetactics

But only for the bruises!!!!!!

We have a decent track out side our door to run which is about 1/4 mile, plus a huge front lawn with plenty of road exposure....So we get out in the grass and work out a bit during the warmer weather, but again......gain a few, lose a few.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school is dead right now. In the summer, when all the regular students go on vacation, there's almost no one around. Eventhough the ones that went off to college come back for the summer, it's still quiet. But I agree with Kaith. I perfer smaller classes.

P

progressivetactics

well......3 new students started on Monday..and 1 new one last week......so maybe the summer trend is coming to an end.....

Lets hope this train keeps rolling. Only another 100 or so, I would be happy!

T

tonbo

Our attendance always drops a bit during the summer. On the other hand, there are two local "festivals" (one for the 4th of July and one for a local fair) that we set up booths for. Those usually bring a pretty decent influx of students.

Regular attendance is generally down, but we can get a bunch of new students, if we play our cards right.

Peace--

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We had 20 people show up for my class tonight that is huge since most of the time we only have between 6-10. But most of those where the people who train on and off at times.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
See I like small classes when where doing moves and forms. But the classes when we spar I wish they where bigger cause When you spar in a smaller class you don't get a change to spar alot of people and learn from other fighters.

C

c2kenpo

FOr us it is hard to tell. We see some nightsjust a busy as others and then I"ll look up from my counter and see 5 kids in a class. It really does depend on vacations, weather, summer community activities, (of course the beach is 20 min away from us.) our adult classes seem unnafected tho.

Summer has always been a downtime for some people but that doesn't mean that they won't come back just give "We miss you calls" to them and remind them that you are there waiting to train and teach them.

Journey well
David Gunzburg

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually at the beginning of summer we get a large amount of people showing up (large for us anyway) but either most or all of them don't end up sticking with us anyway. Our regular members are still here most of the time so it's the same size class as usual but every now and then it'll be a small class with several people out on vacation. I really enjoy class with our regulars (anywhere from 4 to 11 people) but sometimes it is nice having a smaller class so then it's more like a private lesson. On the other hand, those nights when I'm feeling tired, it's nice having more people so there are more to rotate with and it's more likely to have a break to rest a bit by being in a group of 3. ;)

Robyn:asian:

P

progressivetactics

well. 2 more stopped up tonight... maybe it will be a good summer.

S

Shinzu

during the summer school is out and the classes are packed. even the morning classes are alive with more students.