Hand injury

L

LateBloomer

I hurt my hand blocking a kick with my hand opened (stupid, stupid, stupid) three months ago and I still can't make a fist with that hand because the knuckles of the index and middle figure still hurts from that. The doctor says the X-ray was normal so I was just waiting for the flexibility of my hand to return but it still has not.

I know lots of people has hurt their hands this way, can you tell me how long it took you to completely heal and what treatment, if any, you had for that condition?

There is no pain with normal use of my hand. There is slight pain if I try to bend them in any of the four directions and this is what I mean by lack of flexibility. I am double jointed and can bend the figures on my uninjured hand back to 90 degrees to my palm. Thanks in advance.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jammed my thumb sparring in June and it took a couple of months for it to bend into a fist again. Probably sprained. Even now, almost six months later, it is still a little stiff compared to my other thumb. (also nearly lost my nail but its halfway now grown out-just hanging on. Sprains take longer than breaks. Heat and cold help at first after initial swelling has gone down. TW

OP
O

Oak Bo

Hi LateBloomer,

You may want to take a look over at jumpstretch.com
I have seen them do amazing things with fixing sprains, and pains from shoulders to backs to necks to ankles and all sorts just through the use of mobility and thier bands.
HTH
:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, avoid blocking like that in the future!! As for your hand, I'd get it looked at a 2nd time. It certainly won't hurt getting another opinion. You might want to look at some strength building exercises that you can do. A Dr. would be able to help you with that.

Mike

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I injured my thumb a couple of years ago. It was playing a "game" and the person blocked and it got jammed. Did some ligament damage to it. The doctor said I would need surgery to get full motion back and I was like...:xtrmshock NO WAY!

It took a few months, about 3 to get most of my range back and then a few more months to get full range. It still hurts once in a while when I lift something heavy but otherwise it is fully recovered.

Good Luck.