Question about stretching and limb pain.

ShiningFist

White Belt
Reaction score
Please forgive me first and foremost if this is in the wrong section of the forums. I am new to the forum so bare with me here. I studied martial arts since I was around 10 yrs old. Back then stretching, high kicking, it all came natural to me. I was able to do splits and everything. This continued into my early 20's. However during my mid twenties to now (I'm 30 yrs old), I went through a huge state of depression and anxiety. I wasn't working out like I use to. This went on for years as I said.

Nowadays It's weird but when I stretch I can't stretch like I use to. If try to do high side kicks or roundhouse kicks, I feel this strain and pain around my thighs or bones in that area. It's almost as if I could pull something or break something if I keep trying to kick any higher. I can't do splits any more either. I started stretching again as much as I could on a daily basis. My question to anyone here is, do you think it's possible I could get my flexibility back?

I'd also like to note that the years I trained with dedication, I sat on the ground a lot, so my legs were stretched out a lot. During my years of depression and lackluster training, all I did was sit around in a chair. I wanted to ask could this possibly have reshaped my limbs or so and what could be causing the pain I feel when I try to do higher kicks?

I know kicking high isn't that important. High kicks aren't my main concern, it's most like stretching and the strain I feel in my joints. I have also thought about possibly trying to find some Tai Chi for health classes and even Yoga if anyone thinks it might help out.

Thanks for any information you can give me. Again I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've said this many times here and elsewhere but if you aren't already, get into dynamic strecthing exercises and supplement your static strecthing with this (google/youtube dynamic stretching for martial arts - there's specific stuff out there). I know people that have started ballet and dance for fun in their 30s and can now do amazing flexible stuff so unless you have an injury (probably not) I don't see why you can't gradually get your flex back...when you age you need to constantly keep things up to stay at that ability which you could pick up any ol time when in teens and tweens - life sucks like that - but it means when you get into your late 20s and 30s you can't afford to bum around on the couch, which is a good thing!! : )

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey ShiningFist,

I'm afraid you're suffering from the onset of an incurable disease called O.L.D. You're going to have to redefine what training means, but by modifying how you go about training and introducing a proper stretching regimen you should be fine. It'll just take time.

Cole