OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's no garauntees in anything. One can only try to properly prepare in order to try and tilt the scales in their favor.

I'm not saying it would "prevent" any occurance, but if the parent had run a background check it is possible they would see something that made them uncomfortable and therefore would not enroll their child and put them in a dangerous environmnet.

That sounds very unusual. Do parents and consumers run background checks on professionals in your state? I don't know any state in the country that supports that level of intrusion, but I've been wrong before.

Here in positions that require background screening, it is done at the time of hire and tthe only people with the information is the individual's HR department (or hiring manager if there is no HR). FACTA laws apply if HR garnered the information from a reporting agency. Background checks are rarely done after the point of hire so someone hired in 1995 that was busted doing something illegal 2 years ago on vacation in Vegas may not get caught unless they change jobs.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds very unusual. Do parents and consumers run background checks on professionals in your state? I don't know any state in the country that supports that level of intrusion, but I've been wrong before.

Here in positions that require background screening, it is done at the time of hire and tthe only people with the information is the individual's HR department (or hiring manager if there is no HR). FACTA laws apply if HR garnered the information from a reporting agency. Background checks are rarely done after the point of hire so someone hired in 1995 that was busted doing something illegal 2 years ago on vacation in Vegas may not get caught unless they change jobs.

Anybody can have a background check done on anybody. All you have to do is pay for it.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody can have a background check done on anybody. All you have to do is pay for it.
True, they also have free checks butyou can't really trust these sources. I can't remember which service I paid for but I came up 100% clean, nothing to report. I demanded my money back and got it.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
one must ask what happend in his life to trigger him off to do such a thing ? or has he always been this way and suppresed it and now with technology so easy to come by he just couldnt resist ? ( knodding my head trying to understand ) well i hope his MA skills are up cause hes gonna need em jail :BSmeter:

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
It definetly doesn't help with the images of martial art schools in Ct. I do feel bad for the victims as wel as the owner and instructor who was arrested because who knows what was going through his head at the time.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
All a clean background check shows is that they guy hasn't been caught yet!