Sublevel 4, Sublevel 5?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I have a question for Mr. Chapel.

I was taking a look at the 2006 Kenpo Internationals in the Netherlands and noticed the list of instructors and their respective seminars. One of the instructors, is from my city of London, Ontario, Mr. Steve Stewart, who trains under Frank Trejo in Kenpo and George Dillman in kyusho jitsu. Steve is a very accomplished martial artist who has trained with many reputable masters.

My knowledge of sublevel 4 has been restricted to what I have read, but I noticed that he is teaching "sublevel 4 & 5" in his seminars.

http://www.ikc2006.nl/

or taken directly from the website:

The Modern Science of Selfdefense

Sublevel 4 & 5

by
Dr Steve Stewart PhD

I never knew there was anything called "sublevel 5". Could you educate us about these areas?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
Mr. Seabrook,

As a long time Kenpo student, I know of no references ever made to the existence of a 5th distance as outlined by Mr. Parker Sr. However because I am not "all knowing" I will leave that explanation to Mr. Stewart, whose kenpo training would appear on the surface to be somewhat limited.

Of the four distances, all of them have sub-level categories as I was taught, with the fourth distance containing the most difficult and controlling "Control Manipulation."

Most recently many have jumped on the "martial science SL-" bandwagon to promote what they do. Although in many ways it is a compliment to the material, I am concerned about persons gaining a false impression what the "sub-levels" are all about. Fortunately I have been personally exposed to enough people who can tell the real from the phoney.

Part of the misconception and why some adopt these terms is because they think they know what it is all about. There was a period when everyone thought SL-4 Martial Science™ was about "Contact Manipulation," so they claimed they had been doing it for years. Wrong! Then they surmised after I did a couple of camps and knocked people out, that it is all about nerve strikes. Wrong again!

Although SL-4™ contains all of these things, what it is really about is the bio-mechanical physics of dynamic human interaction, and when it comes to that, I'll stand toe-to-toe with anyone regardless of the title or background. Claims are easy, but I've put in the work and continue to do so and will match knowledge with anyone. It is a fascinating field of study, and as more become exposed and desire the education, you'll hear more about, and see more of SubLevel Four kenpo Concepts.™

Its not "magic," it truly is "science," and you can't learn it by re-arranging techniques.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Mr. Seabrook,

As a long time Kenpo student, I know of no references ever made to the existence of a 5th distance as outlined by Mr. Parker Sr. However because I am not "all knowing" I will leave that explanation to Mr. Stewart, whose kenpo training would appear on the surface to be somewhat limited.

Of the four distances, all of them have sub-level categories as I was taught, with the fourth distance containing the most difficult and controlling "Control Manipulation."

Most recently many have jumped on the "martial science SL-" bandwagon to promote what they do. Although in many ways it is a compliment to the material, I am concerned about persons gaining a false impression what the "sub-levels" are all about. Fortunately I have been personally exposed to enough people who can tell the real from the phoney.
Thanks Mr. Chapel for the info. Like I said, I have never heard of a sublevel 5, and wanted my intuition about it to be confirmed directly by you.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Latest Discussions