Stupid question number 1.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do people ever get seriously hurt do Taekwondo? I understand there will always be some element of risk and that everything will be done to eliminate it. However should I expect to ever break a bone or get knocked out etc at aome point?
Although this is very rare but people have gotten killed training in Taekwondo and in other martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although this is very rare but people have gotten killed training in Taekwondo and in other martial arts.

Job's comforter.

if you are going to state that why don't you show us who and when this happened.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quoting the Daily Heil doesn't count. Principled people never believe a word that Nazi rag prints. I can't speak for the other newspaper.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
As for KOs, avoid blocking with your head and you'll be fine.

Seriously though as someone else said, most schools are probably going for only light contact to the head.

Bruises? Yes. Jammed joints? Yes. And do watch your knees. Managed to tear my meniscus and just had it fixed...will still be a while before I'm back to training.

I'm too old to do 540 spinning kicks, so my ACLs should be fine, right?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it depends on the individuals involved? If they want to or not?

In our school, yes. While most of the senior students do spar with fairly heavy contact, none really go full contact and there are a few who really prefer light contact.
You should not be required to expose yourself to a level of risk that you dins unacceptable.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quoting the Daily Heil doesn't count. Principled people never believe a word that Nazi rag prints. I can't speak for the other newspaper.
can you please tell me what daily heil is if you do not mind me asking?

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
how can fighting kill someone? like the normal tournament like you know where there are rules and regulations not a street fight or a fight in which its a life n death situation.
Here's 2 links I found just for taekwondo I know it's a negative thing to talk about for a new person but everyone should be aware of the risks going in.

Taekwondo champion drops dead during competition in front of horrified wife who was sat on judging panel

Kick Kills Taekwondo Black Belt

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can fighting kill someone? like the normal tournament like you know where there are rules and regulations not a street fight or a fight in which its a life n death situation.
I don't have any sources to cite, but people die playing normal, non-fighting sports (basketball, football, etc.). It's rare, but anytime you have contact between bodies, there's a chance of it all going wrong. I'd be surprised if nobody ever died in a gymnastics meet - no body contact, but plenty of things that could go wrong. And then there's just the chance that someone has a physical issue that makes them likely to die. A good friend of mine died minutes after participating with me in a MA demonstration at a public festival. His death had nothing to do with the festival (rigid aortal wall burst), but he could just as easily have died minutes earlier, while in the middle of a technique.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People die in sports it happens your getting hit there's always that risk people die in boxing, mma, taekwondo any sport you can die in. It's not a regular thing but it happens it's a risk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just as a partial, very incomplete list, in no particular order...
Traumatic Hemorrhagic stroke. Traumatic Ischemic stroke. Spinal cord injury. Asphyxiation. R-on-T phenomenon caused by blunt trauma to the chest. Injuries to the liver, spleen, stomach, intestines, kidneys. Congenital defects aggravated by exertion. Asthma. Bronchospasm. Tracheal injury. Clavicle fractures resulting in injury to the subclavian artery or vein. Sternal fractures resulting in pericardial tamponade. Cardiac arrhythmias. Femoral or pelvic fractures with vascular injury. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances caused by certain idiotic methods of "making weight" for class competitions.
I can go on, if you like.
None of these things are particularly likely, but they are all possible. Tournament rules have two basic functions: keep the match fair, and minimize the risk of serious injury. The risk cannot ever be totally eliminated.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just as a partial, very incomplete list, in no particular order...
Traumatic Hemorrhagic stroke. Traumatic Ischemic stroke. Spinal cord injury. Asphyxiation. R-on-T phenomenon caused by blunt trauma to the chest. Injuries to the liver, spleen, stomach, intestines, kidneys. Congenital defects aggravated by exertion. Asthma. Bronchospasm. Tracheal injury. Clavicle fractures resulting in injury to the subclavian artery or vein. Sternal fractures resulting in pericardial tamponade. Cardiac arrhythmias. Femoral or pelvic fractures with vascular injury. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances caused by certain idiotic methods of "making weight" for class competitions.
I can go on, if you like.
None of these things are particularly likely, but they are all possible. Tournament rules have two basic functions: keep the match fair, and minimize the risk of serious injury. The risk cannot ever be totally eliminated.

I'm not going now! :eek:

Only joking! :D Ahaha. 18 hours until my first class. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hope you have fun, my friend. :)

Latest Discussions