Sports Illustrated World's Most Dominant Athlete

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not likely to happen, either, but you're missing the point.....(hell, anybody can get "caught." Ronda likely will, sooner or later.....probably "later." )

You are correct. Our top girl would be jessy jess. And as much as I would like to think she could take ronda.

I assumed the point was we want our sportswomen to beat yours just as a basic matter of national pride.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You are correct. Our top girl would be jessy jess. And as much as I would like to think she could take ronda.

I assumed the point was we want our sportswomen to beat yours just as a basic matter of national pride.
Of course. Truthfully, some serious contenders would be great for the division. Rouseys dominance points to a serious lack of depth in the division, as hard as the ufc is trying to cover it up. The media hype isn't really building up Rhonda. The reverse is actually true. The media has to build up the opposition in order to sell tickets. People want to see someone who might... Just might best Rhonda. That person isn't around right now.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. Truthfully, some serious contenders would be great for the division. Rouseys dominance points to a serious lack of depth in the division, as hard as the ufc is trying to cover it up. The media hype isn't really building up Rhonda. The reverse is actually true. The media has to build up the opposition in order to sell tickets. People want to see someone who might... Just might best Rhonda. That person isn't around right now.

Bethe Correia might or might not be a serious threat, but this is a grudge match: she's beaten Ronda's housemates, and kinda pissed her off. Ms. Rousey has a deeply rooted sense of family loyalty that borders on sociopathic, and has promised that this fight won't end quickly, so she can punish her opponent for the things she's said and done.....of course, that's likely hype to sell the fight, but I also know she's anxious to get a chance to really display her boxing chops.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah my dear friend, I will humour you because your love affair with Rousey is, sadly, one sided, she won't reciprocate. It's a bit odd though you must admit that all that ire is caused because I don't like the public persona of one female who fights in the UFC, I like quite a few of the other women who fight in the UFC ( yeah and they are even American, fancy that!). Guess what I don't like the Kardashian females either, what 'insults' will I earn I wonder from the confession!
What can I say... I'm a Meisha Tate fan not a Rousey one, so sue me. :p

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ah my dear friend, I will humour you because your love affair with Rousey is, sadly, one sided, she won't reciprocate

She's a little bit younger than my daughter, fer chrissakes.......

Besides, she couldn't handle me.

. ... I'm a Meisha Tate fan not a Rousey one, so sue me. :p

No need to sue......after all, if you're a Meisha Tate fan, yer sides gonna lose to Ronda's, every time. [/QUOTE]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's a little bit younger than my daughter, fer chrissakes.......

Besides, she couldn't handle me.

No need to sue......after all, if you're a Meisha Tate fan, yer sides gonna lose to Ronda's, every time.

Someone once said 'if you are winning all your fights you aren't fighting the right people', wise words. Would the UFC sanction a fight that their top money earner could lose?
One is a fan because one likes the team/player/fighter, and the support should be there win or lose, it would be fickle and show poor character to change your support just because your favourite lost.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Someone once said 'if you are winning all your fights you aren't fighting the right people', wise words. .

Unless "the right people" don't exist....then it's dominance, as the American magazine stated.....
. Would the UFC sanction a fight that their top money earner could lose? t.

There's likely a good financial/ rematch/rubber match strategy already in place-the day she gets beaten, they'll make even more money off the next couple of fights....

One is a fan because one likes the team/player/fighter, and the support should be there win or lose, it would be fickle and show poor character to change your support just because your favourite lost.

Well, all I can say is you'll have plenty of opportunity to show your "good character" as you support gals who fight against Ronda.....

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless "the right people" don't exist....then it's dominance, as the American magazine stated.....

Frankly, this is incorrect.

As long as she fights for UFC, we'll never know where she stands on the worldwide scale, because she cant fight anyone outside of UFC.

There have always been fighters who would be a stellar match for high level UFC guys, who never fought for UFC. For various reasons, they didnt like the limitations on match ups, dont like how Dana treats people, etc.

Rousey is a stellar fighter, but unless something changes in the UFC, we really cant consider her the worldwide greatest or 100% most dominate when she can only fight within her org.

Is she the most dominate female fighter in the UFC? Absolutely!

In the world? We have nothing to prove that

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's likely a good financial/ rematch/rubber match strategy already in place-the day she gets beaten, they'll make even more money off the next couple of fights....

Well, all I can say is you'll have plenty of opportunity to show your "good character" as you support gals who fight against Ronda.....

It's only dominance in one fight promotion and in one sport though isn't it? When she's fought all the best the world can provide then we'll see. As she's only fighting those selected for her by the UFC it can't be said that she's the 'worlds' best, open it up to challengers outside those on UFC contracts and we'll see. I've already said she's good but you must admit many people would love to see how good.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, she's good. I think fifty years from now she'll be considered the best female fighter to have ever lived.

I'm also a Meisha Tate fan. She's damn good, too. IMO

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was telling my husband about this, he laughed and said that sadly for the USA, you've exported so many 'reality' television shows like 'Honey Boo Boo, Storage Wars, Jersey Shore, Toddlers & Tiaras, the Real Housewives lot, Date My Mom ( really?), Dance Moms, 16 and pregnant, Cheaters, Sarah Palin's Alaska, that Duck Hunters thing ( no we don't watch them, just laugh at the trailers) etc etc that no one is jealous of America any more. Sorry.

Speaking of.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I just finished reading "My Fight/Your Fight" by Ronda Rousey (co-written by Maria Burns Ortiz, Ronda's sister)

What a great read, I can't recommend it enough. If you're interested in high level fighting, in Ronda herself, in MMA, Judo, fighting competition in general - or even in the attitude necessary for self defense or sheer determination in life, or sports, this is a really interesting read.

You do see that she's kinda nuts, though, right?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have rooted against Rhonda for a long time but finally just gave in that she really is that good and it is
beautiful to watch here dismantle people. I have to say that her fights in the UFC are my favorite. She is similar to when
Mike Tyson was fighting and obliterating everyone.

Tez3, frankly if the UFC could get someone to challenge here they would love it at this point. Right now though, no one has challenged her. She is blowing away the competition. Not just beating them but humiliating them! What she did to Kat Zingano was humiliating. If someone challenged and beat her the money to be made in a rematch would go through the roof.

In regards to the UFC against other organizations at this point most crossover people who were champion in another organization have had trouble in the UFC. Or they had to slowly work their way up and get used to the higher level of competition. There have been a few exception's of course but mostly that is how it has worked out. Personally I am really looking forward to the Connor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo championship fight. I do not know if Connor is quite ready for that level of competition but it will be fun to see that fight and see if he is! ;)

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fight Matrix MMA Rankings Records Statistics

That is fight matrix,s thoughts on the matter. Which is basically some sort of nerd statistical reason why she is not the most dominant athlete in mma.
That's more to do with the lack of real competition than her dominance. In this case, as the site says, it's as much about the division as it is the fighter. If Rhonda had legitimate threats in her division, her dominance rankings spwould be even higher. Wiedman, for example, is first in this list in large part because he has beaten Anderson silva.

In other words, the the stat is interesting and useful, but perhaps misnamed. Rhonda is penalized for being so much better than everyone else.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3, frankly if the UFC could get someone to challenge here they would love it at this point. Right now though, no one has challenged her. She is blowing away the competition.

How hard are they looking though, do you know? Not a sarcastic question btw, a real one.
I know of over 100 female fighters from various countries that could be matched with her, from Russians to Japanese to Thai. These are pro female fighters with very good records against very good fighters. It's a much smaller pool than the men's of course but having Rousey fight some of these fighters would go someway to show the UFC isn't protecting her. Challenging doesn't work, you have to be put on a contract by the UFC to fight on it.
This is interesting but I'm putting it here because it shows you have to have a contract from UFC to challenge one of their fighters.
The Business of Fighting A Look Inside the UFC s Top-Secret Fighter Contract Bleacher Report