Stupid questions re: back hand knife-hand blocks

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The root of it is "connecting."

Connect your qi to their qi, connect your mind to their intent. Feel their qi move at the direction of their intent, and their qi will move your qi, starting you into action and reaction...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
C

chufeng

For a beginner, we do one-step drills with set attacks and set defenses...we emphasize the "feeling" of the attack...the attacker must attack with strong intent...the defender must "feel" the attack...once they have that particular pattern down, they do the same attack and defense, but the attack is launched unannounced...the defender must move in the correct timing which can only occur if he feels the attack...once that is easy, we then move on to free style one step drill which allows them to move around...the attack is launched from either side, unannounced...Of course, we run through many different attacks and defenses...we pull the sequences directly out of our forms...

To develop the feeling of "connection" we'll have two students press a stick into the area just below their navals...one person is designated to initiate a variety of stepping actions...the other person must retreat or follow...the stick will drop if the timing is wrong...

Hope this helps.

chufeng

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
For a beginner, we do one-step drills with set attacks and set defenses...we emphasize the "feeling" of the attack...the attacker must attack with strong intent...the defender must "feel" the attack...once they have that particular pattern down, they do the same attack and defense, but the attack is launched unannounced...the defender must move in the correct timing which can only occur if he feels the attack...once that is easy, we then move on to free style one step drill which allows them to move around...the attack is launched from either side, unannounced...Of course, we run through many different attacks and defenses...we pull the sequences directly out of our forms...

To develop the feeling of "connection" we'll have two students press a stick into the area just below their navals...one person is designated to initiate a variety of stepping actions...the other person must retreat or follow...the stick will drop if the timing is wrong...

Hope this helps.

chufeng

Thats exactly what I do.:D

Just kidding. Thats interesting. I'd like to hear more.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
You would really need to describe the technique a little better. I think we all can understand what you are probably trying to describe, but it would level the playing field more evenly if you described what you were doing in more detail...

Everything can be used in tournament and/or real life situations. There is little that is contained in authentic, living, "real" martial arts that is not directly applicable to a "real life" situation, whether fighting is involved or not...

Here's where the Old Fart wags his finger at the Newbie.

Since you are a self-described newbie, and none of us seem to be intimately familiar with your school or teacher, you should rely not so much on the opinions of others outside your school who provide answers via internet communication, but rather listen attentively to the person you are studying under. It would seem to me that, long winded or not, your teacher would know more about what you are supposed to be learning than we would.

Secondly, making such a comment is, in a very real sense, completly disrespectful. You shouldn't be obedient and respectful because you are learning some mystical, magical, exotic art, but because this person has taken on the role of providing you with instruction. Rather than paying attention to his explanation and direction, you instead come here in search of a second opinion...

Naughty Little Shoto! :miffer:

I understand wanting to come here and ask questions. But you should look and listen at the source before exploring what others think is more appropriate.

Gambarimasu.

Dam that was good. And I concur.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The root of it is "connecting."

Connect your qi to their qi, connect your mind to their intent. Feel their qi move at the direction of their intent, and their qi will move your qi, starting you into action and reaction...

Gambarimasu.

I do train like that except I don't take it as far as the Wing Chun guys that I"ve trained with. But I am working a modified Chi Sao with a Wing Chun guy and a JKD guy, I'm sure my sensitivity is going to take a step forward.

I was trained with sensitivity drills but it was directed at intercepting. The sensitivity leading to the ability to intercept. My Sifu is way more serious than me and it shows. I'm just an adventurer and I like to train in other arts as well. My hat is OFF to those of you who are able to stay true to your art. I know my Sifu wishes that I was.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
JMHO, knife-hand block is a crap shot. In real life, for most people who attempt to use it, the attacker's strike will just go right through it. Most people don't condition their knife hand to be strong enough to handle the strike. Inside the dojang, it works, b/c your training partner is not trying to break your neck.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
JMHO, knife-hand block is a crap shot. In real life, for most people who attempt to use it, the attacker's strike will just go right through it. Most people don't condition their knife hand to be strong enough to handle the strike. Inside the dojang, it works, b/c your training partner is not trying to break your neck.

Well, bear in mind that any block is crap if it isn't accompanied with footwork to reposition the person blocking. Anyone that thinks their block alone will be sufficient against a determined opponent is perhaps thinking shallowly. It can be done, holding one's ground and deflecting attacks with nothing more than the movement of an arm. But some blocks are simply there to provide a "fence" on the "perimeter" of a person's position, to keep the opponent's attacks on the outside of the fence rather than penetrating into the interior.

Gambarimasu.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, bear in mind that any block is crap if it isn't accompanied with footwork to reposition the person blocking. Anyone that thinks their block alone will be sufficient against a determined opponent is perhaps thinking shallowly. It can be done, holding one's ground and deflecting attacks with nothing more than the movement of an arm. But some blocks are simply there to provide a "fence" on the "perimeter" of a person's position, to keep the opponent's attacks on the outside of the fence rather than penetrating into the interior.

Gambarimasu.

Offense is defense and defense is offense.

Just the fact that the hand is open is a plus for me. Thinking beyond the single technique is what makes the arts work, including the techniques that people have trouble with.

OP
O

Old Warrior

Yiliquan1 understands. Most of the rest of the posts are just annoying. A knife hand block comes from behind the ear with the opposite hand chambering for an immediate counterstrike. It's good for close quarters crowded places. But, ideally, the blocker moves at a 45 degree angle to the strike so you are easily able to deflect the blow. It has its place and needs to be second nature.

What I always liked about the technique is that you can put the hand at the ear without appearing aggressive. And, if you really feel the threat is there you can use the knife hand to the neck and or collar bone. No matter how big or muscled the adversary is, either of those strikes will give you a chance to get of the situation with your ***.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Warrior
Yiliquan1 understands. Most of the rest of the posts are just annoying.

Yea, there were some annoying posts. ESPECIALLY THIS THIS ONE!:D

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blocking is the last resort.

In MuayThai, we have this saying The best block is NO BLOCK.
The last thing you want is to commit to blocking a blunt force attack.

If you can't evade, parrying is the next best thing. Of course, if you are conditioned to do it, destruction of the attacking limb is best. Riiiiight..... Given the way people train these days.... That would be a cold day in hell.

OP
C

chufeng

JN,

If you can't evade, parrying is the next best thing. Of course, if you are conditioned to do it, destruction of the attacking limb is best. Riiiiight..... Given the way people train these days.... That would be a cold day in hell

You really must come and train with us...I'll show you a cold day in hell;)

chufeng

OP
Y

yilisifu

Rats.

Now all those things I said I'd never do until hell froze over are going to come due........

No blocking IS best. Parrying also nice. Damaging the attacking limb requires skill, but can also be done. I know. It works. Cold day in hell or not.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
JN,

You really must come and train with us...I'll show you a cold day in hell;)

chufeng

Like they say on that TV show, Johnny Napalm, COME ON DOWN!!

:D
I got your cold day in hell right here!!

--Dave
Oh, and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will hop over as soon as I possibly can. lol. Looking forward to stick you to your wheelchair! :D

OP
C

chufeng

It ain't a wheelchair...it's a walker.

chufeng

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If Chufeng will be handed his walker, I suspect Mr. Napalm will be given a body cast... ;)

Whatever. Personally, I'm still waiting for Judo-kid to come up for some training...

Gambarimasu.

OP
C

chufeng

No...I play nice...and he said destruction of the attacking limbs...nothing about a broken back...

chufeng

Latest Discussions