Strange results

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got the following:

I received the forward below this past week, and just thought I would pass it along.
Regardless of your political following, it does make you wonder how this happens.
Before you do this, know that the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google
is intended to take you to the most relevant website for your search
without you having to browse sites. For instance, entering "cancer" will
automatically take you to the American Cancer Society website. Entering
"apples" will take you to the website for the Washington State Apples
Commission.
It's interesting what the word "failure" will get you if you're feeling lucky...
Follow these directions:
1.) go to www.google.com
2.) type in "failure" in the search field (without the quotes)
3.) press the "I'm feeling lucky" button (instead of "Search")
4.) forward this email if you desire

I actually thought it might be something like this.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Google is aware of this issue. Apparently there is a way that "someone" can force search results to go where they want.

if you check the google/googleblog you can read about it.

Pretty sad to spend your time creating practical jokes like these.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The more web pages that link to a page, the more important Google's PageRank algorithm considers it to be. If enough web pages hyperlink Failure to a particular page, Google interprets that as meaning that the consensus of web users is that if you're interested in "failure" then this is a good page for you to visit. (The technique actually uses the dominant eigenvector of the term-frequency matrix.) Google's popularity reflects the basic correctness of this assumption. It's a problem for them when people intentionally make misleading links.

I think they started this googlebomb as "miserable failure" originally.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Funny stuff, but it's kinda weird that someone can 'force' search results to go where they want. (insert "Twilight Zone" music) :mst:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The more web pages that link to a page, the more important Google's PageRank algorithm considers it to be. If enough web pages hyperlink Failure to a particular page, Google interprets that as meaning that the consensus of web users is that if you're interested in "failure" then this is a good page for you to visit. (The technique actually uses the dominant eigenvector of the term-frequency matrix.) Google's popularity reflects the basic correctness of this assumption. It's a problem for them when people intentionally make misleading links.

Gee Arni two cult references in your mathematical discussion ;)

Eigan which makes me think of Ghost Busters and Matrix of course the obvious and the not so obvious Johnny Pneumonic.

It is nice to see that there is an actual application for some of that there math stuff I learned in college :D

Thanks

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Gee Arni two cult references in your mathematical discussion ;)

Eigan which makes me think of Ghost Busters and Matrix of course the obvious and the not so obvious Johnny Pneumonic.

It is nice to see that there is an actual application for some of that there math stuff I learned in college :D

Thanks

Johnny Mnemonic.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got another one, but you really don't want to see it. Maybe in the After Dark section, but even then, only if you're disturbed. It makes for a great practical joke (they never see it coming).

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One reason I quit going to school for astrophysics was so I wouldn't have to hear terms like "eigenvector" again.

Thanks a lot, Arni, ya rat bastich.

Cthulhu

arnisador said:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try so hard to educate you, and this is the thanks I get!

Besides, eigenvectors are for beginners. The rest of us use generalized eigenfunctions or even eigenoperators... :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I try so hard to educate you, and this is the thanks I get!

Besides, eigenvectors are for beginners. The rest of us use generalized eigenfunctions or even eigenoperators... :D

:erg: *twitches*

Latest Discussions