Sum up Wing Chun

theway

White Belt
Reaction score
Some say it is unlike any other martial art. It's not for those who want to kick *** on the street, do competitions or pass themselves off as the next bruce lee

Would it be correct to say that to understand wing chun you must understand the essence and philosphy of it. And approach it as an ART more than something to learn in order to be a bad ***?

Another would say it is fighting but to stop fighting. Not to invade others or hurt others but to stop fighting. Would this be correct?

Wasn't it bruce lee who said " The art of fighting without fighting" do you think that sum it up?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some say it is unlike any other martial art. It's not for those who want to kick *** on the street, do competitions or pass themselves off as the next bruce lee

Would it be correct to say that to understand wing chun you must understand the essence and philosphy of it. And approach it as an ART more than something to learn in order to be a bad ***?

Another would say it is fighting but to stop fighting. Not to invade others or hurt others but to stop fighting. Would this be correct?

Wasn't it bruce lee who said " The art of fighting without fighting" do you think that sum it up?

I'd sum it up as this: a very expensive waste of time ;)

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

First, your goal should be to avoid fighting. If you must it is exactly for ending a fight as quickly as possible. You try to understand the philosophy of all martial arts that you practice. It will only make you better and allow you to break out of the box.

Wing chun is designed to be devastatingly efficient. So in ending the fight as quickly as possible you can say it is to stop fighting as quickly as possible. All martial arts are meant to hurt their opponent when in a "real" fight.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy. Wing Chun is the art of marching in a straight line chain punching. Im kidding, you lot.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Loi Lau, Hoi Sung; Lat Sao Jik Chung.

This Kuen Kuit is very important, because it accurately describes how Wing Chun is designed to work. The success or failure of application depends on how well you apply the basic principles of the system. Wing Chun is simple and straight forward; I think you just lose sight of what you should be trying to accomplish if you try to make it too complicated, or seek some great revelation. Stick to the basics, and understand the system as it was intended to be; not just as you want it to be.

I can't agree with this at all. If you ever intend to use your art, your intent must be to invade your opponent's space and hurt him as efficiently as possible. This is not about trying to be a "badass" - it's about being humble, earnest, and down to earth. When people think that they can use their martial arts to magically control an attacker without being violent is when they are deluding themselves, and under the notion that they have some kind of "badass skill." That's also when they get hurt.

Martial Arts are not about magic, or even some wonderful philosophy - though there are important lessons you can learn about life through martial arts. But martial arts are about combat. Not even self defense, but combat. Just because an art is designed for combat, does not make it evil. Even combat itself is not inherently evil. It can be used for self preservation and as a means of learning and self improvement as easily as it can be used for less moral purposes. That all depends on the individual. But you cannot change the nature of combat, or of a combative art, in order to satisfy some less physically violent image that you want to convey.

I believe that pragmatism and humility are the two greatest virtues that anyone studying martial arts should have.

Now, all of that said, if you meant that we should be striving not to fight as in "not to struggle", but rather to learn to borrow our opponent's force, and rely on structure and technique to overcome him, then I would agree with your point. But, while those are central concepts to Wing Chun, as they are with any other art, I don't think that message alone accurately defines how Wing Chun works.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
"Martial" art. So yes, combat or at least fighting.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun is based on geometry and mathematics.
It is a method of learning to both generate and overcome force with the least amount of effort possible , this is achieved by maximising the use of body mass.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wing Chun is based on geometry and mathematics.
It is a method of learning to both generate and overcome force with the least amount of effort possible , this is achieved by maximising the use of body mass.

Concur. Wing Chun allows balance that I have found out recently in a serious fashion. Personaly a big right hand does it, however, the chain punching as a resposte, is just awesome.

Latest Discussions