Starting a New Career

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As some on this forum know, I've been pursuing switching from the U.S. Navy to the U.S. Army (a myriad of reasons as to why, namely due to disaffection with the Surface Warfare Officer community where I wound up in after failing to commission as a US Marine). I hated the often backstabbing nature of the wardroom I wound up in. Fortunately my command changed for the better as I was leaving it. I emerged from my 2.5 years in SWO a smarter, more mature individual than I was at 22 when I comissioned and I don't regret my eight years (counting my time as a Midshipman) of Navy service (1 enlisted, four at my comissioning source, and 3 as an officer).

One example of what I detested about SWO was a LT who constantly insulted me to make me learn material I had a tough time with. There's a difference between being a strict teacher and assailing a person's dignity and this man did the latter in spades. I learned from that lesson that that is not how I'm treating anyone, even a soldier who is struggling. I also learned a hard lesson in forgiving someone even if I'd rather throw them on their stomachs onto a live grenade. I was even able to pray to God that he help this man realize that belittling someone constantly is an ineffective teaching tool.

I am at the tail end of a Sandbox deployment with an Army unit as an attached enabler. I found the command I was assigned to as a refreshing 180 degree change from my last unit.

I am approaching a juncture in my life, and am due to enter the US Army as either an Engineer or Ordnance officer later this year. I know to treat all with dignity and respect regardless of what rank they may hold or what their proficiency at their trade is (at my last command how you were treated depended on your proficiency. I struggled, and thus I was treated badly and it turned into a vicious cycle). I know to trust my NCOs and in fact view them as sources of great wisdom that the wise officer shall go to. I also know that any soldier can come up with a good idea at any moment, so a wise commander will always have an ear to the ground to their words.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. :( Thats a very tough spot to be in. I hope the transition goes well, and hope you don't mind if I pray for you.

Keep us posted as to how all of this works out for you. :asian:

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not at all. I don't mind you praying for me one bit. I'm praying I remember the hard lessons I learned over the years, accomplish whatever my unit mission is and make sure my soldiers are well treated while doing so.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some on this forum know, I've been pursuing switching from the U.S. Navy to the U.S. Army (a myriad of reasons as to why, namely due to disaffection with the Surface Warfare Officer community where I wound up in after failing to commission as a US Marine). I hated the often backstabbing nature of the wardroom I wound up in. Fortunately my command changed for the better as I was leaving it. I emerged from my 2.5 years in SWO a smarter, more mature individual than I was at 22 when I comissioned and I don't regret my eight years (counting my time as a Midshipman) of Navy service (1 enlisted, four at my comissioning source, and 3 as an officer).

One example of what I detested about SWO was a LT who constantly insulted me to make me learn material I had a tough time with. There's a difference between being a strict teacher and assailing a person's dignity and this man did the latter in spades. I learned from that lesson that that is not how I'm treating anyone, even a soldier who is struggling. I also learned a hard lesson in forgiving someone even if I'd rather throw them on their stomachs onto a live grenade. I was even able to pray to God that he help this man realize that belittling someone constantly is an ineffective teaching tool.

I am at the tail end of a Sandbox deployment with an Army unit as an attached enabler. I found the command I was assigned to as a refreshing 180 degree change from my last unit.

I am approaching a juncture in my life, and am due to enter the US Army as either an Engineer or Ordnance officer later this year. I know to treat all with dignity and respect regardless of what rank they may hold or what their proficiency at their trade is (at my last command how you were treated depended on your proficiency. I struggled, and thus I was treated badly and it turned into a vicious cycle). I know to trust my NCOs and in fact view them as sources of great wisdom that the wise officer shall go to. I also know that any soldier can come up with a good idea at any moment, so a wise commander will always have an ear to the ground to their words.

Some officers never realise that and spend their lives wondering where it all went wrong. It's a wise officer that understands the value of his NCOs.
So, good luck again!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you.

I should hope I realize just what NCOs bring to the table, considering ALL my male relatives are NCOs of varying ranks.

Latest Discussions