Starting (Seriously this time)

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm actualy join for real this time. They say it's a kung fu studio...but my friend (who goes there) says it's kajulenbo because they teach a little bit of everything. Or something like that.

Anyway, I had an appointment with the Sifu on Wednesday. He took me into the back room with my mother and had me do a couple different things. He showed me how to get out of one type of grip, how to get out of someone hrabbing you by your shirt, and how to kick with the ball, heel, and blade of the foot. It wasn't a true class, just so I could see if I liked it and if i wanted to stay.

So after about an hour of talking and doing a little martial art, I bought my unifrom and am going back next Monday for a real class. Needless to say I'm very excited. ^ ^

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, stay with it this time.

Kosho

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations! I still remember when I first signed up for classes...I was so excited that I couldn't sleep for about two days.

Just curious, what does your uniform look like (since there seemed to be some confusion in whether or not it was kung fu)? Just curious!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actualy join for real this time. They say it's a kung fu studio...but my friend (who goes there) says it's kajulenbo because they teach a little bit of everything. Or something like that.

Anyway, I had an appointment with the Sifu on Wednesday. He took me into the back room with my mother and had me do a couple different things. He showed me how to get out of one type of grip, how to get out of someone hrabbing you by your shirt, and how to kick with the ball, heel, and blade of the foot. It wasn't a true class, just so I could see if I liked it and if i wanted to stay.

So after about an hour of talking and doing a little martial art, I bought my unifrom and am going back next Monday for a real class. Needless to say I'm very excited. ^ ^

Congrats on finding a new school and setting some goals with your training!!:ultracool Who are you training with?

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Takeing that first step into a school is a BIG step.

Keep us informed on your progress

OP
krieger

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The unifrom is a Gi. It's black with the schools name on the back.

The Sifu is Doug Bailey.

And I found on the studios website that it is Kajukenbo Tum Pai Kung Fu.

OP
krieger

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay!

Today I had my first class today and it was really fun. There isn't a beginners class, you just have to jump into it. So I was a little in the dark today on somethings, but the instructor helped me. We started off with warm ups, L shaped hand (can't remember the name), then sit ups, fist push ups, sit ups, and then wrist push ups, and then more sit ups. I had never seen/done a wrist push up before. It was an interesting feeling...Then we did leg stretches and stuff like that.

After that, the instructor showed me the first form and I practiced that for a while. Then we partnered and practiced punchesm reverse punches, and back hand punches. Then we sparred. That felt akward. I didn't have any gear or experience as the others (being the only white belt in the class). I first sparred with someone a little taller than me. He was probably 5'10". He was nice and told me some different things. And then, the instructor had me spar with an adult...It felt like I was kinda lfinging my arms around. But that's because I havn't deceloped the muscle memory for the moves. He did some kicks and I hadn't been shown much, but he was kicking around my mid section/legs. I was trying to protect that area, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I know, I need some gear.

Anywho, I landed a few punches. I really liked the class and hope to become at their level.

Latest Discussions