Suck it up or bow out?

karatemom3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I over did it in class last Monday and am still suffering. We did boxing drills for the whole class using muscles I don't normally use and over using the ones I do use. I haven't been able to train since then. My hips and shoulders still ache and my thigh muscles burn. So how many of you over train and suffer rather than swallow your pride and ask to leave class? And any suggestions on how to speed up muscle recovery?

Myers

White Belt
Reaction score
You should never be asked to train beyond your limits, BUT with that said, you may not know your limits. Training should be progressive, pushing it a little bit more each week will allow you to get further in your toughness and endurance but not hurt you as bad as you're hurting now. Lower ranked/older students need to train within their limits before they can build up stamina and push it further, your teacher or instructor should not let you hurt yourself. If you're covering up the pain, well, then you're doing it to yourself, stop if you actually hurt.

Many people will tell you many different things when it comes to muscle recovery. I'm in my 30's, I've studied recovery extensively while training for the past 7 years in martial arts (I also distance run, play in a basketball leagues, etc.), here's what I like to do:

1. Stretch before and after class, hot tub helps if you got one. I cannot overstate the benefits of stretching.
2. Proper nutrition - fruits, vegetables, vitamins, etc. Eat as healthy as you can afford, search out foods built for recovery. I know quick shots of sugar after an intense work out help feed the muscles. Try nature fruit juice.
3. Massage. Foam rollers, rolling pins, significant other, where ever you can get it, this helps break up scar tissue if you've ripped or pulled anything, works just like stretching only more focused.
4. Rest. Sometimes you just need time off between strenuous activity.
5. More exercise. Try light, low impact exercises that help move and warm up the muscles that are strained, many publications and experts say exercise can help speed up this process.

Other things that may help:
- Check to make sure you're breathing properly aka baby breathing (use your stomach, not your chest), if you're not breathing correctly you could be depriving muscles of valuable O2 needed to fuel the intensity.
- Some teas and over the counter rubs help with sore aching muscles, make sure you can handle them before taking them.

Martial Arts is not easy, it can be very taxing and it usually gets harder as you go along so you need to put yourself in a position to safely expand your abilities. As you climb in age and difficulty, you need to work outside of the classroom to keep your body from falling apart.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience most muscle soreness clears up faster with activity than with rest.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I over did it in class last Monday and am still suffering. We did boxing drills for the whole class using muscles I don't normally use and over using the ones I do use. I haven't been able to train since then. My hips and shoulders still ache and my thigh muscles burn. So how many of you over train and suffer rather than swallow your pride and ask to leave class? And any suggestions on how to speed up muscle recovery?
Last week I had a small Krav class, 5 guys. I put on headgear, chest protector and groin guard and attacked each of them with a stick 5 times each. I hit the deck hard 25 times. For the next three days it felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Simple answer, keep on training. The pain goes away. ;)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Its common when you start new stuff to be sore afterwards for the next few days. This is just me but in cases like that I like to just keep on training. I might take an easy day but I like to mostly keep on training through the soreness and all. The body will adjust and you will be able to push yourself to new levels without being as sore. But, when you do new stuff and use muscles you don't use much otherwise you will be sore no matter how good of a shape you're in. There was this girl who had a big background in gymnastics, swimming, and ballet. She then started doing martial arts which she had never done before and she said she was sore in muscles she didn't even know she had. Even though she was in tremendous shape from all the other stuff she would do.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I like myers answer he put it well. I'm just going to add one more thing to the list. When ever you have the time relax and slowly stretch the sore joints as much as possible, don't force the stretches

Keep on training and don't give up, if you stay you will get strong. You can't just come in class and become tough quickly, it takes time, effort, and lots of "shut up and train"

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is always SOME part of the body hurting when you train a lot, when one hurt recovers another appears.. just keep training, eat and sleep well.

When someone complain to me about being sore after training I always reply that is great because it means they made an effort :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It gets easier. Not just the learning part, but the fitness and recovery part. One step at a time. Just remember, if you take too much time off, you'll just go through the same soreness over and over.

Take your time (just not too much of it) relax and have fun.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Every time we do exercises like duck walks, bunny hops and things like that my leg mussels are stiff and sore for a week or two afterwards. Whenever I go to class after that and for an hour or two afterwards is the only time I get any relief and can walk round freely. The best thing about getting sore mussels is that you know which ones have had the workout.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I used to have 2-3 sore days. But since I use our local herb oil (cimande oil) before and after training to the muscle group you trained (in my case all over my body and limbs), all sore muscles and bones are gone the next morning I wake up.
Since it cost less than a dollar per bottle for a month use, I think it worthed...
If you can't find one, dit da jaw is also potent and can easily found in chinese herb store, just makes sure you tell them you are looking for muscle soreness and bruises reliever.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, for me, I suffer through the class, or take a quick break, rather than leaving altogether. If I'm that sore or worn out, I'll skip a class. I would suggest making sure that you stretch out/warm up good on your own before class. I'm going to assume that when class starts, there is another warm up? At my school, everyone gets there early and warms up on their own. When class starts, we do a quick warm up, and when I say quick, I'm talking about 5min. We usually stretch again towards the end of class, but if we don't I make sure I take a few min. and stretch again.

I'm not sure how new you are to training, but IMHO, if you are new, I would suggest taking it slow. Go at your own pace and gradually build up. Of course, this isn't to say that you shouldn't eventually start pushing yourself a bit harder each class, but don't worry about keeping up with someone who's been training longer than you.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you're somewhat new to this kind of physical activity, it's quite normal to be very sore after a workout/class. What you need to do is distinguish between regular muscle soreness and injury - the latter of which you obviously want to avoid while training.

Don't be afraid to take your classes at your own pace, rather than bowing out altogether. As you continue to train, your body will begin to adapt to hard work and you won't be AS sore for AS long afterwards.

It's like the old cliche of doing a 'leg day' at the gym after not doing one for a while. Y'know - where you can't even walk up or down a flight of stairs the next day.

OP
K

karatemom3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I'm feeling much better. Soaking in hot water and just using heating pads on my thighs helped. I used tiger balm on my bad shoulder. But the rolling pin on my leg muscles was one thing I had never tried and that really helped relaxing the muscles so I could sleep. I'm still waiting for my husband to ask what I'm doing with a rolling pin in bed.

I've been training for years but was burnt out; physically in bad shape when switched to a shotokan school a year ago. I usually can only train twice a week because of my crazy schedule. I work 12 and 1/2 hour over night shifts every third or fourth night and every third weekend. Most of the time I am too tired to work out at home after I work. And I'm not young any more. I'll be 60 next year. But I won't stop trying.

Now I make sure I have time to warm up before class and cool down after. Sometimes I throw a heating pad on my thighs on my way to class. I started drinking protein drinks after class a few months ago. My diet isn't too bad but getting enough sleep is a problem when you work nights.

I'm just going to keep doing what I can and not try to keep up with the teenagers. And I will bow out before I really do it.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Active rest, mate. Try stretching or mobility exercises, or jump-rope. That third suggestion's a favorite of mine when I haven't fully recovered from the previous evening's/morning's workout. There are a lot of things you can do with a jump-rope, and there's a terrific book out on jump-rope based workouts I'd recommend.

That being said, now might be a good chance for you to assess the limits of your own work capacity. The overload principle works best when you rev it up incrementally over time, allowing yourself to adjust to the heavier loads over a certain time period, depending on your goals or your workout. I'm very anal about this principle with my kettlebell and bodyweight training, but I'm sure it applies to all training, whether generic or sport-specific.