Sticks are easy to come by

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in the woods... why not grab a handful of dirt to throw at the attackers face? Dirt you can find in the woods, and you should be able to get a reaction from most folks by throwing dirt in their face.
That would gain some seconds, perhaps. Unless they are wearing glasses, then it would at least probably get a blink.

Of course, if what you grab is dead leaves, it’s much less likely to reach them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last part of that, which is that which weapon is most likely to be handy, is most likely a stick, or an improvised knife, depending on your setting. But that doesn't mean they are easy to come by, which was the argument proton was making in the OP.

As for the rest, I'd agree that if you are aware of some sort of attack you might have a chance to grab something; that goes along with the idea of preparing something. Most of the time though, the better option is to avoid whatever the threat is, rather than grabbing a stick. For your example of a snake blocking the way while hiking, the better option would be to make a little loop and look for a better way across, if the snake looks to be a dangerous snake. Grabbing a stick and trying to move it or attack it only increases the chance of a bite. It's only in specific, contrived situations (You're hiking with someone, someone you're with just got injured and needs help ASAP, and the only way for you to get back is through a bridge/small trail surrounded by cliff/etc. that has a snake on it) where you can recognize an imminent threat, while at the same time not having the option of avoiding the said threat.

Granted, there are more likely situations, like photon's-a guy gets mugged, he gets out but his girlfriend/wife/friend is still there and needs help, but even then we're back to the situation of if you prepare for an eventuality, you get to decide the tool you prepared with.
I think part of the kerfuffle might just be a different idea of what “easy” is. It’s a relative term.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would work. I keep a baseball bat in my car.

Awesome. Can you swing your baseball bat in the car? Assuming you are attacked in your car? Or is it in your trunk, making it useless if you're attacked in your car? What if you've parked in underground parking lot and are 4 blocks away? Do you ask your attacker to wait while you go retrieve your baseball bat?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its better than nothing, and there are other types of sticks you can find besides fallen tree branches. Crowbars, baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, golf clubs, hockey sticks, broom and mop handles, umbrellas, tire irons, fireplace pokers, tennis racquets, you name it.
When was the last time you were viciously attacked on a driving range or golf course? In my personal experience, when I have been attacked, it has been in a bar (no easy access to crowbars or tire irons), a parking lot( well ok, once was in a bar fight that spilled out into a parking lot and a tire iron was involved), or on the street( no mops, tennis racquets or fireplace pokers). Despite being Canadian, I don't play hockey, so rarely have access to a hockey stick.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When was the last time you were viciously attacked on a driving range or golf course? In my personal experience, when I have been attacked, it has been in a bar (no easy access to crowbars or tire irons), a parking lot( well ok, once was in a bar fight that spilled out into a parking lot and a tire iron was involved), or on the street( no mops, tennis racquets or fireplace pokers). Despite being Canadian, I don't play hockey, so rarely have access to a hockey stick.
This doesn't check out. Even if you don't play hockey yourself, it's my understanding that old hockey sticks are littered all across the streets in Canada.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This doesn't check out. Even if you don't play hockey yourself, it's my understanding that old hockey sticks are littered all across the streets in Canada.
Much like the rumour about nicotine in Tim Hortons coffee, the old story of Canadian streets being littered with old hockey sticks is greatly exaggerated. Many are gathered up by itinerant stick collectors and turned into bedroom furniture so young Canadians can dream of being the next Wayne Gretsky. Hockey Headboard | The Store Next Door Gift Shop

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would gain some seconds, perhaps. Unless they are wearing glasses, then it would at least probably get a blink.

Of course, if what you grab is dead leaves, it’s much less likely to reach them.

Throw a bear at them. I hear they are quite dangerous.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Pool cues.
Video: Pool cues and chairs thrown as bar fight spills onto streets | Daily Mail Online

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not as dangerous as a spider, I hear. Though spiders are hard to throw. They're so light.

I don't know. This one i found in my laundry had some mass to it.

20191019_151958.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Can you swing your baseball bat in the car? Assuming you are attacked in your car? Or is it in your trunk, making it useless if you're attacked in your car? What if you've parked in underground parking lot and are 4 blocks away? Do you ask your attacker to wait while you go retrieve your baseball bat?
Responding in order:
  • There are other ways to use one than swinging, and those can be used in a car, though I'd argue any weapon inside a car is pretty hard to deploy usefully.
  • I've never understood that approach. If you have time to walk back and get it out, in a lot of cases, you should just leave.
  • A weapon in the car is generally for when you're in or near the car.

Latest Discussions