Warrior Spirit

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What does warrior spirit mean to you? How many of you cultivate warrior spirit with your training or your lifestyle. How many MAs think of themselves as warriors. Is any fighter a warrior? Or is it only someone who fights for real professionally, like a soldier etc.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me the "warrior spirit" can be summed up in these words:
Grit: A kind of unswerving determination despite pains or obstacles.
Honor: doing what's 'right'....regardless of who's watching.
Maturity....
nuff said.
Your Brother
John

P

progressivetactics

brother john.
Nicely put.

I prefer not to fight, but if forced......it will be with warrior spirit!

That same warrior spirit could be put into personal life, for your marriage, cleaning garage, not killing your boss at work...etc. But in terms of the martial arts........
Focus and determination to complete the task at hand.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Brother John said it verry nicely.
I don't know if I am able to instill it on my students or not but I sure try. I'm not sure if it can be taught or if it is something inside each of us that can be brought to the surface by special circumstances. Hard trainning my help instill part of it

"Never to use my knowledge to abuse others excpt in the defence of myslef, my loved ones, and the weak"
I try to live by those words as much as any other words.

P

progressivetactics

to instill it in all our students, but you know, a few just ain't going to get it.....But we still try...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Brother John said it verry nicely.
thanks for the compliment chaser!

I don't know if I am able to instill it on my students or not but I sure try. I'm not sure if it can be taught or if it is something inside each of us that can be brought to the surface by special circumstances. Hard trainning my help instill part of it

I don't know how much we can instill it, and yes I also think that hard training goes a long way toward imparting this frame of mind into our students. Also another big means of passing it on is EXAMPLE!!!! Show our students our grit, determination and maturity in action. This has the greatest impact I think. Good hard training will cause a person to reach deep down inside and pull up the strength to go on when all else is screaming for us to stop. That's Grit... but there's more than just grit in true warrior spirit.

Your Brother
John

P

progressivetactics

SO you are saying lead by example? I alwasy thought the 2 best ways to learn a lesson were by Pain and embarrasement.
YOu say by a good example.......I guess I will have to try that next month.

ha

M

Mon Mon

to me the warrior spirit is something that cannot be easily expressed

All i can say is being a warrior is a way of thinking and living from a day to day basis and one only stops being a warrior when they die.

OP
redfang

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good thoughts thus far. I believe warrior spirit is conveyed in one's attitude and is part of everything one does. One does not have to fight to have it. But one must be ready and eager even to take on any challenge that presents itself. There is a certain sense of practicality as well as a sense of honor that accompanies the warrior spirit.
:samurai:

T

tonbo

I love that description, Brother John!!

Yeah, that's pretty much it. To me, the "warrior spirit" means essentially never giving up, despite the odds. If it is worth fighting for, it is worth fighting to the end for. I would also add in resolve--once you have set yourself on task to do something, get it done. Don't mess around.

There is a *wonderful* quote that I think sums it all up. It is by an Indian Elder named Oriah Mountain Dreamer, and it is called "The Invitation". I will post it in the "Locker Room" section, and I invite everyone to take a look at it. I think it pretty well states what "warrior spirit" is.

Good topic for discussion!!

Peace--

M

Mon Mon

I think it is important to mention that Budo or the way of the warrior has nothing to do with competition or sports.

This is not intended to be an insult to anyone just in case anyone takes offence.

Just saying Competition is not the way of Budo.

T

tonbo

I think it is important to mention that Budo or the way of the warrior has nothing to do with competition or sports.

Well, in a way, it does.

Budo is "the martial way".....and part of the "way" has always been the betterment of self (hence the "do" or "way"). That competition doesn't always have to be *explicit*, that's for sure, but people tend to measure themselves against others, despite repeated requests not to, training to do just the opposite, etc.

If you want to get *really* technical, I would agree that Budo isn't much connected to competition or sport, but that Bujitsu IS. The "jitsu" aspect is more of the "combat" or competitive aspect of arts, and stresses actual application of the arts against opponents in more real situations than, say, in kata (For example: Kenjitsu vs. Kendo).

It all boils down to semantics, in most cases, I think. I would agree that martial arts shouldn't be specifically geared toward the competitive or sport side of things, but I think that you have to expect a certain amount of competition to be inherent in them.

I don't think I could ever convince myself that "sport karate" is really a martial art, any more than I could convince myself that Tae Bo is a martial art. Sport karate. *shudder* :eek:

Ah, well. Just my 2 cents' worth!!

Peace--

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What does 'Warrior Spirit' mean to me?

I believe that the warrior spirit is something that every human being is born with. It is a desire to become the best that one can be and the desire to realize one's fullest potential.

Maturity, humility, determination, self control, integrity and excellence are not the warrior spirit. They are byproducts of the warrior spirit.

Someone has the burning desire to realize their fullest potential and when they begin on that journey they realize how much they need to change and that teaches them maturity and humility. They realize that the journey is going to last their entire lifetime and they may not ever reap the rewards and that teaches them determination and self control. The see others give up their warrior spirit and just settle into a rut and something in them refuses to do the same and that teaches them integrity and excellence.

There are few people that actually cultivate their warrior spirit in this day and age. The warrior is always driving for that potential where those that have given up on the quest sit in front of their TVs or at the Movies or in a bar numbing their mind so that the warrior spirit doesn't rise up in them and force them to face the reality that they have given up. You cultivate your warrior spirit by never giving up. You subdue the urge to rest and relax and just push on harder than ever.

The warrior spirit isn't limited to those of us who seek to have integrity or honor. Sometimes the warrior spirit mixed with a weak mind warps a persons perspective. A man that stalks a woman is showing the character traits of a warrior spirit. Determination above all else. They have an intense sense of honor and yet they are walking in an evil direction.

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Some people are born with warrior spirit and others acquire it when some outside event causes them to rise to the occasion. They may keep it from then on or let it fade away. Others never had it, and never will, no matter how much you try to instill it in them. Many with true warrior spirit feel a connection to warriors of the past, just as General George Patten did. For some reason or other, it's in your blood. Looking at others who have it I would say that would be someone who you know will cover your back no matter what and someone you would share a foxhole with. Attitude has a lot to do with it but you can't always tell, but those with true warrior spirit as usually leaders.

SAL

DMartialArtist

White Belt
Reaction score
to mean warriror spirit means your determination and thrive or motivation to compete and fight depending on the cause or reaosns like a bad one or good one

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
fall seven to rise eight.

meaning, fail all you want (expect to fail, because you're pushing your limits so often), just so long as you get back up and try again. every single time.

see also rocky balboa.
see also tubthumping.
see also sam gamgee.

cswinsf23

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that all of the responses are correct, but one aspect I did not see was the warriors spirit of RESPECT - respect for life, death and everything in between.

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
fall seven to rise eight.

meaning, fail all you want (expect to fail, because you're pushing your limits so often), just so long as you get back up and try again. every single time.

see also rocky balboa.
see also tubthumping.
see also sam gamgee.

I agree entirely !! THAT´S the warriors spirit in the MA and in life.