Damage to one's mind

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you feel like you are never going to get something down and it weighs heavy on your mind, as a matter of fact so much that it is driving you crazy.

This is what is going on with me and a certain poomsae or Kata, the name is Pwongwon and it is part of BB in TKD, the hardest part for me is you start out going to the right, all this time every single one starts out going to the left or staight forward, it is a basic poomsae but my mind is not adjusting to the Kata or form as it should and it is causing me to loose my mind over it.

Has anybody else had anything like this happen to them.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this happens to everyone at some point in there training. Usually when I get a mental block I back away from whatever I was doing for a little bit and then go back to it after a little while. That seems to work well for me.
icon6.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this happens to everyone at some point in there training. Usually when I get a mental block I back away from whatever I was doing for a little bit and then go back to it after a little while. That seems to work well for me.
icon6.gif

Yea but thew thing is I have been working on this poomsae for almost a year and it is driving me nutts, my oldest son the 12 year old can already do this along with the wife and my 9 year old. I guess this is why I can teach the poomsae to my students but I'am unable to do the poomsae at the high level I expect from my students.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Brian, sometimes moving on to something else for a while will allow me to absorb what I had been doing and realize my mistakes.

Other times it isolating the particularly troublesome parts and finding an exercise that incorporates those principles and doing that for a bit to get the feel of it, then go back to what it is that is troubling.

Sometimes it is the delivery mechanism that is masking the true issue, by changing the delivery mechanism the lesson can be learned.

Just some rambling thoughts. Hopefully they make some sense, if not I will blame it on low blood (had blood drawn today). :uhyeah:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Brian, sometimes moving on to something else for a while will allow me to absorb what I had been doing and realize my mistakes.

Other times it isolating the particularly troublesome parts and finding an exercise that incorporates those principles and doing that for a bit to get the feel of it, then go back to what it is that is troubling.

Sometimes it is the delivery mechanism that is masking the true issue, by changing the delivery mechanism the lesson can be learned.

Just some rambling thoughts. Hopefully they make some sense, if not I will blame it on low blood (had blood drawn today). :uhyeah:

Yes bigshadow they make sense and cudos for giving blood

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually sometimes I find it is over concentration and focusing too much.

In those times I find if I just relax and not worry about getting it right and how I look I get through it.

Thanks at this point I will try just about anything, I even stood on my head to see if that helped and of course not.:rofl:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks at this point I will try just about anything, I even stood on my head to see if that helped and of course not.:rofl:

One more thing that I read in one of Pete Starr's posts and ironically was said by my Xingyi Sifu just this last week.

Be present in what you are doing at the time. Not the form you just did or the form you are about to do but the one you are in.

Must be a Xingyi thing.

OK I am starting to sounding like a fortune cookie again, time for me to go

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this may sound silly. But take for instance O Jang. GM always teaches poomse broken down into 4 pieces at a time. Try it, maybe it will help.

You are being your own worst enemy, I know the signs.....I am perpetually my own worst enemy. I expect a lot out of myself and that just bothers me when I have trouble.

Good luck.

Matt

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many of you feel like you are never going to get something down and it weighs heavy on your mind, as a matter of fact so much that it is driving you crazy.

This may not be exactly what you are talking about, but it may give you some insight.
I have been told that I have "post traumatic stress disorder." Now, a big part of that for me is feeling like I'm never going to be able to deal with something and it can indeed weigh very heavy on my mind. The answer to this? PROBLEM SOLVE. If something is distressing you, the most efficient and productive way to keep it from "driving you crazy." is not to ruminate on it, but to work though it until you find a solution and test it. If you find the solution, great! If it doesn't work, find another solution and test that one. Its all part of the experience we call life, kids ;)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Umm.. does this mean you never practice Kata Ura? Meaning starting the other way, doing them mirrored so to speak. If not, doing those Kata you are familiar with this way might help your mind adjust to the problematic one.

Also, try doing the Kata real slow. Wise Chinese man say "do slowly, learn fast"

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time. And just to ease your mind... I know of a master (VIII Dan) who still tells the story of when he tested for VII Dan, and started his testing pattern on the wrong foot, and had to go back and start over. It happens to everyone. Take a break from it, do it slowly but with technical correctness, and it'll come... eventually. Rushing will just make it worse.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, try this. The military alway steps off on the left foot so the TKD forms tend to go left also. Pwong Won on the other hand doesn't go any where at first, it's just stomps the ground and blocks. So think, you are still gonna go left but you first want to stomp the ground to your right to give your self momentum to push off and go left. I know it sounds a little strange but it worked with one of my students that was having the same problem. Work only those 2 movements (right stomp and low block -left stomp and out side block) and see if it makes since to you.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, try this. The military alway steps off on the left foot so the TKD forms tend to go left also. Pwong Won on the other hand doesn't go any where at first, it's just stomps the ground and blocks. So think, you are still gonna go left but you first want to stomp the ground to your right to give your self momentum to push off and go left. I know it sounds a little strange but it worked with one of my students that was having the same problem. Work only those 2 movements (right stomp and low block -left stomp and out side block) and see if it makes since to you.

thanks I will try

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
believe it or not, Yang style Tai Chi kicks my mental ***. I'm like a first timer every day! It is SO far removed from what I know / practiced for so long it'd just foriegn to me... :confused: