Suggestions for Summer MA Reading

OP
hapki68

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, Old Fat :)

I picked up Hard Rain... it was the only one Border's had in stock. Hopefully, it's a good one from the series.

Patrick

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have read Gates of Fire. It is a great great read. I liked the Conan books as a kid. If you get the chance pick up Ronin, it is a graphic novel by Frank Miller.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite reads of all time was Gorky Park. The movie was horrible (as is usually the case) but the book was great. As good as The Godfather (the first movie) was, the book was still better.

For martial arts stuff, I suggest anything by Loren W. Christensen. I have read several of his books and they are real "down to earth" writing from a truly talented man (his writing AND his MA expertise).

-Garry

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite reads of all time was Gorky Park. The movie was horrible (as is usually the case) but the book was great. As good as The Godfather (the first movie) was, the book was still better.

For martial arts stuff, I suggest anything by Loren W. Christensen. I have read several of his books and they are real "down to earth" writing from a truly talented man (his writing AND his MA expertise).

-Garry

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hapki: Try "Angry White Pajamas" I think you'll enjoy it since you've studied some aikido. It is written by a journalist who trained with the Tokyo Riot Police. It's a quick fun read!

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the hard rain series sounds intriguing. Let me know what you think of it cuz I might pick up a copy for myself.

OP
hapki68

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not too far into it (page 80 out of 380), but I'm already pretty impressed with the writing. It's very detailed and creative... like how he stalks and kills his first yakuza (Japanese mafia.) I find myself totally engrossed when I read it on the metro... which ain't easy.

One personal caveat is that I get a little tired of the "aloof, super-cool, outside-the-bounds-of-society, girl-getter" character, cause it seems formulaic. How many times can you read about James Bond by other names? Can't the guy ever be unique... like a non-drinker (prefers something kooky like tomato juice) or beds the occasional stud for whatever reason? I think I've been on the planet too long and am getting bored. I guess most guys see James Bond as the ultimate in cool and never get tired of him. I sort of agree.. but I need some washboard abs in the picture along with the high heels.

In any case, I'm liking the book. There's a great scene in which he interviews a dancer in a strip club. I considered writing down the passage to give you an example... but it's a little long. He does a great job of capturing the intrigue, danger and sensuality.

Ok.. now I feel like I'm rambling.

Patrick

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hapki68 said:
I'm not too far into it (page 80 out of 380), but I'm already pretty impressed with the writing. It's very detailed and creative... like how he stalks and kills his first yakuza (Japanese mafia.) I find myself totally engrossed when I read it on the metro... which ain't easy.

One personal caveat is that I get a little tired of the "aloof, super-cool, outside-the-bounds-of-society, girl-getter" character, cause it seems formulaic. How many times can you read about James Bond by other names? Can't the guy ever be unique... like a non-drinker (prefers something kooky like tomato juice) or beds the occasional stud for whatever reason? I think I've been on the planet too long and am getting bored. I guess most guys see James Bond as the ultimate in cool and never get tired of him. I sort of agree.. but I need some washboard abs in the picture along with the high heels.

In any case, I'm liking the book. There's a great scene in which he interviews a dancer in a strip club. I considered writing down the passage to give you an example... but it's a little long. He does a great job of capturing the intrigue, danger and sensuality.

Ok.. now I feel like I'm rambling.

Patrick

The Author, Barry Eisler is a Kodokan Judo Black Belt who lived in Tokyo for several years while working for the US Gov't. I met him at Ralph Gracie's Jiu Jitsu academy in Mt. View, CA. He's a really smart, intersting, and cool guy.

OP
hapki68

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow... he must be fascinating to talk to. He seems to know a lot about a lot of interesting things... like killing people in ways you'd never figure out. How do guys like him come up with this stuff?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hapki68 said:
Wow... he must be fascinating to talk to. He seems to know a lot about a lot of interesting things... like killing people in ways you'd never figure out. How do guys like him come up with this stuff?

Well, I am acquainted with him, but don't know him that well and haven't seen him in nearly 2 years... I think you can e-mail him if you go to his website.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all just finished the book Deshi by John Donohue. It was a good book. Anyone willing to swap their copy of Sensei by the same author for this one? Let me know.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hapki68 said:

One of the things that Eisler does is speak with other "professionals" about how things are done. Look at the acknowledgements in the back of Hard Rain, amongst others he thanks Marc McYoung and Peyton Quinn. In Hard Rain(I beleive) he acknowledges assistance from British combatives expert Dennis Martin, a former army ranger/undercover officer and a former SEAL.

If it seems like he knows what he is writing about, it is both because he has talent and expereince, and he is willing to seek out experts in areas he is not as familiar with.

I don't know where his Scotch expertise comes from, but it seems impresive!

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'm gonna pick up Iceman: Kickboxing's Legend Jean Yves Theriault by Perry Kelly. I figure since its about my namesake & I'm a big fame, it'd be worth lookin' at.
Picked up, read and reccomended it to a lot of people.

So, your name is Jean-Yves?:)

Latest Discussions