Martial Arts Sparring Video W/Karate & Drunken Kung Fu

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a video clip from I believe a Japanese TV show showing Karate vs. a Drunken CMA practitioner and another CMA practitioner.

Last edited by a moderator:

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know extremely little about the "drunken" style, but isn't it out if its' element in the ring? In other words, isn't it meant for the street to trick and bait your opponent into thinking you are drunk?

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The character doing the kung-fu had no real skill at all. He's lucky he didn't get badly hurt...it's this kind of silliness that gives kung-fu a bad name-

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thread on this video was done in the CMA section here.....

Thread

Thanks 7starmantis for posting the link. I think that what really is interesting here is why would you play by anothers rule set. (generally it will only end badly) Drunken Kung Fu is an art that is set up for surprise. There is no surprise in a prearranged sparring match. Therefore to be effective the Kung Fu practitioner should have not been pretending to be drunk as his opponent knows he is not. That was the mistake here in my opinion. Take that out and the match might have been drastically different. (the kung fu guy based on the video could take a shot)

Now, knowing this is Japanese TV they may have asked him to move like that. (heck they may have even paid him) We just do not know.

Latest Discussions