strengths and weaknesses

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ba Gua has the rounded versatiliy of an older art with partuicularly good footwork, balance and power in striking. My particular form of Ba Gua incorporates considerable Qinna which gives it an excellent grappling component (something my teacher likes to emphasise).

On the other hand, it takes a long time to gain competence, some techniques are complicated, and it is not a ground-fighting art (though Qinna compensates for this quite well).

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One lack I see in Shaolin Kempo ( at least in USSD ) is a lack of groundfighting skills

There is a lot of holes in Shaolin Kempo's game. First off, what if they were to go against a wrestler? Those guys know how to go from one takedown to the other...have a solid base, so there goes the "leg sweep" for most SKK practioners that don't know how to wrestler. Now, there is some jujitsu, but escapes are not practiced...so, what happens if a person is caught in a standing joint lock? Um, they are caught. No groundfighting skills because SKK people assume they will never get taken down, so they don't have to know wrestling skills...so there's another weakness, as you said, mariachi joe. There's also the point of what happens if a SKK person meets a Thai Boxer? Can we say, where's the leg checking skills? How about a pure boxer? Bobbing and weaving in class? I don't know about that...

However, SKK does have some strengths...it gives you a good base to figure out what you want to continue to study.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a lot of holes in Shaolin Kempo's game. First off, what if they were to go against a wrestler? Those guys know how to go from one takedown to the other...have a solid base, so there goes the "leg sweep" for most SKK practioners that don't know how to wrestler. Now, there is some jujitsu, but escapes are not practiced...so, what happens if a person is caught in a standing joint lock? Um, they are caught. No groundfighting skills because SKK people assume they will never get taken down, so they don't have to know wrestling skills...so there's another weakness, as you said, mariachi joe. There's also the point of what happens if a SKK person meets a Thai Boxer? Can we say, where's the leg checking skills? How about a pure boxer? Bobbing and weaving in class? I don't know about that...

However, SKK does have some strengths...it gives you a good base to figure out what you want to continue to study.

I agree skk is a base art get to brown, black and move on.Just the same stuff after 1st and 2nd nothing worth writing home about.
Try bjj -boxing-wing chun-jkd
Then ask yourself can you fight one of their black belts and if you can let me watch.

I had a master say we do that and that later.
Well guess what? later never came. It was all part of his plan to keep us there longer. And yes it was a mcdojo.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow! :erg: Assumptions are.....well...you know. As to the other points, that applies to all of the MA's. Wrestlers, Boxers, Thai fighters, or let's just say MMA practitoners, give them all hell in a fight.

LOL. True, but as you can see, I have at least thought about where the weaknesses lie in SKK. I want to fill in the gaps, kind of like Speakman is doing with Kenpo 5.0.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wrong place to get into this debate. I don't want to ruin this person's thread. I will just say that your opinion of SKK supposed weaknesses is off, with all due respect.

I am going off of what I learned as far as SKK is concerned...and I have spent 20 years in it. If you would like, we can continue this in a PM to avoid ruining the thread.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
As am I. I've been involved with the system in one form or another for more than that. I remeber how the old way was taught, and what was focussed on. No need to PM, the attacks on SKK have been ongoing in theses forums, in one form or another. (by the same members, based on business relations and not the art itself) I have tried to play the role of a diffuser, and am done with the issue.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As am I. I've been involved with the system in one form or another for more than that. I remeber how the old way was taught, and what was focussed on. No need to PM, the attacks on SKK have been ongoing in theses forums, in one form or another. (by the same members, based on business relations and not the art itself) I have tried to play the role of a diffuser, and am done with the issue.

I am not trying to completely attack the system. There are strengths. it gives a good basis to start your learning process. We obviously have different experiences as far as learning the system goes...and frankly, it's ok to disagree on it. Let's agree to disagree and move on. I have no intention of creating enemies.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
That's fine, because neither do I. I've been trying to stop the petty fighting that goes on. All I would say then, since there are those of us out there, that have had different training in SKK, please don't speak in absolutes about what SKK does or doesn't have. Talk from your own experiences and state so first, to be fair.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's fine, because neither do I. I've been trying to stop the petty fighting that goes on. All I would say then, since there are those of us out there, that have had different training in SKK, please don't speak in absolutes about what SKK does or doesn't have. Talk from your own experiences and state so first, to be fair.

alrighty then. anyway, moving on now...

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree skk is a base art get to brown, black and move on.Just the same stuff after 1st and 2nd nothing worth writing home about.
Try bjj -boxing-wing chun-jkd
Then ask yourself can you fight one of their black belts and if you can let me watch.

I had a master say we do that and that later.
Well guess what? later never came. It was all part of his plan to keep us there longer. And yes it was a mcdojo.

Yeah I've been there ( still am ). SKK has been a good place to learn the basics though. I strength would probably be that for a smaller person like me you learn how to sidestep and counter with multiple stikes instead of the one punch knockout ( unless they have a glass jaw, I'm not knocking anyone out in one hit).

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have a closed mind and look at an art, or technique for that matter, only for what it is, and not what it can be, then there may be a plateau or wall so-to-speak. I believe that goes for any art. It is experimentation and investigation, the development and modification of the art and techniques that has allowed martial arts to evolve over the years. I'm part of SKK, and I take the concepts and theories of the movements shown to me and investigate them. I make them work for me and my body type. I develop counters to possible counters of the techniques, different endings for different situations. Make adjustments depending on how opponents of various size may move off of the same type and power of strike. Yes, same strike, same power, different opponent size, different reaction, different outcome, all things that should be considered when performing a given technique.

Any way, I see strength in SKK and all kempo systems ... keep an open mind. And my training, under both FVSSD and USSD has changed since attaining black belt ... must be my good luck with instructors.