Sport poomsae?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would contact the tournament director directly and ask this question. After looking through their rules, I did not see anywhere what they define as sport vs. traditional. I can only guess that they mean doing a traditional form with more theatrical type performance behind it or perhaps, they mean forms that involve inverted moves. Again, your best bet is to contact them directly and get their definition.

OP
V

vegas101

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion I just finished hammering out that email and hope that they get back to me soon. Also could you explain what you meant by inverted moves, not familiar with that?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Martial Talkers, this is my first time posting. Ok so there is a tournament coming up in a few months and I have not competed in a while or stayed up to date with the changes so I have a question about one of the competition events, what is the diffrence between "traditional poomsae" and "sport poomsae".
http://pag.ncsports.org/userfiles/file/2012%20Competition%20Handbook.pdf
\

Welcome to MT. This topic has been handled for years on various threads. It might be helpful for you to peruse through the taekwondo forum to get better ideas on the subject.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion I just finished hammering out that email and hope that they get back to me soon. Also could you explain what you meant by inverted moves, not familiar with that?
Inverted moves means flips and tricks in their forms. Here is an example. This is one of our instructors performances at AKA Grand Nationals:

Good luck in getting your info. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sport Poomsae for WTF rule set is nothing more than traditional poomsae but graded on a 10 point scale. You are also graded on two bases, 1 being technical, and 2 being presentation. Presentation is now 60% of your score and scores higher than technical at 40%. There are specific deductions for wrong or incorrect techniques and or sloppiness. If you perform an incorrect technique or a sloppy technique then you can be deducted anywhere from .1 to .3 points. The deductions add up quickly as something as simple as your foot being off angled by 10 degrees could be a .1 of a point deduction. A major infraction would be .3 deductions and that would be doing a low block when a middle block was the correct technique for example, even something as little as your eyes looking around will be cause for a deduction in points. Forget to look in the direction of the block or punch and you get deducted. Too much power throughout the technique (not relaxed) and there is a deduction. Most top competitors score in the high 7's and you will see the bad one in the 2 to 5 point range for scoring.

You must also know all your black belt forms (depending on your age). Most 12-13 year olds need to know up to Keumgang. 14-17 need to know up to Sipjin.and 18 and up need to know them all.

There are 4 to 6 rounds depending on how many competitors there are. Each round will have to perform 2 forms, and then the fileld gets cut in half each round until the finals with the top 8 advancing to the finals. In the finals you will do your ages two highest forms usually. They tell you what forms you will be doing in advance of the competition.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Last edited:
OP
V

vegas101

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank yall for your very helpful responses I look forward to being part of the martial talk family.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
what is the diffrence between "traditional poomsae" and "sport poomsae".

Theoretically, nothing. But I did go to a sport poomsae seminar this weekend with Master Raymond Hsu, and there were differences, mostly in the chambering or starting movements and positions. I think Master Hsu is one of the people who are most on top of the current guideline as far as WTF Poomsae competition goes. His seminar was pretty good in format and content and you can tell that he is very passionate about the subject.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Hey Martial Talkers, this is my first time posting. Ok so there is a tournament coming up in a few months and I have not competed in a while or stayed up to date with the changes so I have a question about one of the competition events, what is the diffrence between "traditional poomsae" and "sport poomsae".
http://pag.ncsports.org/userfiles/file/2012 Competition Handbook.pdf

There is no such thing as "traditional" or "sport" Poomsae. It's just Poomsae.

If someone competes in Poomsae, then at that moment they are a Poomsae competitor. If one simply just trains in Poomsae they are a Poomsae trainee. Both are martial artist, and both are participating in a sport activity. Anyone who has ever done a Poomsae in front of a judge -- for their Geup/Dan test, was participating in a Poomsae competition.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You must also know all your black belt forms (depending on your age). Most 12-13 year olds need to know up to Keumgang. 14-17 need to know up to Sipjin.and 18 and up need to know them all.

Ilyeo is not included in the WTF Competition Poomsae format.

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just another minor correction:
Sub 17: Sah Jang to Taebaek;
Sub 29: Yuk Jang to Sipjin;
Sub 39: Not sure about this one, either equal to Sub 29 or equal to sub 49;
Sub 49: Pal Jang to Chukwon;
After that you have what are considered the Masters divisions and they have from Koryo to Hansul. Like stated, Ilyeo is not included in competition.

Latest Discussions