Sport vs Traditional

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No worries, my bad, I was likely a bit edgy yesterday my damn sinuses were acting up.
Sorry about that

Back then Mr. Kim tended to separate the class between sport and non-sport but you could train in both if you liked, I did both briefly and then chose to train in the non-sport side. I did not realize things were different then from another TKD school. However in retrospect I should have been, After Mr. Kim closed his Worcester school I went looking for another TKD school locally and there was not one that appeared to be doing anything like he did. A few years later I went to his Boston school and things felt right again but then I moved to NYS and that was the last I trained with Mr. Kim and that was over 20 years ago

What were the differences in the sparring that you saw between his sport vs. non-sport?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What were the differences in the sparring that you saw between his sport vs. non-sport?

I'm old and it was a long time ago and I did not spend much time in the sports side, but if memory serves it was that the sports side was worried more about points and areas that you were not allowed to kick and they wore that damn painful protective gear and the non-sports side didn't care as much about where you could legally hit someone and we did not wear the gear as often and when we did we tended to wear just the gloves, if yuo had them. Also like I said we trained in close and had some simple joint locks we worked on as well so we had that too.

EDIT

We also tended to get banged up and bruised a bit more