American Kenpo Classes

• Thread starter Faithful Student
  • Start date
F

Faithful Student

The dojo I'm in has classes Monday - Thursday. Kids may only go to the Monday and Wednesday classes. I turned thirteen not that long ago and my Instructor is thinking about not having the adults participate in the Monday and Wednesday classes. Even though he said he is probably going to put me into the adult program (I got my yellow belt about a month ago), I don't think this is fair to the other kids. Do any of you agree? They should have the oppurtunity to fight the adults, because if they are under attack by an adult they need to know how to take care of the situation.

If my instructor could, I think he would let the adults participate in those classes, but do you guys agree that adults and kids should be participating together?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some adults are more dangerous to have around kids than you think. An unruly kid is one thing, but an unruly adult is another. If the classes were big enough the instructor could devide the class, but there is just no good reason to take the chance that an adult without control could just accidently snap one of you kids like a twig. Not to mention an instructor can really be harder on the kids than adults will generaly tolerate; so, he can get you a lot further in the art than he could with adults to entertain.
Sean

OP
M

Mark Weiser

We do not let the Children go to Adult classes until the age of 16 even if they are Blackbelts.

The reason is the type of Training that is needed for an Adult is different than for a Child Classes.

The Children whom are Black and Brown Belts are Junior Instructors in the Childrens Classes to give them some teaching experience.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Children and Adults should not train together except in a Family Class. Adults and Children have different learning pattern, as should people taugt accordingly usually with different programs.

I teach in 3 age groups:
Tigers & Dragon ages 4 -7
Children ages 8 - 12
Teen/Adult ages 13 & up

There are reasons I use a teen/adult class system. Some young ladies start developing early, and some are at great risk when they are in those formative teen years. Muscle memory is at its peak during the teen years, so it is a great time for them to start learning the main curriculum. Another reason for the teen adult class is teh size of the students, many teens are as big as most adults, and they need to learn how to use theie newly gained size. Teens usually drop out of classes if they have to train with children.

OP
F

Faithful Student

I have the same learning pattern as the adults, this is why he is doing it in the first place.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Children and Adults should not train together except in a Family Class. Adults and Children have different learning pattern, as should people taugt accordingly usually with different programs.

I teach in 3 age groups:
Tigers & Dragon ages 4 -7
Children ages 8 - 12
Teen/Adult ages 13 & up

There are reasons I use a teen/adult class system. Some young ladies start developing early, and some are at great risk when they are in those formative teen years. Muscle memory is at its peak during the teen years, so it is a great time for them to start learning the main curriculum. Another reason for the teen adult class is teh size of the students, many teens are as big as most adults, and they need to learn how to use theie newly gained size. Teens usually drop out of classes if they have to train with children.
I agree with this I almost have the same set up but if you are under sixteen in order to be in my adult class you must be with a parent in the class. Only because of the techniques that we teach adults as I am sure you know what I am talking about.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I think that once in a blue moon a child (monitered, of course) should be allowed to particpate in a adult class. It allow the child to realise there is more to the martial arts and this is the level I will be working at some day

Todd

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adults fighting kids are not a good match. Adults have alot more mass, speed etc. and should train to their capability. It is common to split the adults and children. Only when the school is young that the classes are combined. However, we do have "family" class and large families go. Sometimes it is hard to match up the kids to kids, teens to teens, belt to belt. But for families going together it is more convenient and time saving.
Thirteen year olds should go up into the adult class. They aren't "kids" anymore and have more mass, weight so they can kick adults harder and train harder as adults really do. Plus there are probably more requirements for adults and thirteen year olds for testing. Gee, most thirteen year olds love to advance up! You're growing up! TW

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Faithful Student said:
I have the same learning pattern as the adults, this is why he is doing it in the first place.

Actually at this point in your life you learn faster than adults, and muscle memory learning is at its fastest. The problem and please don't take offense is that you are not seasoned enought to know the best application for that knowledge.

Latest Discussions