Sucessful use of 3-sectional staff in full-contact sparring

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
See I would have thought if there was ever going to be a conceptual arms race. It would be dog brothers.

Oh there is, but there simply aren't many BJJ black belts out there, I can think of one that I know of out of the active Dog Brothers in the US though there may be more that I am not aware of. I know of at least two browns and the numbers go up from there for the lower ranks. It is an important range but only one part of the arms race. One other factor that apparently isn't as big in Europe or Canada is the use of hideaway knives in the US Gatherings. I can make up for my BJJ white belt with a knife. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice video. The 3 section staff is really difficult to use. It was good to see someone give it try. I notice that he kept it away from the legs of his opponents. I was surprised that he decided to use the weapon as a long weapon when he knew that the risk for someone running in is greater. The protective equipment should have changed the strategy. There were also no pokes. If I knew how to use a 3 section staff then I probably wouldn't use those things either. It's sparring and not a real fight. I would never wish someone to be permanently injured for the sake of showing the effectiveness of a weapon.

I would have thought that the nature of the 3 sectional staff would make it good as a weapon that trap limbs or even wrap it around someone's neck to choke them out. I wish I knew more about the 3 section staff. I don't like it much because I would really need to be a higher skill than I'm willing to shoot for. The 3 section staff is an advance skill weapon. I don't think a beginner or intermediate skill level will be en it would be nice to know how it was used. The only thing that I'm sure of just form seeing people practice and beat themselves up with, is that you don't want to get get hit with it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so the theory there would be if I can drop a guy with rattan. I am going to be a real issue with a steel bar.
Yes. I think the only thought adjustment is for understanding what it means to face a harder weapon, and not to depend upon the tactics that work against rattan simply because it is rattan. Like sparring without knockouts - I could develop an inflated sense of safety.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. I think the only thought adjustment is for understanding what it means to face a harder weapon, and not to depend upon the tactics that work against rattan simply because it is rattan. Like sparring without knockouts - I could develop an inflated sense of safety.

Conversely you should hit and recover a bit quicker because the other guy wont drop.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was quite interesting to say the least. I have started training with sansetsukan. Not very good at it and can't imagine using it for legit self defense at this point.

Latest Discussions