psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My takedown is optional. Here are the steps
1- Right tiger claw punch to the chin
2- Step to 3 o'clock
3- upward chop to the groin
4- takedown
I'm think like single leg takedown from the rear or arm drag.
What would you guys suggest?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2- Step to 3 o'clock
4- takedown
Without seeing the position of the opponent, I can't really say what would even be available, much less what would be preferable.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They are standing in front of you face to face. After you deliver the groin shot you are standing to their side. They are faces forward and you are facing their side.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are standing in front of you face to face. After you deliver the groin shot you are standing to their side. They are faces forward and you are facing their side.
That's a very limited description. For takedowns, I'd want to see where arms and legs are, know where their weight is (more on one leg than another, etc.), feel which way they are moving, and feel the tension/resistance they are giving.

My point is that there's no easy way to answer this. It's like asking, "How would you hit someone standing in front of you?" You'd have to know what type of guard they're making with their hands, the angle they are standing at, what openings are showing, how far away they are, etc. It's a weakness in dealing with questions like that in a forum.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a former boxer if someone would ask me how would I hit somebody I would respond by saying I would throw a feeler jab to see how they would react. That's my 1st punch. I look at it as simple as that. If they want more than I would say either a hook or an uppercut. Distance doesn't matter cause they asked me about how would I hit somebody so they must be in punching distance. I don't know how else to explain it. They are just standing there with there feet shoulder width apart, arms by their side looking starlight a head. They are balance. I know how read something can be taking out of context. I'm not trying to be disrespectful if it's taking that way I'm just trying to figure out how to beat explain the scenario.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a former boxer if someone would ask me how would I hit somebody I would respond by saying I would throw a feeler jab to see how they would react. That's my 1st punch. I look at it as simple as that. If they want more than I would say either a hook or an uppercut. Distance doesn't matter cause they asked me about how would I hit somebody so they must be in punching distance. I don't know how else to explain it. They are just standing there with there feet shoulder width apart, arms by their side looking starlight a head. They are balance. I know how read something can be taking out of context. I'm not trying to be disrespectful if it's taking that way I'm just trying to figure out how to beat explain the scenario.
There's no "feeler takedown", though. You're talking about how you'd get the information I'm talking about. I can't say, "I'll go in with a kote gaeshi to see what he does." Takedowns need more commitment than that. I could fake one to see his reaction (like the jab), but that's not what you asked.

And "jab" is not an answer to every punch question. If the guy is 2 steps away, jab isn't available yet. If there's a big opening, you might (depending upon the situation) not want to waste it on a jab.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know the a jab is not an every punch question. I'm talking about me. Somebody else may like to throw hooks 1st. I like to see how my opponent is going to react. ' In a boxing match majority of the time my 1st punch is going to be a jab. If they are 2 steps away I'm not going to throw anything cause they are too far away to land anything. I would get closer 1st, buts a punch question not a distance then punch question. Now to just answer the question how would hit somebody standing in front of of me I'm going to hook or throw an uppercut. It's that simple to me

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what I know of tiger claw if you actually land a tiger claw to a person's chine then the rest of your stuff probably won't be available. If you tiger claw someone in the chin then their head is going to violently snap backwards... They may even stumble backwards which will take away your option to step to 3 oclock.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Double leg, single leg, tricep-thigh grip, arm throw, hip toss, headlock hip toss, back take; anything is possible. I would prefer an ankle tap or knee tap. Whatever - you're talking about one combo here.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's "leg spring". The under hook, or over hook shoulder control is better. You take your opponent down by:

- spring his leg backward,
- press his shoulder downward.
Thanks, he called it an arm drag. I tried looking up arm drag, but I could find anything like he did that's why I posted the video. It being called leg spring would explain why I could find it.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a single hook with my right arm to the back of their legs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
high crotch because if everything else has worked out then you should basically be there any way.

or the flying omapalada.Because if you actually ever pull that off you could brag about it for the rest of your life.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know it is thinking outside the box, but do you think that osoto-gari from judo might work?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't usually do take downs. I hit em, they fall down all by themselves.
I tend to differentiate between "throw" and "takedown". A "takedown" is where I take them down with me (lots of Judo-derived stuff does this well). A "throw" is where I send them down there by themselves. A good punch also works well for accomplishing the same as the latter.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it is thinking outside the box, but do you think that osoto-gari from judo might work?

Frank, when I read the O-P that's exactly what I was thinking... and it is literally right "inside" that box.... I mean, I'm facing them, and I've managed to get my hands on them, even if I wasn't so mean as to have both tiger clawed their chin and chopped their groin... They are facing That way and I'm facing Them. Down they go.

Of course, and Drop will like this one I'm sure, if you were considering a right hook with an arm tot he back of their legs (why, I'm curious?)... you "could" just step on the back of their closer knee, and down they go again, this time in a very... *cough-cough* "choke-able" position.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
2- Step to 3 o'clock
4- takedown
Here's how I do a takedown. Punch them in the face they go down

Latest Discussions