Starting Martial Arts After 50

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I passed my brown belt test. It was a small group of testers in our group. Just 4 people in the higher group, and since I was the oldest and highest ranking student, I had to lead the group. There is no place to hide when you are leading a group of just 4 students. I made a small mistake in one of my linear forms, and the master caught it and made me do it again by myself. But that was the worst of it. The rest of the test went off pretty smoothly.

Now I need to up my game,

Congratulations!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I passed my brown belt test. It was a small group of testers in our group. Just 4 people in the higher group, and since I was the oldest and highest ranking student, I had to lead the group. There is no place to hide when you are leading a group of just 4 students. I made a small mistake in one of my linear forms, and the master caught it and made me do it again by myself. But that was the worst of it. The rest of the test went off pretty smoothly.

Now I need to up my game,
Nice. Yeah, there's no place to hide when you're at the front. It's useful to both feel and be that exposed from time to time. Keeps us honest.

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Update. Last week I passed my next belt test and was promoted to probationary black belt. My avatar is a pic taken from just after the test when our instructor gave us new belts and for the new black belts, new uniform tops to wear for the group picture. Also, I lost 50 lbs since late June, when I finally figured out my diet and put it together with my training and made it work. Ideally, I would like to lose another 30 to 40 lbs before the 1st Dan test in 6 months. It would help me to better execute the more athletic moves in a style that is known for its jumping and spinning kicks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update. Last week I passed my next belt test and was promoted to probationary black belt. My avatar is a pic taken from just after the test when our instructor gave us new belts and for the new black belts, new uniform tops to wear for the group picture. Also, I lost 50 lbs since late June, when I finally figured out my diet and put it together with my training and made it work. Ideally, I would like to lose another 30 to 40 lbs before the 1st Dan test in 6 months. It would help me to better execute the more athletic moves in a style that is known for its jumping and spinning kicks.
Congratulations! That is quite a different look from your earlier photos. Excellent work. I really enjoy your updates. They attest to your commitment about your personal health and your MA's. Can't ask for any more than that.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

I am impressed. You should be very proud.
Your family should be very happy with the number of health years you have added to your life.
It gives me and others incentive to work harder.
Thank you for your post.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amazing work bro! Such a huge achievement, thanks for keeping us updated too, it helps and inspires alot of people on their journey for sure :)

Latest Discussions